195 45 16? Major scrubbing!

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
Conor_6n2
New
Drives: 6N2 1.4 2001

195 45 16? Major scrubbing!

Post by Conor_6n2 »

Hi Guys I'm new to the 6n2 scene and wanna slam my 2001 6n2, I kept the wheels from my old mx5 to stick on my polo and even with some arch rolling and raising the car slightly, I scrub big time!

The wheels are 16x8 whistler kr7's running 195 45 16 size tires on them. What is the best recommended size for the slammed look on 16's?

My back wheels scrub on the liner a little over bumps, and the fronts scrub on where the front bumper connects to the wing, I removed the clip holding in that point and bent the connecting hole out the way and I still scrub along that bit 🙈
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Re: 195 45 16? Major scrubbing!

Post by Aquavalver »

It depends how low you want to go. If you go higher you should be able to get away with 45 profile, but I have and most people use 195/40x16. If you had narrower wheels (I have 6 1/2 wide), you can put spacers on to push them out from the insides of the arches, but still miss the arch lips. Part of your problem is that you have 8" wide wheels in narrow wheel arches so you have problems on the inside and outside of the wheel arches trying to make them fit. It's easiest to run a car low with narrower wheels, then you can play around with spacers etc to get them to fit best
Conor_6n2
New
Drives: 6N2 1.4 2001

Post by Conor_6n2 »

Brill thank you! The standard width for aftermarket alloys in the mx5 scene was 8". I imagine it is totally different in this scene? What is the norm for low polo's? Yeah I may have to sell them and find different, more narrow wheels and use spacers. Is there anyone who has done 8" wheels on a polo with the 195/40/16 setup who is super low? Sorry I'm new to this, it is slightly different to what I'm used to 😂
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Post by Aquavalver »

Sure people have used 8” wide wheels on 6N2’s but I think they probably use the stretched tyres look if you know what that is? I don’t like that as I don’t like how it looks as they really are too narrow for the wheel, so the wheel sticks out with the tyre giving no rim protection when parking by kerbs, the handling isn’t so good, some places won’t fit them, you might get stopped by police and you might not pass the MOT-of course most of that depends how stretched they are! Yours are already stretched with a 195/45 on an 8” wheel so thinking about it you will have to be careful with the 40 profile. Look at willtheyfit.com

How the wheels fit is also down to the offset number -the lower the number the more they stick out from the hub. As you have 8” wide wheels often the only way people get too wide tyres to the car is to fit the stretched tyre look.Liks I said getting wide wheels to fit if you want to be low as well is not easy on cars with narrower arches. It was even a bit of hassle with my 6 1/2” wheels!