Strange (common?) central locking/electric windows problem

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
salow92
New
Drives: 9n3 GTI

Re: Strange (common?) central locking/electric windows problem

Post by salow92 »

Hi,

Old thread I know but I’ve got a similar problem in which the passenger side window doesn’t work from either passenger or drivers side switch. I’ve looked today and found in the rubber boot the middle plug connector is badly corroded and when removing it I found a lilac and white wire broken. Does anybody have a wiring diagram as since I’ve looked the remote central locking doesn’t work passenger side only. Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks.
AlGar-03
New
Drives: 2006 9n3 vw polo 1.2L

Post by AlGar-03 »

Hi,
I know other people have had similar problems but any help will be appreciated so I own a 2006 vw polo 9n3 1.2 I've had it roughly one month and a fault with the electrics has occoured

The front windows have stopped working on both sides (back windows are manual) I have changed the drivers window switch and they still don't work

The electric mirror control switch and the centers locking switch on the drivers door card have also stopped working

When I took the drivers door card off the foam at the bottom of the door felt damp which leads me to think there has been water ingress or a broken wire but I can't see any broken wires

Due to not having the standard key fob I need to lock the car by putting the key in the door and doing this only locks the door that the key is in

The back doors and boot won't open at all

When I got into reverse with the blowers on the heater motor gets louder and sounds like it is catching on something

When I bought the car a few days later the engine light came on so I took it back to the dealer and got it repaired for free and he said that if any other issues happen to bring the car back and he'll give me a full refund on the car (£1300) when the dealer had the car back I asked him if he could get the electric windows fixed while the car was at the garage and I got no reply and was 2 weeks when I got the car back

Any help would be appreciated thanks!
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Post by Maarten »

When holding the key in the doorlock in the "open" position, do all electric windows open?
If not, there is no power to the windowmodule in the drivers door

Does the red "alarm" led blink when doors are locked?
If not, broken wire, most likely in the door bellow

Does your interior lights come on when opening the drivers door?

When key is on acc or with running engine, when opening the drivers door, does the open door symbol LED come on in the cockpit/tacho?

So my first guess would be a broken wire or broken wires in the drivers door bellow.
Make a scan if possible, look in Adress 46

When going in reverse, the incoming air is blocked so engine gasses won't enter the cabin.
So one clicking noise when it is closing is normal
BJ1
New
Drives: 9n3

Post by BJ1 »

Every winter I had this problem. No electric windows and c/l only working from lhs front door. Usually it sorted itself when some dry weather occured, but not this spring so I was driving around in warm sunshine, cooking in the Polo.

I noticed that several other people had tracked it down to the front rhs window motor that has a pcb inside that also operates the c/l. So off to the scrapyard looking for a replacement 6Y1959801. Couldn't find one in a Polo so I took one from a Seat Ibiza 6Q1959801A . (According to our very knowledgeable scrap man, the same window motor is also fitted to Skoda Fabias and VW vans around 2005-2009). It looked very similar and had the right plugs and pins. Changed it in the yard and bingo! - it all works as it should. Cost £60 but worth it as they are at least £150 new on eBay and over £200 from VW main stealers.
So thanks to everyone on here (especially Alan) for pointing me in the right direction! This thread is a goldmine!

Being curious about why the window motor failed, I took the PCB out of the unit - easy to remove as it has 6 clips holding the top in place. Undo the clips and it slides out. I can see no obvious faults on the PCB (which seems to have a microprocessor chip on the board) but a small amount of corrosion on the pins connecting the large plug. I'll clean those and try it in the door - if it works I might just have a spare!
seyekutty
New
Drives: 2006 VW Polo 1.4 Auto

Post by seyekutty »

BJ1 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:33 pm Every winter I had this problem. No electric windows and c/l only working from lhs front door. Usually it sorted itself when some dry weather occured, but not this spring so I was driving around in warm sunshine, cooking in the Polo.

I noticed that several other people had tracked it down to the front rhs window motor that has a pcb inside that also operates the c/l. So off to the scrapyard looking for a replacement 6Y1959801. Couldn't find one in a Polo so I took one from a Seat Ibiza 6Q1959801A . (According to our very knowledgeable scrap man, the same window motor is also fitted to Skoda Fabias and VW vans around 2005-2009). It looked very similar and had the right plugs and pins. Changed it in the yard and bingo! - it all works as it should. Cost £60 but worth it as they are at least £150 new on eBay and over £200 from VW main stealers.
So thanks to everyone on here (especially Alan) for pointing me in the right direction! This thread is a goldmine!

Being curious about why the window motor failed, I took the PCB out of the unit - easy to remove as it has 6 clips holding the top in place. Undo the clips and it slides out. I can see no obvious faults on the PCB (which seems to have a microprocessor chip on the board) but a small amount of corrosion on the pins connecting the large plug. I'll clean those and try it in the door - if it works I might just have a spare!
Thanks for this BJ1