1.8TFSI Manual Clutch Slip when cold?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
simmi098
New
Drives: 2016 Polo 6C GTI

1.8TFSI Manual Clutch Slip when cold?

Post by simmi098 »

Hi everyone :)

Anyone had issues with the GTI slipping its clutch in 6th gear? Vehicle is completely stock with 38k on it and I've had it from new.

Drove through a reasonably sized puddle, but nothing excessive like wading, thought nothing of it, about 2 miles later I noticed when flooring it at about 2500-3000rpm the revs jumped up quickly in 6th, then when let off the throttle they would jump back down quickly, did this a couple times to be sure. This must have been about 5 miles into my journey, so not quite fully warmed up. Tried to get it do it again today and couldn't get it to slip, but this was about 20 miles into the journey.

Looking at the stock torque curve, it does look like this is right on the peak torque, but the clutch should handle this surely?

Curious of peoples experiences with this as I don't really want to replace the clutch just yet, it's a daily commuter (60 miles a day down the motorway) and doesn't get driven that rediculously, so I'm surprised that it's slipping already.
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Re: 1.8TFSI Manual Clutch Slip when cold?

Post by Gee40 »

A few people on here have reported clutch slipping at low miles but its doesn't seem to be a common problem, but 38K miles is low to be genuine wear unless you slip the clutch a lot. I'm not a mechanic and so may be wrong on this but I can't see how driving through a puddle would have any impact on the clutch - If it is slipping I would have thought its a coincidence. When you say the revs "jumped quickly" did the engine noise match this or did the engine remain smooth etc. The reason for asking, last summer I was out in my Mk1 Golf GTI when the rev counter occasionally took on a life of its own when I put the engine under real load - similar to what I'd expect to see if the clutch was slipping except engine noise remained consistent. When it did this, i started to notice a slight misfire. Cut a long story short I had a crack in the distributor cap that when replaced fixed the problem. The feed for the rev counter is taken from the Distributor/coil on the Mk1. Not sure if this is the case on the 6c. I doubt this is the issue, but its the only thing I could think of that could link the puddle to sudden jumps on the rev counter.

If it is the clutch and you plan to keep the car, If funds allow, I'd think about a Sachs Organic Clutch which keeps the standard feel of the clutch but can handle way more torque than the standard 6c GTI. I think the complete clutch kit is around £650.

Hope this helps
samhfisher1995
New
Drives: 6C GTI

Re: 1.8TFSI Manual Clutch Slip when cold?

Post by samhfisher1995 »

Strange, mine gave up at 38k as well. High gears, low revs where I guess max torque is going through it. I went for the Sachs upgrade but the pedal is not the same as stock. Not grabby in anyway but the pedal is a lot heavier I'd suggest you try someone's with it on before if you can. Personally I love the positive feel but it definitely wouldn't be for everyone.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk