Intermittent door locking issue?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Dauntlex
New
Drives: Polo S 55

Intermittent door locking issue?

Post by Dauntlex »

I’ve had my Polo for almost 4 years now, it’s a 2005 S model and doesn’t have remote central locking, however in the past 6-9 months it’s started having issues locking and unlocking. If I unlock the doors from the drivers side then on many occasions the passenger door won’t unlock, this also can be the case when locking the car and I have to go around to the passenger side to lock/unlock it. There are times when there’s no issues and all doors lock/unlock as they should, but more often than not the doors don’t play nice.

If I lock/unlock all doors from the passenger side then the same thing happens and the drivers side won’t lock/unlock so I assume it’s not an issue with just one lock but maybe a wiring issue? The fuse has been checked and it’s fine. This isn’t the only issue with electrics in the car - the radio also does some crazy things but that’s a separate problem (I presume).

Its not a massive deal, I don’t really mind having to unlock both doors separately but it can be an inconvenience when I’m already in the car and have it running before realising the passenger door isn’t unlocked as the lock button in the car won’t work when the door hasn’t been unlocked either so I have to turn off the engine and get out to unlock it.

if anyone has any ideas or solutions then I’m all ears!
Zeno
New
Drives: 2004 Polo Twist 1.2 12v manual 73k

Re: Intermittent door locking issue?

Post by Zeno »

I assume its a two door as you have not mentioned the rear door operation. If this is the case its one of two possibilities.
1) Both door locks have within a short space of time suffered the very common intermittent problem of failing to electrically release the deadlock. Solution replace the door locks.
2) Internal damage to one of the door electrical looms where it goes from the door to the body.
My money is on the door locks. Just renewed one of my 2004 rear door locks.