GTI engine information

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
CageyJ0nnY
New
Drives: GTI

GTI engine information

Post by CageyJ0nnY »

Hey guys!

I'm after some engine information, I have googled it and had a search here but I can't find much.

Does anyone have any information on the polo GTI engine? Is it the same as the golf (I have heard this).

There doesn't seem to be much out there when it comes to tuning these engines either.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: GTI engine information

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Hi CageyJ0nnY

It is in fact on this forum, somewhere. If memory serves its the EA888 Gen2 but dont quote me just yet as people who are more in the know should respond soon.

Quick search for EA888:
search.php?keywords=ea888
Last edited by OomStu_ZA on Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike222
Getting There!
Drives: Polo gti 2023 face lift Reefblue /black

Post by Mike222 »

Yes I think it’s basically a detuned version of the golf gti engine , if anyone knows how the detune is achieved, I would be interested.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

I believe the engine is tuned to produce less performance via the ECU and I think the intercooler is less safisticated in the polo gti
CageyJ0nnY
New

Post by CageyJ0nnY »

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have noticed that under full throttle the turbo creates a fair bit of boost, i think it gets near the 30 psi mark.

That seems very high for what I would assume is an engine that is under less stress because it is de tuned.

It is strange that revo ect haven't brought out any software for the mk10's.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

It's a different variant to the Golf GTI engine - and more advanced too. Current (outgoing) Golf GTI Performance has an EA888 Gen 3 engine. This variant has lost port injection and is now purely direct injection, so the intake valve backs and seats will probably start to coke up significantly after 30k miles and start to cause issues.

The Polo GTI gets the EA888 3B variant. It retains dual injection - so no coking of the intake cslves and runs under low loads using the Budack cycle, making it quite efficient when you're not wringing its neck. Under about 20kW output, the Budack cyvle kicks in, running a lean mixture under a higher effective compression ratio for improved efficiency, with the use of Audi valvelift tech in the inlet, helping it breathe like a much smaller engine.

The polo GTI uses the same turbo as the Golf GTI (IS20).
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

//monkeyhanger was faster :)

Golf GTI - 2.0 TSI EA888 gen 3 vs Polo GTI 2.0 TSI EA888 gen 3b.
3b uses budac combustion cycle if there is no need for full power (somebody says it is 0 to 20kw). Cams, dual injection and intercooler is different. 3b also have newer ECU.

Polo engine is basicaly EA888 2.0 TSI from Tiguan on steroids. ;) But Basic parts are like in golf so tuning potencial is huge.
CageyJ0nnY
New

Post by CageyJ0nnY »

Cheers guys,

I have just watched the Engineering Explained video on the Budac ignition cycle and the general feel of the comments was negative. Overly complicated and it may be the reason a user on here was complaining about a 'squishy' or 'lagy' pedal feel?

I wonder if this is the reason that aftermarket remaps or tunes aren't readily available for the polo? Certainly seems like the common denominator.

Also, whilst im here I find it annoying that the car does not remember the driving mode you where last in i.e. last journey and starts the car in normal mode. I wish there was a menu function for this.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

CageyJ0nnY wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:15 am Cheers guys,

I have just watched the Engineering Explained video on the Budac ignition cycle and the general feel of the comments was negative. Overly complicated and it may be the reason a user on here was complaining about a 'squishy' or 'lagy' pedal feel?

I wonder if this is the reason that aftermarket remaps or tunes aren't readily available for the polo? Certainly seems like the common denominator.

Also, whilst im here I find it annoying that the car does not remember the driving mode you where last in i.e. last journey and starts the car in normal mode. I wish there was a menu function for this.
My car is set to Individual mode and keeps that setting. It does not revert back to Normal unless I select it.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

My car remembers all my settings apart from the gearbox mode mode unfortunately. It reverts to normal regardless. Doesn't bother me too much though.
CageyJ0nnY
New

Post by CageyJ0nnY »

stuartrendall wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:00 pm My car remembers all my settings apart from the gearbox mode mode unfortunately. It reverts to normal regardless. Doesn't bother me too much though.
Yes mine is the same. I found this out this morning when I realised the soundaktor was still making its silly noises, so it makes sense that it's just the gearbox that goes back to normal.
JoJo Well
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2019 (GPF)

Post by JoJo Well »

I read the Polo GTI engine is taken from the Audi A4 Ultra TSI (2.0 TSI / 190 HP / 320 Nm)
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

JoJo Well wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:56 pm I read the Polo GTI engine is taken from the Audi A4 Ultra TSI (2.0 TSI / 190 HP / 320 Nm)
It's the same engine in a different state of tune. The A4 even uses a seriously detuned variant in 150ps output rather than the 1.5TSI unit (I found that out the other day when I was corrected on the Audi-sport forum). The 190ps variant is used on the Passat and Arteon too.
Discoboy
New
Drives: 2022 GTi

Post by Discoboy »

Does anybody know what engine spec is in the new facelift MK11 BZ 2022 Polo GTi, is it still the EA888 Gen3B with Budack from the MK10 AW before?
Also, the DSG box change from 6 to 7 speed, is the clutch wet or dry?

Thanks, in advance :wink:
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

Wet clutch I believe.