Rear washer leak

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Kawakev
New
Drives: 1.4tdi match

Rear washer leak

Post by Kawakev »

Hi
Thought I should say hello and introduce myself first.
Finally managed to get my new to me 2008 1.4 tdi polo.
Great car to drive, happy with my purchase.
Unfortunately just noticed rear wiper washer not working and leaking out under where the battery/Air filter is. Cant feel the leak but can see it.
On looking I see this is fairly common issue. I'm looking for some advice please on how best to tackle
Do I need to take off passenger side wheel arch liner or remove battery housing/air filter housing

Any help or pics appreciated
Cheers
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Rear washer leak

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, that seems to be a common point where it can end up leaking, I seem to remember that there is a hose joining part there and if you don't add the correct washer mix for winter, this is one deliberate weak point where the hoses will come apart.

If no one that has actually dealt with this does not come along with help, maybe Google this as it is common to same platform Skoda Fabia and SEAT Ibiza.
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

Had this same issue. With the noticeable puddle under the corner of the bumper after leaving the car to sit overnight with a full washer reservoir that was then empty by the morning.

The hose had split in several places where it comes out of the washer motor, the motor itself was also leaking from the elbow where the pipe attached as well as the rubber grommet the motor pushes into at the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir.
Kawakev
New

Post by Kawakev »

Thanks for replies folks.
Is it relatively easy to take air filter box off. Did mange to peel back the wheel arch liner and see the bottom of washer bottle and no leaks coming from there when used.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I can't comment on how difficult it is to remove the complete air cleaner assembly on a TDI as I've never had one, but normally it is a case of removing a screw/bolt or two and pulling the box up and off a locating peg/rubber donut.

The usual description for where the hose has come off its joining piece which then disappears into the cabin on its way to the rear hatch is "the join is below the ABS block" - so maybe reach down into that area and see if you can locate the "pump > rear hatch" pipe that has been forced off, and in that same area, the joining piece near the point where it passes through the metalwork into the cabin.
Kawakev
New

Post by Kawakev »

Thank you
Could take pics when doing if you think this would be useful, for any others.
Kawakev
New

Post by Kawakev »

Just to complete this thread. As predicted with the air filter box removed, you can clearly see the washer hose is separated at the join. I added a small piece of hose to bring it out to the side of the box so I could rejoin it easier if it happens again, without having to take filter box out.
Took about 20 mins all in. Would have been quicker if it wasn't so cold up here in Aberdeen.
Thanks for the help
sscott
New
Drives: 9N

Post by sscott »

Kawakev,

I’m also in Aberdeen and have this issue with water leaking from the front of my polo when trying to Scoosh the rear window, any easy tips or pics please
ccarmock
New

Post by ccarmock »

Just in case it helps anyone... I had the exact same issue with a 2007 Polo.

Rear washer not working. The pump would run but nothing came out of the rear nozzle. Front was fine. I tried cleaning the nozzle but no luck.

Then I noticed water near the rear passenger side wheel. Pulling out the boot linking carpet on that side I found there is a conenction for the washer host behind there near the electrical wiring and this has come apart. The hose is quite rigid so took a bit of effort to get back onto the plastic connector, but once that was done everything was fine and the rear washer works perfectly again.

I see in this thread that some people have had a connection come apart near the battery. Just worth knowing that this other connection is there too...