Genuine Wireless Charger RetroFitted

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Genuine Wireless Charger RetroFitted

Post by monkeyhanger »

How effective do you find wireless charging? I have it as standard on my ID3 and it's next to useless. My phone is a Galaxy S10 and I'm pretty sure having any kind of case attached seriously stifles the charging. On the ID3, the phone fits inside a diagonal slot in the central console where you'd normally expect a gearstick to be.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

could you please share the part numbers and wiring scheme?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:41 am How effective do you find wireless charging? I have it as standard on my ID3 and it's next to useless. My phone is a Galaxy S10 and I'm pretty sure having any kind of case attached seriously stifles the charging. On the ID3, the phone fits inside a diagonal slot in the central console where you'd normally expect a gearstick to be.
Mk8 Golf owners on various forums have also commented on the poor wireless charging functionality in their cars if the phone is in a case (I dare say most people’s phones are). Seems that it doesn’t really add additional charge to the phone’s battery - more likely it’ll just maintain the current level of charge - and the phone may also get very hot while on the charging pad.

I have a short VW lightning cable for my iPhone which works fine and the phone does charge while connected. The cable’s also short enough to tuck neatly into the cubby space below the heating controls, so no long untidy trailing cables to contend with.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

Nice idea. and job

I'd like to have a phone that charges wirelessly first, though. :lol: No benefit to me.. I wonder though if I had a more modern phone (I only buy android phones) whether you would still need tethering for the maps etc?

just curious.. no rush for me I'm at least a year from replacing my phone :shock: :shock:
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

grazuncle2 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:14 am Nice idea. and job

I'd like to have a phone that charges wirelessly first, though. :lol: No benefit to me.. I wonder though if I had a more modern phone (I only buy android phones) whether you would still need tethering for the maps etc?

just curious.. no rush for me I'm at least a year from replacing my phone :shock: :shock:
There are plenty of android phones that do wireless charging - you'd just need a newer one. Honestly though, I rarely do wireless charging in or out of the car. The rate of charge is poor and the phone heats up a lot.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

That's put me off looking out for wireless charging specifically..

On the other hand i use Android Auto regularly ( with the 15 cm lead attached) and find the phone charges very quickly.

I keep the phone in the little space in front of the gear stick. Doesn't seem to be a major problem for me.

However if the charging is slow I'd probably still use the cable :D :D :D

Do you still need the cable for Around Auto anyway? IDK
joosteg
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI

Post by joosteg »

Scotty_boy vw wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:06 pm My latest RetroFit the Genuine Wireless Charger.

So much better that having that bloody cable everywhere!!!

Scott
Hi there, where did you order the housing for the wireless charging unit? I can buy the wireless charging pad but I can find the part that house the charging unit
west-wot
New
Drives: Polo AW 2022

Post by west-wot »

Im also looking for the housing and mat - does anyone know where i can find the part numbers to get these ordered?
west-wot
New

Post by west-wot »

Im also looking for the housing and mat - does anyone know where i can find the part numbers to get these ordered?
west-wot
New

Post by west-wot »

crispyDilis
New
Drives: Polo 2018 95bhp

Post by crispyDilis »

Scotty_boy vw wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:06 pm My latest RetroFit the Genuine Wireless Charger.

Scott
Hi Scotty, this is brilliant, would you be able to send me what cable you used for the install? The seller you’ve posted has no more stock available so I’m planning to use the3rd party inbay module instead. Although I might save some pennies if I just buy the module then look for the cable seperately. Thanks
vpmaluks
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI Comfortline DSG

Post by vpmaluks »

Scott
Hello, if i may ask, do you need to get the harness wire for this unit or you can also buy one? Do you have instructions on how i can do it please