Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by lancslad1985 »

Philip GTI wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:21 am For me was either Kings red or Reef blue..
Found it hard to decide… eventually took the blue !
Same decision for me, but my last one was flash red and I didn’t like the kings red. Was too dark and the red strips and flashes were all flash red still so it didn’t look right. Went with reef blue as my other option was Smokey grey and my wife’s r-line is that colour.
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

I never used to let the dealers clean my new cars. Until I had one that after I cleaned had significant fused on contamination. So bad VW GB suggested a repaint. I'd waited ten months for it too. A replacement car in the chosen colour was not an option. So it was a full refund and a quick search for another car.
Now I let them clean it but not polish them. At least that way you can see paint issues before you get it home.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:54 pm
lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:41 pm I normally let them clean the car, but for both previous gtis and my gtd I’ve collected the car dirty then given it the full works. Never heard a dealership that won’t let you collect it dirty as it saves them time. I’m possibly collecting mine with the white wraps still on the bonnet and roof 🤣.
I’d get the dealer to remove the white wraps in case there’s any paintwork or panel damage under the wraps. If there is, then it’s much easier to get the dealer to agree it was there before the car leaves their premises and they sort out repairs at no cost to you, rather than them saying the damage was caused after you’d taken the car away.
Only worry then is it isn’t protected and I’ve 15 miles home before another 30 to my works garage the next day. They did a cracking job with my wife’s polo so I’m tempted to let them do it and I’ll just finish it off.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

Anecdotal I suppose. And each to their own...
But I've always just let the garage wash / polish the car and only ever had an issue once in some 50 years of motoring and that was with a mk3 Golf GTi 16v in black and it looked like they had polished it with sandpaper!
And "yes" I am a fussy person, so should there be any issues, they would get the car back to do it properly.

Not heard yet about my car arriving at the dealers yet. Hopefully turn up early next week.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:11 pm
SRGTD wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:54 pm
lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:41 pm I normally let them clean the car, but for both previous gtis and my gtd I’ve collected the car dirty then given it the full works. Never heard a dealership that won’t let you collect it dirty as it saves them time. I’m possibly collecting mine with the white wraps still on the bonnet and roof 🤣.
I’d get the dealer to remove the white wraps in case there’s any paintwork or panel damage under the wraps. If there is, then it’s much easier to get the dealer to agree it was there before the car leaves their premises and they sort out repairs at no cost to you, rather than them saying the damage was caused after you’d taken the car away.
Only worry then is it isn’t protected and I’ve 15 miles home before another 30 to my works garage the next day. They did a cracking job with my wife’s polo so I’m tempted to let them do it and I’ll just finish it off.
It’s only the roof, bonnet and tailgate that has the protective wraps on from the factory - the rest of the car’s paintwork would be exposed to the elements anyway on your 15 and 30 mile journeys. IMHO you may as well have all the paintwork uncovered so you have a good opportunity to check it over fully before leaving the dealership.

I’ve always let the dealer do the PDI valet but never ever let them do the free complementary service wash when my car goes back for servicing, warranty work or repairs. Thankfully the people valeting new and used cars for sale at the dealership I’ve used for the past 20 years seem to do a decent job and they aren’t the same guys that carry out the ‘scratch n swirl’ service washes.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

@srgtd they did a good job of the wife’s r line and my Tiguan, plus it would cut my time valeting it from 6 hours to 2 (I want my waxes on it) so think I’m going to let them pdi clean it. They never clean any of my cars for services though.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Evening All

To continue the theme, Collected my wrapped but very dirty car today. The garage had loads of Polo GTIs getting ready for new owners. (And even a Golf R)

Peeled off wrapping and all good. Rest of paintwork and wheels look fine too. But car had been sat outside and near trees so plenty of debris, garage gave it a quick jet wash to take worst off it and that was much better.

Well my journey home was 129miles but gave me plenty of time to have a good look around and familiarise myself with settings.

Very pleased with it and loving having Adaptive cruise back. Found out how to deactivate lane assist but noticed it restarts when you choose ACC. Need to read the manual I think.

AC/Heating controls are really simple to use. I’m really pleased with that. The Steering wheel is definitely chunky and I’m not sure if it’s bigger than the car I’ve just sold. Anyway I think I’ll get used to it but the haptic buttons do take a little time to get used to

I’ve been spoilt with the electric fly by wire gearbox for last 5 months, but the mechanical lever is super easy to use and easy to flick into sport ( which I did a few times just for test purposes, lol)

Weird thing, I thought Polo came with Auto Hold, but I suppose with handbrake it is only the Hill hold assist for 3 or 5 seconds)

Ok I’ll sign off now and put a few photos up tomorrow . Want to try and do a comparison with my recent car, just for a laugh so I’ll start drafting.

The chap said he’s had loads of polos come through recently including Nov/Dec orders as well as people like mine with April order and they are anticipating a good September.

Have a good weekend and catch up soon,
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

PS sorry missed off the two most important items:

1) yes I have an engine cover (picture to follo)
2) keys are just plain black and do not have a chrome bit at the bottom with little GTI logo. ( I had already made previous arrangements so will do key photo(s) as well

Thanks
Andy
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Cheers Andy. That’s disappointing to hear about the keys. Was one of the little touches I enjoyed last time. As you took it dirty, when’s it in for detail?
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Congratulations Andy on your new car!
And yes it is a chunky steering wheel, I liked it.
Hopefully mine arrives this month as a January order.
Bearmode
New
Drives: 2019 R-line

Post by Bearmode »

Picked mine up yesterday and put a couple hundred miles on the clock! Apparently the first order this dealer's had arrive with the 18" wheels

Some notes so far;

- I love the DSG, still getting used to it coming from all manual cars
- The brakes are excellent
- The steering wheel buttons are still a bit rubbish
- My phone doesn't fit in the little phone cubby, I swear it did on my 2019 r-line
- I do have an engine cover, though it's a plain black soft foam thing, no GTI badging or anything
- Keys are the normal ones, no GTI badging
- Ride is super comfortable, even sport mode isn't too bad
- Steering wheel is chunkier than I'm used to but I do like it (apart from the buttons)
- Android auto navigation/google audio sounds worse than it did on my R-line (music sounds better), have to investigate that
- The lane assist turning itself back on when ACC is enabled is a real pain. Was overtaking a tractor after coming off a motorway and could feel it trying to steer me back into him
- The fan temp controls are ok, would still rather have a knob
Attachments
20220903_131911.jpg
20220903_131911.jpg (3.7 MiB) Viewed 844 times
KayakerPaul
Getting There!
Drives: R line - if it arrives

Post by KayakerPaul »

Faros look the business, the gti being collected had them in my dealership. That was reef blue too 😄
I need to deactivate lane assist on ours too.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Bearmode wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:24 am Picked mine up yesterday and put a couple hundred miles on the clock! Apparently the first order this dealer's had arrive with the 18" wheels

Some notes so far;

- I love the DSG, still getting used to it coming from all manual cars
- The brakes are excellent
- The steering wheel buttons are still a bit rubbish
- My phone doesn't fit in the little phone cubby, I swear it did on my 2019 r-line
- I do have an engine cover, though it's a plain black soft foam thing, no GTI badging or anything
- Keys are the normal ones, no GTI badging
- Ride is super comfortable, even sport mode isn't too bad
- Steering wheel is chunkier than I'm used to but I do like it (apart from the buttons)
- Android auto navigation/google audio sounds worse than it did on my R-line (music sounds better), have to investigate that
- The lane assist turning itself back on when ACC is enabled is a real pain. Was overtaking a tractor after coming off a motorway and could feel it trying to steer me back into him
- The fan temp controls are ok, would still rather have a knob
Looks good, and the best colour IMHO, but then I’m probably biased 🙂.

With my pre facelift GTI+, I took the GTI chrome key fob top off and put the black plastic one on so it would fit inside my silicone key fob cover. The cover wouldn’t fit with the chrome fob top fitted, as it’s slightly larger than the black plastic fob top.

I’m glad my pre-facelift GTI+ has proper steering wheel buttons - and rotary heating controls that I can operate without looking at them. The chunky steering wheel sounds nice - my mk6 Golf GTI had a chunky steering wheel which was really nice to use.

Engine cover on my 2020 car is just plain black plastic - no badging on it (the engine cover on my 2016 Polo GTI had the VW emblem on it).

As for Lane Assist trying to steer you towards the tractor you were overtaking; I’ve read that if you use your indicators to show you’re intending to overtake slower moving or stationary vehicles, then Lane Assist won’t try and prevent you moving out of your travel lane to carry out the overtaking manoeuvre.
Bearmode
New
Drives: 2019 R-line

Post by Bearmode »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:42 am Engine cover on my 2020 car is just plain black plastic - no badging on it (the engine cover on my 2016 Polo GTI had the VW emblem on it).

As for Lane Assist trying to steer you towards the tractor you were overtaking; I’ve read that if you use your indicators to show you’re intending to overtake slower moving or stationary vehicles, then Lane Assist won’t try and prevent you moving out of your travel lane to carry out the overtaking manoeuvre.
I'm not fussed about the GTI badging on the engine cover, it was just more of an interesting thing. My dealer was surprised it didn't have it 🤷‍♂️

And good to know about the lane assist, I'll make sure I try that out next time and see! Would still much rather just be able to disable it, or only have it on when cruise control is active.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Bearmode wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:24 am Picked mine up yesterday and put a couple hundred miles on the clock! Apparently the first order this dealer's had arrive with the 18" wheels

My model year is 2019 and found that once I upgraded my Galaxy S9 to a newer S21, earlier this year, the Google voice system sounds like it duplicated, if you know what I mean. She talks then a milli second later you can hear the "echo" of a second voice. Quite annoying tbh.