Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by SRGTD »

Dannyyorks wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:58 pm Hi guys,

Just an update...

So I went to the dealer yesterday. They weren't really interested as said currently 8 month wait This has since been confirmed by another VW Dealer I have approached. This gives me a problem as my major service and first MOT are due in 8 months on my current car. I just know the two will overlap and I will end up paying out for someone else's benefit. There is also the issue of my part ex value could change a lot over that time.

I checked Coast2Coast and they have come out much better than most dealers, sometimes by about £3k!

One dealer I phoned earlier said it is best to keep an eye on websites to see what is coming through. Obviously I might need to not be so fussy on certain options.
To put the 8 month wait into some sort of context; if you were interested in placing a factory order for a new performance model Golf (GTI or R), then based on some of the discussions on Golf forums you’d probably be looking at an 18 month to 2 year wait!

Is your current car a VW? If yes, and if it’s on VW’s fixed / annual time and distance service regime, then the service at 3 years old would be a minor one (1st year minor, 2nd year major and third year minor and so on). Note that at three years, the first brake fluid change is also due on a 2020 registered VW. If you order a new car to your spec, you could try and get the dealer to agree to cover the cost of the service, MOT and brake fluid change (or make a significant contribution towards the cost) if your new car hasn’t arrived in 8 months time. They may not be willing to consider this if your current car isn’t a VW as they’d probably not put it on their forecourt to sell but would sell it to a trader or at auction. You could also try and get them to guarantee the part ex price of your car if you do go down the part ex route. However, with future used car values being unpredictable, a dealer might not be prepared to do this. You may be better off not trading in but to sell via one of the car buying services (Motorway etc.); going this route might also put you in a stronger bargaining position to negotiate on the price of any new car.

With Coast2Coast, presumably you’d still have around an 8 month wait?

If you’re ideally looking to take delivery within the next 8 months to avoid the forthcoming maintenance costs on your existing car, in your position I’d be looking at existing stock within the national VW dealer network and be prepared to travel if necessary for the ‘right’ car. I personally wouldn’t be too worried about options - the GTI’s standard spec is pretty good; if I was considering buying one now I’d be happy to settle for the standard spec, although there’s a chance there’ll be some in-stock cars at dealers (or in transit to dealers from the factory) that do have the most popular options - e.g. 18” alloys, metallic paint.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I got my facelift in one month and its replacement in two, but the only options I took were the paint. The car is very well specced as standard, although I do miss my heated seats at this time of year! I don’t miss keyless and the worries that come with it. Unless there’s a specific option you must have you might want to consider the cars already coming to the UK to speed up the process.

Oh and in case anyone hasn’t used them, I love the matrix LED full beams. So damn clever!
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

hi @dannyyorks

I have quickly scanned the last half dozen messages, so sorry if I have missed something.

I appreciate there are a lot of variables when buying a car (price rises/price of new car/value of old car/planned expenses etc) but as SRGTD and Lancslad1985 have mentioned if you want to change in the next 8 months (without worry of arrival date of next car) then a car in stock is the way to go, but unless they have a reason to discount it, the dealer may have issues giving you a lot off.

I bought mine through Drivethedeal and I ithink current discount is approx 10%. I ordered around 5 April 2022 and drove off in my 72 Reg car on 2nd Sept 22 (if I had been desperate I could have had car in mid Aug). I saved around 10% and have heated seats, iron grey inserts, reef blue metallic.

As I say above quite a few variables, but if I just push the new car order option... Get a price from Drivethedeal, which you could use with VW dealer to negotiate a lower price (either in stock or order) or else just order through Drivethedeal. This was my first car through them and probably won't be last.

If you are saving approx 10% on say a list price Polo GTI of £29,500 then that is saving of £2950
I know that you want to avoid Service and MOT but is that around £400-£500
If you order and still need to pay out the expense then that is still a saving of £2,500-2600 (I appreciate if you are getting PCP then you don't directly get that as a bulk saving)

In terms of options, my car was quite light and the only option which seems to extend order time seems to be Pan Roof. If you order this month (unless things have changed I think you have a good chance of receiving before Sept 2023) (unless it is loaded up with loads of options). But first port of call would be ring around some dealers to ask about Polo GTI availability and price (I think its the only VW Performance car which they have a reasonable amount of stock. Also check Autotrader as SRGTD says you might need to travel. Jan is normally a quietish month so they might be pleased to get a keen buyer at their door (even though your recent dealer experience seems the opposite)

@lancslad1985 - I am with you on the matrix LED headlights. Work really well and I can still see my part of road even when I have an oncoming car, really clever and a good step up from normal headlights.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

hi @Dannyyorks

Just read your post again and here are my thoughts

1. As above my order to delivery was 5 months. Can depend on stock and Pan Roof may sometimes extend (no actual knowledge but seems a few people on here waited longer for cars with that option. Also check the country for Stock vehicles as there do seem to be quite a few Polo GTIs about at dealers.

2. Having bought through Drivethedeal and sold to difference company (Carwow) I found the experience amazingly simple. If however you need a car most of week, it could be trickier but not impossible. Dealers may match or part match Drivethedeal, depends how hard you can negotiate. I would certainly check all other car sale sites before talking Part Exchange value with dealer, its an area they can get back some of their money given away on the new car. Go armed with all the information.

3. I went Reef Blue Metallic and standard wheels. Think I like standard better than option wheel design. I know there is a lot of love for white and I totally get that, they do look good in white. I also like Kings Red but as the red doesn't match the brake callipers I am not sure I would choose it. Black pack does give you a good contrast with roof and mirrors in black. I resent paying even more for paint to have the colour contrast so I went for single colour throughout.

4. Economy wise I have been resetting my long term average every 1000 - 1600 miles or so...(ok not many times as only up to 3922 miles) but each time its been in 40-42mpg area. On a long distance drive motorways and A roads (eco/normal mode) (55-70mph) then averaged about 50-53mpg. Being more enthusiastic its about 35pmg. I would normally expect to get 300-330 miles from a tank (which is now stupid small size - 40 litres)
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

ok, not being very co-ordinated in single response today.

My spec also includes rear view camera

Yes price has increased again (that might have been 1 Dec rise) but my spec is now listed at £29,875 which is up about £750
Sbal
New
Drives: '23 GTI

Post by Sbal »

My wait time wasn't very long for my GTI. The only option was the paint and the iron grey dash. The final price was £27,664,.99 (inc paint, fuel, rfl &reg fee). I did get a four year alloy wheel and tyre protection policy, boot matt, ceramic coating with upholstery protection and two services thrown in for no extra cost. I'd come out of a 2020 Seat Ibiza 1.0 FR used as a second car which we enjoyed so the GTI is it's replacement effectively. I think we will use it more than the Ibiza, given the performance and driver aids. Even things like rear passenger lights will help, not available in the Ibiza! 😁
Last edited by Sbal on Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip GTI
New
Drives: Gti

Post by Philip GTI »

Anyone noticed the gti and beats audio messages not coming up in Info screen when starting the car
Mode me seems to do is occasionally.. just wondered if there was a way to have the messages come up all the times as it looks good when it does!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Philip GTI wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:12 am Anyone noticed the gti and beats audio messages not coming up in Info screen when starting the car
Mode me seems to do is occasionally.. just wondered if there was a way to have the messages come up all the times as it looks good when it does!
Seem to remember you’ve asked the same question a couple of times before recently - presumably no one replied? Maybe there are no active forum members with a facelift GTI that have the Beats audio option.

A similar discussion in relation to the initial infotainment screen display in the Cupra Formentor came up on the Seat Cupra forum recently - the Formentor is likely to have the same generation VAG software as other current production VAG vehicles built on the MBQ platform. The general consensus was that display of the Beats audio screen perhaps only appears after a system reboot - owners with Beats audio weren’t seeing it every time.

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/thread ... st-5025209

As for the display of the GTI logo - In my pre-facelift Polo GTI+ (different software to your car) I think the ‘GTI’ logo maybe displayed at each startup (or it could be the VW logo? - I’ve never really paid that much attention to it), but I think it’s on the digital dash display rather than the infotainment screen. I’ll pay more attention next time I start the car to see which it is (GTI or VW) and which screen it’s displayed on. Can’t comment on the Beats logo though as I don’t have Beats audio.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:40 am
Philip GTI wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:12 am Anyone noticed the gti and beats audio messages not coming up in Info screen when starting the car
Seem to remember you’ve asked the same question a couple of times before recently - presumably no one replied? Maybe there are no active forum members with a facelift GTI that have the Beats audio option.

A similar discussion in relation to the initial infotainment screen display in the Cupra Formentor came up on the Seat Cupra forum recently - the Formentor is likely to have the same generation VAG software as other current production VAG vehicles built on the MBQ platform. The general consensus was that display of the Beats audio screen perhaps only appears after a system reboot - owners with Beats audio weren’t seeing it every time.

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/thread ... st-5025209

As for the display of the GTI logo - In my pre-facelift Polo GTI+ (different software to your car) I think the ‘GTI’ logo maybe displayed at each startup (or it could be the VW logo? - I’ve never really paid that much attention to it), but I think it’s on the digital dash display rather than the infotainment screen. I’ll pay more attention next time I start the car to see which it is (GTI or VW) and which screen it’s displayed on. Can’t comment on the Beats logo though as I don’t have Beats audio.
UPDATE; I remembered to check both the digital instrument cluster and the infotainment screen in my car this evening while I was out to see which logos (if any) were displayed. The VW logo appeared on the digital instrument cluster after I’d got in and closed the driver’s door. When I started the engine, the VW logo also appeared on the infotainment screen, with the GTI logo below it. As far as I’m aware, that’s what happens every time I get in and start the car.
nicster
New

Post by nicster »

INSURING WITH ESURE

I'm due to pick up my car tomorrow first thing and wanted to put through a change of car with my current insurance provider, Esure.

Annoyingly, the Facelift GTI's are not available to select, only the older models with less PS, and as my new registration plate hasn't registered yet, I'm stuck.

Anyone had similar problems?
Sbal
New

Post by Sbal »

I had to do mine over the phone so they could find it (LV)
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

nicster wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:29 pm INSURING WITH ESURE

I'm due to pick up my car tomorrow first thing and wanted to put through a change of car with my current insurance provider, Esure.

Annoyingly, the Facelift GTI's are not available to select, only the older models with less PS, and as my new registration plate hasn't registered yet, I'm stuck.

This is exactly what happened to me on the very day before I was supposed to pick my new car up. Must admit by 4PM the day before, I was in somewhat of a panic.
I was transferring my private plate straight off my old car and onto the new car when I went to pick the new car up (like you can). The insurer was adamant that they needed a reg no. for the new car to agree to change my insurance over. Difficult to do as the new car did not have a reg no. and would only get one (my private plate) when I went to pick it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never had an issue before. The same plate has been transferred between many cars over the years. Don't know if they have tightened the rules up, or if the Insurer were just being Knobs?

In the end I took the temporary insurance that VW offer you FOC, so that I could get the new car home. Then sorted things out with my current insurer the following day.

PS. For your own sanity... don't let this drag on till you are about to pick the car up. I ended up myself shouting at my current Insurer down the phone at one point. Life... got to laugh.
Sbal
New

Post by Sbal »

MikeDO wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:38 pm
nicster wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:29 pm INSURING WITH ESURE

This is exactly what happened to me on the very day before I was supposed to pick my new car up. Must admit by 4PM the day before, I was in somewhat of a panic.
I was transferring my private plate straight off my old car and onto the new car when I went to pick the new car up (like you can). The insurer was adamant that they needed a reg no. for the new car to agree to change my insurance over. Difficult to do as the new car did not have a reg no. and would only get one (my private plate) when I went to pick it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never had an issue before. The same plate has been transferred between many cars over the years. Don't know if they have tightened the rules up, or if the Insurer were just being Knobs?

In the end I took the temporary insurance that VW offer you FOC, so that I could get the new car home. Then sorted things out with my current insurer the following day.

PS. For your own sanity... don't let this drag on till you are about to pick the car up. I ended up myself shouting at my current Insurer down the phone at one point. Life... got to laugh.
I agree, you have to factor in the insurer causing a balls-up and get it sorted sooner rather than later
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Out of curiosity, was the reg number on your finance docs or did they put your private plate on them? My reg number is always on my documents to enable me to sort the finance, not to mention my dealership does a five day free insurance so you could always take that to sort your plate out.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:26 am Out of curiosity, was the reg number on your finance docs or did they put your private plate on them? My reg number is always on my documents to enable me to sort the finance, not to mention my dealership does a five day free insurance so you could always take that to sort your plate out.
In my case, the new car never had a reg no. The dealer transferred my private no. straight from my old car onto the new unregistered Polo GTI when I arrived at the dealership to pick the new car up (just a few clicks of a mouse).
So the reg no. on all my documentation from day one, was my private one. Done this with the last several new cars and never had an issue before.
It's the easiest and cheapest way to do it.

I could have put my private plate on retention and swapped it over (as you point out) at a later day. But this ends up costing more money and time to do.
IE. get new plates made up, Xfer private no with DVLA, inform Insurance / Finance companies (who may well charge you for this).

My beef with the insurance company, was that they were insisting that they needed a reg no. that was showing correctly on the DVLA database before they would entertain swapping the insurance (for next day at 11AM in this case).
And this is not the case. Hence why in the end I phoned up VW Insurance and got their 5 day complementary insurance to get me home. VW had no issue with the situation at all and could not understand why my current insurer was being daft about it.
Then I sorted things with my current Insurer once the correct info was showing on the DVLA database. On renewal I shall not be using Darwin (an O/L offshoot of Churchill) again. That and the fact it takes about 40 minutes to get through to them via what must be the WORSE automatic phone system I have ever encountered!