Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Re: Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by MikeDO »

Great news for everybody :)

If anyone can find a way to get rid of that stupid "favourite" screen (permanently) when you first switch to the SatNav (IE. rather jump straight to the map). Then I'll be a happy man.
I know that you can dismiss it with a wave of your hand (if gestures work for you), or press a button on the screen. It just annoys me that it insists on coming up first time.

Also wish there was a way to change the user name for We Connect. As I used my nickname (which is slightly rude). So every time that I switch the engine on, I'm greeted with:

Welcome *********** ............. (starred out to prevent blushes)

It was funny at first :lol:
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

So far enjoying the car. Soaks up the bumps better than my 2019 version. I know it's had a tweak but it feels a stronger power delivery than before.
Slightly disconcerting at first the car trying to steer you if you haven't signalled a lane change that it deemed necessary, but that's OK.
And the heady aroma of a new car, wish it lasted. :D
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

johnpolo2 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:06 am So far enjoying the car. Soaks up the bumps better than my 2019 version. I know it's had a tweak but it feels a stronger power delivery than before.
Slightly disconcerting at first the car trying to steer you if you haven't signalled a lane change that it deemed necessary, but that's OK.
And the heady aroma of a new car, wish it lasted. :D
Difference in ride quality could be down to tyres if they’re a different brand to those on your previous car. I can’t recall reading anything about VW making any suspension changes to the facelift car compared to the pre-facelift version that might account for better bump absorption.

Presumably the default for lane assist is that it’s active so it’d need to be deactivated with every ignition cycle. I remember reading on another VW forum a while back that there’s a shortcut to switching it off; can’t remember what the shortcut is as my car doesn’t have lane assist so didn’t bother remembering what the procedure was.

New car smell is nice. It lasted quite a while in my car but unfortunately it’s long since gone now. 🙁
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

@SRGTD. Will be interesting if the ride remains the same . I remember seeing a vid regarding the car where they said the ride had hardened compared to the previous model. Didn't like that idea. But that's not what I'm finding.
I was shown the VW connect working but the jury is out for me in whether I'm bothered enough about it to set it up.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Well I’m back in this thread now as my replacement car is due for handover 30/11. Gone for the kings red and dealer hasn’t charged me the extra over the reef blue either. After my awful experiences in 2014/15 with my blue GT and lookers I can only praise Inchcape as they suggested the rejection and have been nothing but helpful.

Anyone in Lancashire or Manchester wanting a Vw I’d advise speaking to Jack fielding at Bolton Vw and just say Phil sent you.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

Bearmode wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:24 am Picked mine up yesterday and put a couple hundred miles on the clock! Apparently the first order this dealer's had arrive with the 18" wheels

Some notes so far;

- I love the DSG, still getting used to it coming from all manual cars
- The brakes are excellent
- The steering wheel buttons are still a bit rubbish
- My phone doesn't fit in the little phone cubby, I swear it did on my 2019 r-line
- I do have an engine cover, though it's a plain black soft foam thing, no GTI badging or anything
- Keys are the normal ones, no GTI badging
- Ride is super comfortable, even sport mode isn't too bad
- Steering wheel is chunkier than I'm used to but I do like it (apart from the buttons)
- Android auto navigation/google audio sounds worse than it did on my R-line (music sounds better), have to investigate that
- The lane assist turning itself back on when ACC is enabled is a real pain. Was overtaking a tractor after coming off a motorway and could feel it trying to steer me back into him
- The fan temp controls are ok, would still rather have a knob
Does yours have adaptive dampers?

A lot of the reviews mentions the ride is very stiff.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

green justin wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:19 pm
Bearmode wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:24 am Picked mine up yesterday and put a couple hundred miles on the clock! Apparently the first order this dealer's had arrive with the 18" wheels

Some notes so far;

- I love the DSG, still getting used to it coming from all manual cars
- The brakes are excellent
- The steering wheel buttons are still a bit rubbish
- My phone doesn't fit in the little phone cubby, I swear it did on my 2019 r-line
- I do have an engine cover, though it's a plain black soft foam thing, no GTI badging or anything
- Keys are the normal ones, no GTI badging
- Ride is super comfortable, even sport mode isn't too bad
- Steering wheel is chunkier than I'm used to but I do like it (apart from the buttons)
- Android auto navigation/google audio sounds worse than it did on my R-line (music sounds better), have to investigate that
- The lane assist turning itself back on when ACC is enabled is a real pain. Was overtaking a tractor after coming off a motorway and could feel it trying to steer me back into him
- The fan temp controls are ok, would still rather have a knob
Does yours have adaptive dampers?

A lot of the reviews mentions the ride is very stiff.
All UK spec Polo GTI’s have adaptive dampers ; brand of tyres that VW fit can make a noticeable difference to ride compliancy, roadholding and comfort. On UK spec pre-facelift GTI / GTI+ with 18” wheels, VW fitted ‘hard as nails’ Bridgestones and quite a few owners changed these for Michelin PS4 which are better both in terms of ride comfort and grip. I’d be interested to know if they’re still fitting Bridgestones to GTI’s with 18” alloys or something more befitting of a performance car.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

The suggestion android auto / google sounds worse than an R line... Are you connected wirelessly? Audio sources are compromised via bluetooth.

Thus plugging in always gives better sound quality. Similar to how airpods or powerbeats pro etc cannot make full use of 'lossless' audio as the bluetooth signal robs the quality.

So a tip for anyone considering wireless charging or thinking wireless carplay is a deal breaker, just remember you will probably end up plugging in anyway to get reliable sound and charging.

I use a short cable with a right angled connector and its perfect since it does not get in the way and looks tidy.
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

@SRGTD.
I have the 18 inch . Car fitted with Continental
ContiSportContact.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

I play Spotify from my phone wirelessly and never noticed any issues. Seems fine to me although I don’t have it on loud.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

johnpolo2 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:31 pm @SRGTD.
I have the 18 inch . Car fitted with Continental
ContiSportContact.
Same here.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Anyone else with a polo due end of November? Trying to work out potential ships as my sales guy went on holiday for two weeks.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Congrats to @Johnpolo2 Glad you finally got your car, it did seem to take an age to appear.

Congrats to @Philip GTI Hope you are enjoying yours too.

@MikeDo Ah, there must be a way to edit your name to spare your blushes (if you have passengers).
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

@Lancslad1985 Really sorry that you are back in the queue, Kings Red is a good colour and I was tempted, but it had to be Reef Blue in end. Hopefully it will come ahead of schedule
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Had a call from VW today. They offered me a chance to go in and have a 'consultation' with the sales teams regarding a new car. 7 months away from the Polo GTI being 4 years old.

They kept mentioning being in good equity which I was aware of due to the price of second hand cars. Part of me would like to upgrade to the new model but think I'll be holding out for the Cupra Urban Rebel.

The face lift model has grown on me though! Suppose it would be interesting to see what the offers would be. :)