Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
phaze8000
New
Drives: 6C Polo GTI Pure White

Re: Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by phaze8000 »

ajohnson505 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:25 pm Oh brilliant. I've had a look at the vehicle carriers leaving emden and there's a couple arriving in the UK tomorrow. Hopefully our cars are on there!
Fingers crossed, been given my CRD form to fill in so it's creeping closer :)
phaze8000
New

Post by phaze8000 »

phaze8000 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:13 pm
ajohnson505 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:25 pm Oh brilliant. I've had a look at the vehicle carriers leaving emden and there's a couple arriving in the UK tomorrow. Hopefully our cars are on there!
Fingers crossed, been given my CRD form to fill in so it's creeping closer :)
Pick it up this Friday, actually drove past it yesterday on the way to work. Still in the white protective film stuff, but it looks really nice. First DSG so that might take some getting used to, but having heated seats for winter will be nice :lol:
Philip GTI
New
Drives: Gti

Post by Philip GTI »

Any ideas?!..
Have GTI with Beats

When I first used to start car the info screen said GTI and then the screen said Beats audio I think
None of this seems to come up any more and the info screen just goes straight to my music in Apple CarPlay!
Kind regards
Philip
es_paradis
New
Drives: 2023 GTI Pure White

Post by es_paradis »

Finally got mine delivered after exactly 9 months!

So far I love it, and I'm impressed with the build quality. Really looks and feels like a much more expensive car inside.

Is anyone doing the break in period for the engine? I still haven't crossed the magical 1000 km (600 mile) threshold where you can finally use full throttle.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

es_paradis wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:08 pm Finally got mine delivered after exactly 9 months!

So far I love it, and I'm impressed with the build quality. Really looks and feels like a much more expensive car inside.

Is anyone doing the break in period for the engine? I still haven't crossed the magical 1000 km (600 mile) threshold where you can finally use full throttle.
I can’t remember where but I was always advised that for the first 1000 miles don’t run it at the same revs for more than five minutes. As I do a lot of motorway driving it means moving up and down gears every few minutes. I can’t remember where or why I read this, but I’ve always done it!
phaze8000
New

Post by phaze8000 »

Transition of gearbox may take some getting used to, car feels really solid. Great suspension, don’t feel the speed bumps like you did on the older generation.

Only issue i’ve seen so far is the carplay sidebar is on the left for LHD cars, may ring up and ask them to code it to the other side for RHD
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

My car has started saying 'travel assist currently unavailable '. Sometimes it pops up more frequently. I make sure all sensors are clean. I can also see its been an issue across a number of different models.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Have you got the sensors behind the front badge and the one behind the rear view mirror? When one of those is dirty mine normally says unavailable and is fine once cleaned.
Dannyyorks
New

Post by Dannyyorks »

Hi all, I’ve been following the forums for a while and have finally decided to get my Polo and want to go for the GTi. So a couple of questions for you…

1. How have people found the order times lately? I know looking back on here people had to wait some considerable time. Has that improved? I guess it depends on spec etc as they could have a cancelled order etc that fits my needs.

2. I’ve run through some quotes on the VW site and I think there has been yet another price increase as I’m now just shy of £30k with a couple of options. So my next question is how much flexibility is there in the quote on the VW site to what the dealer will quote me? Am I likely to find a start of year sale? Also, how much are the main VW dealers likely to match drivethedeal etc? I’m looking to part exchange so really want to keep it simple and do it all through one company.

3. Any views on colours and wheels? I’ve got a black car at present, nightmare to keep clean but looks the business when washed and waxed. I’m quite liking the GTi in white with the black roof/mirrors. Also, looking at reviews the 18” wheels look the part and although maybe more road noise they offer a better driving experience. Have people been put off by the red dash? I think it seems to be a bit of a marmite issue and I appreciate it can be changed. Personally, I think it looks nice with the white exterior and the bit of red detail around the car.

4. Finally, a silly question as we don’t buy a hot hatch for fuel economy but what do people get? I looked at the Hyundai 120N and although that seems a bit sportier it apparently drinks petrol even on a leisurely drive.

Thanks in advance
Danny
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Dannyyorks wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:03 pm Hi all, I’ve been following the forums for a while and have finally decided to get my Polo and want to go for the GTi. So a couple of questions for you…

1. How have people found the order times lately? I know looking back on here people had to wait some considerable time. Has that improved? I guess it depends on spec etc as they could have a cancelled order etc that fits my needs.

2. I’ve run through some quotes on the VW site and I think there has been yet another price increase as I’m now just shy of £30k with a couple of options. So my next question is how much flexibility is there in the quote on the VW site to what the dealer will quote me? Am I likely to find a start of year sale? Also, how much are the main VW dealers likely to match drivethedeal etc? I’m looking to part exchange so really want to keep it simple and do it all through one company.

3. Any views on colours and wheels? I’ve got a black car at present, nightmare to keep clean but looks the business when washed and waxed. I’m quite liking the GTi in white with the black roof/mirrors. Also, looking at reviews the 18” wheels look the part and although maybe more road noise they offer a better driving experience. Have people been put off by the red dash? I think it seems to be a bit of a marmite issue and I appreciate it can be changed. Personally, I think it looks nice with the white exterior and the bit of red detail around the car.

4. Finally, a silly question as we don’t buy a hot hatch for fuel economy but what do people get? I looked at the Hyundai 120N and although that seems a bit sportier it apparently drinks petrol even on a leisurely drive.

Thanks in advance
Danny
Welcome to the forum Danny. I have a pre-facelift GTI+, bought new in 2020 so can’t answer all of your questions. However, here are my thoughts;
  • Delivery / Lead Times; hopefully those forum members who are currently waiting or who’ve recently taken delivery of a new GTI+ will post their experience of current typical wait times. However, if you’re fairly flexible on colour and spec, there are currently 32 new Polo GTI’s on Auto Trader - either in stock or shortly available for delivery, so considering one of those cars will reduce or eliminate the wait time.
  • VW usually have 2 or 3 price increases per year. As to price flexibility; with the current market conditions of fewer new cars being built due to supply chain issues and generally longer wait times, dealers probably aren’t having to offer large discounts to sell cars as demand is likely to exceed supply on popular models. VW don’t generally have start of year sales, although some of the larger dealer groups might have sales promotions and incentives at certain times of the year (not necessarily at the start of the year). A broker such as Drive the Drive the deal is likely to be your cheapest option. If you were to order through Drive the Deal, you could always use one of the car buying services such as Motorway to sell your existing car; you may find you get offered more for your existing car from Motorway (or similar) than you would from a VW dealer if you were to part exchange it, so it’s something to consider.
  • Wheels; When I ordered my pre-facelift GTI+ I went for 18” alloys. They may give a slightly firmer ride than 17” wheels because of the lower profile tyres, although the brand of tyres fitted by VW will also influence ride comfort and the amount of road noise. Also bear in mind that 18” tyres will be more expensive when the time comes to buy new tyres and the 215/40 R18 tyre size on 18” wheels on the GTI isn’t a particularly common size, so they tend to be expensive.

My GTI+ is white and I don’t regret my choice of colour;
    - much easier to maintain than black but does show the dirt during winter months
    - easy to touch in stone chips on white paint so they’re not noticeable
    - if you ever need any paint repairs, white’s an easy colour to match

I didn’t go for the red dash; I’m a ‘mature’ driver 🙂 and the red was a bit too much ‘in your face’ for me so I opted for the grey alternative.
  • Fuel consumption; my pre-facelift car has the 6 speed DSG rather than the 7 speed in the facelift car and my long term fuel consumption is around 41 mpg over 10,000 miles I’ve driven in my car since new. I’m not sure if the extra gear in the 7 speed box merely benefits high speed cruising or if the gear ratios of all the gears are different. Maybe some of the forum members who’ve had both a pre and post facelift GTI can comment.
Hope you find the above useful in helping you make your decision.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Hi Danny and welcome to the forum.

I’ve had both the GTI+ and now the facelift so hopefully I can answer some of your questions.

1. I tend to tag cars already on their way, but when I got my replacement I was told 6 months for a new order. Not sure if it’s still the same.

2. I can’t comment on price as mine was a replacement for a September deal. @SRGTD has provided some great advice so no point me adding to it.

3. I test drove the 17s and 18s when I got my gti plus and the 17s were much more comfortable. However, the facelift feels more comfortable than the previous plus I had on the same wheels and tyres, so you’d have to try them for yourself.

When it comes to colour, I despise both black and white cars now (sorry SRGTD). Not because they look bad, they don’t, but because black gets dirty extremely quickly and white shows any tar and dirt really quickly. Plus I had three white cars in a row. In terms of the red dash I actually liked it on the facelift I had, as it was a dark metallic red. Compared to the gti plus I had with that awful Matt light red. I’ve now got a grey dash panel and it’s just a bit drab compared to the metallic red, but everyone likes different things so I’d suggest checking both options out at a dealer.

4. Fuel economy is interesting. My gti plus was 6 gears and over 12k miles I got 41-42mpg. My current facelift has done 1200 miles and, despite the extra gear, is doing 37mpg. However it is winter so it’s not been run in the dry yet. I’d expect there to be less difference when the summer comes.
Dannyyorks
New

Post by Dannyyorks »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Some really helpful tips there.

I'm off to see the VW dealer later in the week so will see what they come up with. My current car is three years old in September so if I order something now, assuming they have nothing in stock, then hopefully I can get it before then. I've also seen that they are giving £500 towards finance. So I think I read right that I can do that and then pay the finance off within 14 days and keep the £500 lol. I think it used to be a grand but still £500 helps.

Danny
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Dannyyorks wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:16 pm Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Some really helpful tips there.

I'm off to see the VW dealer later in the week so will see what they come up with. My current car is three years old in September so if I order something now, assuming they have nothing in stock, then hopefully I can get it before then. I've also seen that they are giving £500 towards finance. So I think I read right that I can do that and then pay the finance off within 14 days and keep the £500 lol. I think it used to be a grand but still £500 helps.

Danny
Yes, if you take VW’s PCP to get the finance deposit contribution but withdraw from the PCP contract within the 14 day cooling off period, then you keep the finance deposit contribution. I did this back in 2020; at that time, it was either £1,250 or £1,500 (can’t remember which).

It’s also worth considering the service plan which costs £269 if purchased at point of sale (when ordering the car) as it works out cheaper than either buying a service plan at a later date or paying for services as they become due.

44A062E9-DEE9-4D87-82D1-74402E620C93.jpeg
44A062E9-DEE9-4D87-82D1-74402E620C93.jpeg (60.62 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
A0B44C58-239D-4602-9F48-234F4197A2B5.jpeg
A0B44C58-239D-4602-9F48-234F4197A2B5.jpeg (53.91 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
worsy
New
Drives: The wife's 2022 Polo GTI.

Post by worsy »

Check the price on DrivetheDeal then use that as the benchmark. If the dealer can't get close then order through DrivetheDeal and sell your car to ArnoldClark or WBAC (or privately).
Dannyyorks
New

Post by Dannyyorks »

Hi guys,

Just an update...

So I went to the dealer yesterday. They weren't really interested as said currently 8 month wait This has since been confirmed by another VW Dealer I have approached. This gives me a problem as my major service and first MOT are due in 8 months on my current car. I just know the two will overlap and I will end up paying out for someone else's benefit. There is also the issue of my part ex value could change a lot over that time.

I checked Coast2Coast and they have come out much better than most dealers, sometimes by about £3k!

One dealer I phoned earlier said it is best to keep an eye on websites to see what is coming through. Obviously I might need to not be so fussy on certain options.