Central locking not working, windows go down when i try to lock it.

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
kitstaa
New
Drives: vw polo 2001

Central locking not working, windows go down when i try to lock it.

Post by kitstaa »

Hi all,

For some reason when I try to lock the car from the outside, the central locking system doesn’t work, but both the drivers side and passenger side windows go down.. My drivers side window also takes a long time to go back up, stopping or going back down frequently.. Does anyone know why this would be? I had the alternator replaced a few months ago, but maybe the battery is dying?

Thanks in advance :)
JUUL
Getting There!
Drives: 6N 1995

Re: Central locking not working, windows go down when i try to lock it.

Post by JUUL »

The central locking system is pneumatic. If there's a leak in one of the lines or connectors, this might be the reason it's not working properly. A few questions...

- Do you hear the sound of air escaping when the central locking motor is running? Around the locks, down the A-pillars (and B-pillars if 4 drs), rear hatch, fuel cap and right corner inside the boot would be the most common places to hear a 'sssssssh' sound.
- Is your central locking remote activated?
- If not...when you turn the key does the lock feel loose?
- Do the doors lock/unlock when you use the key? The door pins go up or down?

Regarding the windows, I think the bracket(s) on which the glass is fastened might be loose or broken. This would throw the window out of alignment which would make the glass not run smoothly along the window rails. The window stopping and going down again is a safety precaution to prevent the window motors from getting damaged. Your Polo is equipped with comfort closing and opening. If you lock/unlock your car and hold the key in open/close position for a few seconds longer, the windows will go up or down. You said your battery might be the problem. Did you check the voltage?