High Idle/ Rough engine

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Re: High Idle/ Rough engine

Post by Harrihealey02 »

My 1.0 tsi with GPF idles at around 900rpm once it has fully warmed up. The first start it will idle at 1500rpm then after 20 seconds or more if is cold and will go back down. I’ve had my car for a year and 3 months and it’s never idled that high when it’s been at operating temperature. I would definitely take it to VW and tell them it’s costing you more money in fuel when other cars with the same engine idle at around 900rpm. It could be that a temperature sensor is faulty and your engine is constantly thinking it’s cold so it’s keeping the revs higher to warm it up.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Re: High Idle/ Rough engine

Post by grazuncle2 »

I had a poor experience in the past.. (idling at 1400 regardless of temp and no discernible high fuel consumption or roughness ) Took it in for investigation and was warned if it was not a warranty issue I would be charged £150 per hour. (my OBD Eleven data reported no such high particulates)

They told me it was regen and needed a forced regen... they didn't keep it long enough to do a regen (which is not covered in warranty and never charged me for it - which they would have it if really was.. On handing it back to me they said 'in passing' that they did a software update! They found other 'warranty stuff for me which they missed over the previous two years they had serviced it!

I'm doing exactly the same journeys and short trips and the particulates/soot data hardly ever change . it is the same before their work and still is the same afterwards.

I'd have been happy if they had just been upfront and told me they did something else.. I was just happy to get it back and not revving away.