No brake lights?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
sonne
New

No brake lights?

Post by sonne »

Having an issue with all my brake lights not coming on. I recently had problems with a flat battery which i have now fixed so not sure if that could have created a short somewhere but i have changed the fuses and about to change the brake pedal switch which i had only changed 1 year ago but if it turns out not to be that i have no idea what it could be?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: No brake lights?

Post by RUM4MO »

Should normally be the brake pedal switch, just make sure that you buy a genuine latest part from VW Group parts department.

I'm guessing that some other warning lights have come on in the dashboard, they normally do when the pedal switch fails.
sonne
New

Post by sonne »

Yes the EPC light is on. Is it possible to repair the switch or just easier to buy a new one.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I always just bought a new latest version from VW dealership, these things have had quite a few revisions because they end up failing.

Where did you source the previous replacement switch from?

Edit:- from my point of view, do I or do I want my wife to be driving around and ending up with no brake lights, not at all, that can be a very dangerous situation to end up in.
sonne
New

Post by sonne »

I just purchased it from a local car parts shop was only a few quid probably a cheap replica but i tested it and it wasn't working so i repaired it, tested it for continuity, tested the wire it plugs into that is ok. plugged it back in, changed some fuses but still they are not coming on.
I have an obd reader but that doesn't pick the EPC warning. Is there anything I'm suppose to reset like maybe disconnect the battery.
sonne
New

Post by sonne »

One other thing don't know if it's related but my rear drum brakes are knackered up to the point they are almost seized on could that effect the brake lights. I am getting them repaired asap plus the lights are off when they would be stuck on if it was a knackered brake switch which is weird.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

sonne wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:55 pm I just purchased it from a local car parts shop was only a few quid probably a cheap replica but i tested it and it wasn't working so i repaired it, tested it for continuity, tested the wire it plugs into that is ok. plugged it back in, changed some fuses but still they are not coming on.
I have an obd reader but that doesn't pick the EPC warning. Is there anything I'm suppose to reset like maybe disconnect the battery.
Nothing to reset, as long as you used the correct procedure when fitting refitting the old switch - though, if it was the older version/design, I'm sure that I have read that you can not get it physically back into the initial state wrt the plunger length, so they could only be fitted once successfully. The later version was designed so that the plunger could be reset into its initial position even if you had removed the switch.

From memory, but you should check via a Google search, the original switch required you to fit it with maybe the brake pedal fully depressed and the later version with the brake pedal in its "up" position.

That all sounds like a load of nonsense but I think that it needs to be done that way for the switch to work correctly, I have fitted maybe the later version, from new in a way that did not switch the brake lights - after a search on VAG forums, I found the answer, ie "fit it with the brake pedal in the opposite position to when fitting the older version".
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

sonne wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:58 pm One other thing don't know if it's related but my rear drum brakes are knackered up to the point they are almost seized on could that effect the brake lights. I am getting them repaired asap plus the lights are off when they would be stuck on if it was a knackered brake switch which is weird.
No connection at all, they can't affect the brake light switching.
sonne
New

Post by sonne »

Last edited by sonne on Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sonne
New

Post by sonne »

Last edited by sonne on Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Good that ended up getting it working, VW seem to be becoming terrible with giving good info on what each fuse covers, if you think your version of Polo is lacking in it, then I think that things are even worse for newer cars "ask your dealership" seems to be the answer, but they don't know more than the owner does!! Drove me into buying a copy of the proper workshop manual!
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

RUM4MO wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:36 pm Good that ended up getting it working, VW seem to be becoming terrible with giving good info on what each fuse covers, if you think your version of Polo is lacking in it, then I think that things are even worse for newer cars "ask your dealership" seems to be the answer, but they don't know more than the owner does!! Drove me into buying a copy of the proper workshop manual!
Looks like the OP deleted their last two posts so may be not fixed, but I agree with the poor quality of information from vw about wiring diagrams 🤔
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

CarbonChaos wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:06 pm Looks like the OP deleted their last two posts so may be not fixed, but I agree with the poor quality of information from vw about wiring diagrams 🤔
Ah, how unfortunate, hum maybe back to the switch and this time one without the "mushroom dome" on the end if the last one did have that "feature", I'm sure/hope he will be back.