DSG sticking in 2nd gear

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Armstrong21490
New
Drives: Mk10 gti+

Re: DSG sticking in 2nd gear

Post by Armstrong21490 »

Just a wee update on this. Kept my log of all the times the fault was occurring over a 3-4 week period. Booked the car back in (19th july) and gave them the 5 page dossier of all the times the fault occurred. After a week they got in contact with me to say the master tech had managed to get the fault to occur twice so spoke to VW technical dept again. Their excuse now was that the car must be trying to perform a DPF regen so that's why its holding the gears. This swiftly got shot down as the car is cold when the fault occurs so the car wouldn't be trying to do a regen.

All went quiet for 2 weeks so got in contact with them again (10th Aug) and found out the master tech has been having discussions too and fro with technical dept and it was now getting escalated to Germany.

Finally got a phone call today (24th Aug)to let me know that they have approved a mechatronics replacement. Been without the car for 5 weeks now but just glad its finally getting something done.
Armstrong21490
New

Post by Armstrong21490 »

Just a wee update on this. Kept my log of all the times the fault was occurring over a 3-4 week period. Booked the car back in (19th july) and gave them the 5 page dossier of all the times the fault occurred. After a week they got in contact with me to say the master tech had managed to get the fault to occur twice so spoke to VW technical dept again. Their excuse now was that the car must be trying to perform a DPF regen so that's why its holding the gears. This swiftly got shot down as the car is cold when the fault occurs so the car wouldn't be trying to do a regen.

All went quiet for 2 weeks so got in contact with them again (10th Aug) and found out the master tech has been having discussions too and fro with technical dept and it was now getting escalated to Germany.

Finally got a phone call today (24th Aug)to let me know that they have approved a mechatronics replacement. Been without the car for 5 weeks now but just glad its finally getting something done.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Good outcome. Hopefully that’ll be the ending of your DSG issues 🤞.
Armstrong21490
New

Post by Armstrong21490 »

Well I got an update 2 weeks ago so thought I should put it onto here.

The garage have now replaced the mechatronics unit and took it out a test drive. All seemed fine but on the final test drive before releasing the car back to me the fault reappeared. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Frustration is staring to get the better of me now. I'm paying for a car that I have no idea when I'm going to get back. Been nearly 10 weeks without it now 😤😤😤
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

That’s disappointing to put it mildly. Is the dealer providing you with a courtesy car until yours is sorted? If not, then in your position I’d be contacting VWFS to get finance payments reduced - or better still, stopped - until you get your car back and working as it should.
Armstrong21490
New

Post by Armstrong21490 »

For the forst 9 weeks I didn't have anything. At first the main thing was getting it in before the warranty ran out and they couldn't give me one at such short notice. Then when they said the mechatronics unit was getting replaced I thought it would only be another week or so before getting the car back so wasn't too fussed. Luckily the wife has a car and works from home most of the time so i had that to use. But when I found out the car still had the fault I thought enoughs enough and they need to sort me out with one.
Armstrong21490
New

Post by Armstrong21490 »

Thought i should update this with the latest news that I have. They have now replaced an ecu on the car, I'm assuming the gearbox one, but the fault is still occurring.
Armstrong21490
New

Post by Armstrong21490 »

Well time for another update. Still don't have my car back. Now been without it for just over 6 months 😱😱😱.

Slight positive is at the start of November they contacted me to offer me an upgrade on the bog standard 1L polo courtesy car that I have been plodding around in. Got a brand new, only done 175 miles, t-cross r line which is very nice. Only down side is it has the 1L engine too which certainly makes the car a bit sluggish.

Got a phone call from the dealership last week to let me know that a gearbox replacement has finally been approved by VW, master tech said the box is about £8500 so thats why they have been holding out for so long on approving a replacement, the only downside is it's on back order so they are unsure when they will actually get it.

Will update again if I get anymore news or when I finally get the car back.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Hopefully that’ll be the end of your DSG woes once and for all.
Armstrong21490
New

Post by Armstrong21490 »

Not been on here in a while so here's the update on what happened with my polo gti+.

Got the car back from the garage in February with the new gearbox in. Drove home and everything was OK. Went out in the car the next day and 2 mins into my drive low and behold the car was sticking in 2nd gear again 🤬🤬🤬. Phone call made to the garage and tried to get the car booked in but they didn't have any courtesy cars available. Said they would phone me when they did.

6 weeks later I had to phone them up cause they hadn't been in contact with me. Finally sorted me out with a car a few days later (start of april) but again put back into a bog standard 1.0L polo.

Fast forward to September and I was staring to get really annoyed, no closer to the car being fixed. Spoke to my legal cover and they told me to get in contact with my finance company. Got in contact with them and they opened a complaint for me. 4 weeks later the finance company came back to me and said they accept liability and and offer of compensation.

Offer was a full refund of all payments including deposit minus a month's payment for every 1000 miles driven, refund for all costs to cancel insurance and transfer my private plate etc and a £500 inconvenience compensation.

Car has now been transfered into the finance company and I have recieved all my money back. Not sure what the finance company's plans are for the car now?? Whether they uplift it or continue to leave it with the garage for them to work on it??

So all in all, I owned the car for 2.5 years and around 1.5 years of that time the car was in the garage. Very disappointing cause it was a lovely car to drive when I did have it but my experience with it was completely ruined.

Now time to figure out what I want for my next car???????
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

It’s unfortunate that you had the worst experience with your car! Some cars have no faults what so ever and then you get the odd ball which has some and you were just very unlucky to get one of the bad eggs. What car would you be getting next?
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Shame to hear you’ve had such issues. My experience of polos has been they’re either great or terrible. My BlueGt had a billion problems, but my gti+ was fine. Then my facelift gti again had a bucket of problems but the replacement (touchwood) has been ok.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

I can see why this experience would put someone off that mode r anything with a DSG gearbox forever and wouldn't blame anyone to go completely rogue.

However i know of other makes/models with similar stories... a little Peugeot of a friend handed over her brand new car by a salesman who 'didn't have the time to hand over properly' .. signed the papers to say it was ok and never got to drive it out of the garage. All manner of problems, courtesy cars, solicitors etc

sick...

it obviously doesn't happen to everyone but horrible when it does. All the best whatever your choice.
Armstrong21490
New

Post by Armstrong21490 »

If I'm honest it hasn't put me off dsg cars or VW's in general. The fact that they have no record of this problem on their worldwide technical database shows that it's such an anomaly. How many million dsg cars must be out there and they have never seen this problem???

I'm thinking of a tiguan r-line for my next car. I'm at that age where my wife and I will be thinking of kids in the not too distant future so something bigger would probably be better for us.
PoloGTInoob
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by PoloGTInoob »

I've noticed something similar in my 2020 polo gti.

If I'm accelerating spiritedly and then suddenly come off the throttle, the car seems to get confused and will stay in low gear (2nd or 3rd I think) and just keep revving high due to engine braking until I override it for example by knocking it into manual mode