Knocking from clutch/gearbox

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
Wicky58woo
New
Drives: Polo 95tsi Active

Knocking from clutch/gearbox

Post by Wicky58woo »

I have a 2021 95Tsi Polo Active

On gradually releasing the clutch to the biting point when the car's cold I hear a rhythmic knocking noise. The frequency doesn't change with engine revs and disappears when driving off. It is apparent in 1st, 2nd and reverse gears even when stationary and held on the brakes. Nothing with the car in neutral. I haven't bothered with 3rd, 4th and 5th and standstill.
The car's done 3000 odd miles, bought new in October 21. The noise became apparent after about half that mileage.
There are mutterings from VW that it's a characteristic of this model but since nobody else seems to have reported it to the dealership I'm not convinced. I'm guessing that the engine/clutch/gearbox for the Active variant is the same as any other Polo of that type with a 998cc 95Tsi engine and 5 speed manual gearbox.
I already posted this onto the more general Mk 10 forum. Apologies if it was in the wrong place.

I've taken video but can't attach it as an mp4.

I'd appreciate any help/thoughts/suggestions
Wicky58woo
New
Drives: Polo 95tsi Active

Re: Knocking from clutch/gearbox

Post by Wicky58woo »

Here's the youtube clip to hear the noise

https://youtu.be/1FDUZT3bpVc
Paul6113
New
Drives: Polo r line 2022

Post by Paul6113 »

Code: Select all

[list=][list][*][img][url][/url][/img][/list][/list]
[/i][/b]
Wicky58woo wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:48 am I have a 2021 95Tsi Polo Active

On gradually releasing the clutch to the biting point when the car's cold I hear a rhythmic knocking noise. The frequency doesn't change with engine revs and disappears when driving off. It is apparent in 1st, 2nd and reverse gears even when stationary and held on the brakes. Nothing with the car in neutral. I haven't bothered with 3rd, 4th and 5th and standstill.
The car's done 3000 odd miles, bought new in October 21. The noise became apparent after about half that mileage.
There are mutterings from VW that it's a characteristic of this model but since nobody else seems to have reported it to the dealership I'm not convinced. I'm guessing that the engine/clutch/gearbox for the Active variant is the same as any other Polo of that type with a 998cc 95Tsi engine and 5 speed manual gearbox.
I already posted this onto the more general Mk 10 forum. Apologies if it was in the wrong place.

Hi I have a 2022 polo r line with the same problem when getting it out of the garage in the morning it sounds like a knocking noise and speeds up the faster I go and when I depress the clutch the car is still moving but the sound stops I have had this noise for sometime now and have reported it several times but once the car has moved it does not do it again the rest of the day until it has been left several hours. Today they sent a technician from vw Nuneaton to my house to try the car for himself and he did hers the noise but he is unsure where it’s coming from
Paul6113
New

Post by Paul6113 »

Code: Select all

[list=][list][*][img][url][/url][/img][/list][/list]
[/i][/b]

Hi I have a 2022 polo r line with the same problem when getting it out of the garage in the morning it sounds like a knocking noise and speeds up the faster I go and when I depress the clutch the car is still moving but the sound stops I have had this noise for sometime now and have reported it several times but once the car has moved it does not do it again the rest of the day until it has been left several hours. Today they sent a technician from vw Nuneaton to my house to try the car for himself and he did hers the noise but he is unsure where it’s coming from
Paul6113
New

Post by Paul6113 »

Hi I have the same problem with a 71 plate polo r line have your dealership done any investigation yet
Because it only happens when cold or I think when the gearbox is dry when you first drive the car it’s hard to get other people to hear it my email address is paul6113@gmail.com if you want to talk thanks