PURCHASE OF VW POLO GTI 2.0 2018 MODEL

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
vinay
New
Drives: 1.2 tsi 90 6r model 2016

PURCHASE OF VW POLO GTI 2.0 2018 MODEL

Post by vinay »

Hello all,

I would like to have your advice concerning buying polo gti.
I have heard EA888 GEN3 gives some troubles and i would like to know if polo gti 2.0 200bhp model 2018 is reliable and good to keep for next long years.

Regards
Vinay
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: PURCHASE OF VW POLO GTI 2.0 2018 MODEL

Post by monkeyhanger »

vinay wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:20 am Hello all,

I would like to have your advice concerning buying polo gti.
I have heard EA888 GEN3 gives some troubles and i would like to know if polo gti 2.0 200bhp model 2018 is reliable and good to keep for next long years.

Regards
Vinay
Gen 3 variant of the engine is in use within the Golf GTI. The loss of port injection in addition to direct injection has left it prone to "coking up" with carbon build up on the inlet ports, causing erroneous ignition.

Good news though, the Polo GTI has the EA888 3B variant that does include port injection, which helps keep the inlet ports on the cylinder head carbon-free.

The Polo GTI engine is very reliable and quite efficient under low loads (sat on the motorway at a constant speed) when it switches over to the Budack cycle to run in a lean/high compression mode.

Nothing to worry about. Also, if it was built prior to Sep 2018, it won't have a GPF and will sound better, if you like that kind of thing!
vinay
New
Drives: 1.2 tsi 90 6r model 2016

Post by vinay »

Hello Monkeyhanger user,

Many thanks for your feedback also to mention that i own currently 1.2 tsi 90 remapped to 120bhp and i have car since 2018 no issues i mean 0 issues and it is almost with 100 000km, very good car.
Issue is i was in doubt whether to go with 420d or polo gti so far i am aware if you want more city environment you must avoid 420d/418d and look something petrol and with that amount of power i have only option polo gti .
Many thanks for your update so i am good to go with purchase then!!!! i have will have no turbo/injectors other kind etc etc issues which is found in gogle regarding vw golf gti.

Regards
Vinay
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

Totally agree with @Monkeyhanger. I own one and I am super content. At the time I didn't know about GPF, but I'm glad mine hasn't. Sound is way better especially with an after market exhaust
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

OP mentions turbo/injector issues that Golf GTI has?

I can imagine that the lack of port injection and deposit build up might play havok with injectors - not a Polo GTI trait.

I've had 14 VAG cars from new with turbos, and I've seen 2 failures, both around 5k miles/6 months old. The actuator failed over a period of a few weeks,the turbo simply failed to spool up on the ignition cycle - 1st was a 2001 Polo 1.9TDI 105PS, the second was a 2015 Golf R. In my experience, not a rare event, but they fail quickly, well within warranty and long term reliability is good. The Polo GTI uses the same turbo as that used on the lower outputs of the Golf GTI variants (220-245ps).

I'm in an ID3 now and love it.