What's needed to fit wheels

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
AP14
New
Drives: 6r

What's needed to fit wheels

Post by AP14 »

Hi everyone
I've recently purchased some new wheels. They are 17" 7J 5x100/5x114.3 however they didn't come with a fitting kit and I don't have a clue what i need to buy so help would be massively appreciated.

thanks!
mirceaculita
Silver Member
Drives: 6R 1.2TDI 75hp

Re: What's needed to fit wheels

Post by mirceaculita »

You just... lift the car with the jack in the trunk, undo the bolts on the wheels with the key in the trunk and change the wheels... (not sure that I understood the question). if you don't have tires on them then you need to take them and your car to a tire shop and ask them to move the tires to the new wheels and they'll also change the wheels. Best you just take it to a shop and have them do all the work.
AP14
New

Post by AP14 »

mirceaculita wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:44 pm You just... lift the car with the jack in the trunk, undo the bolts on the wheels with the key in the trunk and change the wheels... (not sure that I understood the question). if you don't have tires on them then you need to take them and your car to a tire shop and ask them to move the tires to the new wheels and they'll also change the wheels. Best you just take it to a shop and have them do all the work.
haha sorry i can see how that question didn't make sense. basically at the moment I've got 15" wheels but I've bought 17" wheels and my new wheels didn't come with bolts/nuts etc so i was wondering what bolts i needed to buy. I'm going to take it to the shop anyways cos i need tyres put on them.
mirceaculita
Silver Member
Drives: 6R 1.2TDI 75hp

Post by mirceaculita »

you can use the same bolts you have right now.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

If you bought your (aftermarket?) wheels new from a reputable alloy wheel supplier, if they didn’t supply a fitting kit (bolts and spigot rings), then that suggests you’d be OK to use your existing wheel bolts.

However, assuming your alloys are aftermarket rather than genuine OEM VW wheels, then most aftermarket alloys use bolts with a tapered seat (the bolt on the left in the picture below) whereas VW OEM alloys use bolts with a radius seat (the bolt in the centre of the picture below).
BAB10E5A-593E-4043-9684-6FA8B11C1271.jpeg
BAB10E5A-593E-4043-9684-6FA8B11C1271.jpeg (56.97 KiB) Viewed 637 times
Always use the correct bolt type for the wheels - i.e. the bolts that match the profile of the bolt hole in the wheel - to ensure maximum contact between the seat of the bolt and with the mating surface in the bolt hole of the wheel. Use of the wrong bolt type could mean it’s not possible to tighten them to the correct torque setting and / or they could work loose.

If in doubt, then check with the retailer you purchased your wheels from - for safety’s sake, it’s really important your wheels are safely attached to your car using the correct bolt type, they’re tightened in the correct ‘star pattern’ sequence and to the correct torque setting.

Also, if your alloys are aftermarket, most will have an oversized centre bore. The seller should supply spigot rings of the correct size for your car; these fit inside the wheel’s centre bore to help align the wheels on the hub assemblies when they’re fitted onto your car.

Lastly, if you you do need bolts with a tapered seat for your new wheels, keep a set of the existing OEM radius seat bolts in your car for the spare wheel in case you ever need to fit it to the car (e.g. if you get a puncture).

Can you just clarify the PCD of the wheels you’ve bought; in your original post you’ve stated it’s 5x100 / 5x114.3. The Polo’s PCD IS 5x100, so are your new wheels dual fitment? - i.e. do they have 10 mounting holes in the centre rather than five - like in the picture below - so they can fit vehicles that have a PCD of 5x100 and also fit vehicles with a PCD of 5x114.3?
5EF5372B-E524-482E-BFEB-F4F2DD1A201F.jpeg
5EF5372B-E524-482E-BFEB-F4F2DD1A201F.jpeg (72.97 KiB) Viewed 630 times
AP14
New

Post by AP14 »

SRGTD wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:05 am If you bought your (aftermarket?) wheels new from a reputable alloy wheel supplier, if they didn’t supply a fitting kit (bolts and spigot rings), then that suggests you’d be OK to use your existing wheel bolts.

However, assuming your alloys are aftermarket rather than genuine OEM VW wheels, then most aftermarket alloys use bolts with a tapered seat (the bolt on the left in the picture below) whereas VW OEM alloys use bolts with a radius seat (the bolt in the centre of the picture below).
BAB10E5A-593E-4043-9684-6FA8B11C1271.jpeg

Always use the correct bolt type for the wheels - i.e. the bolts that match the profile of the bolt hole in the wheel - to ensure maximum contact between the seat of the bolt and with the mating surface in the bolt hole of the wheel. Use of the wrong bolt type could mean it’s not possible to tighten them to the correct torque setting and / or they could work loose.

If in doubt, then check with the retailer you purchased your wheels from - for safety’s sake, it’s really important your wheels are safely attached to your car using the correct bolt type, they’re tightened in the correct ‘star pattern’ sequence and to the correct torque setting.

Also, if your alloys are aftermarket, most will have an oversized centre bore. The seller should supply spigot rings of the correct size for your car; these fit inside the wheel’s centre bore to help align the wheels on the hub assemblies when they’re fitted onto your car.

Lastly, if you you do need bolts with a tapered seat for your new wheels, keep a set of the existing OEM radius seat bolts in your car for the spare wheel in case you ever need to fit it to the car (e.g. if you get a puncture).

Can you just clarify the PCD of the wheels you’ve bought; in your original post you’ve stated it’s 5x100 / 5x114.3. The Polo’s PCD IS 5x100, so are your new wheels dual fitment? - i.e. do they have 10 mounting holes in the centre rather than five - like in the picture below - so they can fit vehicles that have a PCD of 5x100 and also fit vehicles with a PCD of 5x114.3?
5EF5372B-E524-482E-BFEB-F4F2DD1A201F.jpeg
yes they are dual. that picture you posted happen to be the wheels that I've purchased the xxr 530s
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

you will need spigot rings ( plastic ones are ok)
AP14
New

Post by AP14 »

amer6R wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:51 pm you will need spigot rings ( plastic ones are ok)
Ah okay. Why would I need spigot rings?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

:lol:
AP14 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:43 pm Ah okay. Why would I need spigot rings?
From my earlier post above;
SRGTD wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:05 am
Also have a read of this, which summarises why they’re fitted;
https://www.performancealloys.com/spigot-rings

Also, as mentioned in your other discussion thread, don’t forget to inform your insurance company that you’re fitting new alloys if you’ve not already done so. There’ll be a requirement in the small print of your policy to notify details of any modifications. Not informing them could have the following implications;
  • best case scenario; if your wheels are damaged beyond repair or stolen, your insurance company are likely to replace them with a set of 15” VW alloys the same as those that were originally fitted to your car.
  • worst case scenario; not informing your insurance company could invalidate your policy. If this happened then technically you could be driving uninsured which is a criminal offence.
AP14
New

Post by AP14 »

SRGTD wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:59 pm :lol:
AP14 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:43 pm Ah okay. Why would I need spigot rings?
From my earlier post above;
SRGTD wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:05 am
Also have a read of this, which summarises why they’re fitted;
https://www.performancealloys.com/spigot-rings

Also, as mentioned in your other discussion thread, don’t forget to inform your insurance company that you’re fitting new alloys if you’ve not already done so. There’ll be a requirement in the small print of your policy to notify details of any modifications. Not informing them could have the following implications;
  • best case scenario; if your wheels are damaged beyond repair or stolen, your insurance company are likely to replace them with a set of 15” VW alloys the same as those that were originally fitted to your car.
  • worst case scenario; not informing your insurance company could invalidate your policy. If this happened then technically you could be driving uninsured which is a criminal offence.
Ok perfect thank you! Yeah insurance wise I’ve already phoned them up and it’s only a £25 fee for changing the policy. I also managed to call up the place I’m getting the wheels fit and they said they’ve got bolts and stuff so hopefully they got the spigot rings aswell and they should be able to fit it all properly!