Yellow Oil Light......

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
simonfr
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.2E 55 2006

Yellow Oil Light......

Post by simonfr »

Hi everyone.

Looking for some advice. I have a 2006 (56 plate) Polo 1.2 E 55.

So, i was driving on a longer run, 120 miles last week (i do this twice a week), and half way on the journey, the yellow oil light came on.

SO off i go and read the manual. Its the oil level sensor, check the oil level. Fine. Did that, topped it up to the top on dipstick level. All good.
Next time long journey, After an hour, light came on. Kept driving for 40 miles to home. Checked oil level, topped up a small amount.
Today, id been checking oil level twice a day for 3 days. All good. Today, oil light came on. Drove 70 miles. all good. Checked oil tonight. Oil level fine.#

Ive searched the internet, some say the yellow light is low oil pressure or oil temperature too high. The manual doesnt say that anywhere. So im confused.

Is this really the oil temperature? The red light is for oil pressure surely?

The red light never comes on, only the yellow one.

There isnt any oil in the coolant, nor am i using oil, and the oil isnt foamy/frothy when hot and foam/no scum in the rocker cover. There is no performance loss, fuel consumption unchanged, drives just as good and idles like a dream.

Help/info appreciated.
johntheo2
New
Drives: Polo AW1

Re: Yellow Oil Light......

Post by johntheo2 »

If the "oil pressure" light is a solid yellow it indicates low oil level, if a flashing yellow, it means a faulty oil level sensor. If it is a solid red it indicates low oil pressure.
simonfr
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.2E 55 2006

Re: Yellow Oil Light......

Post by simonfr »

Thanks John. That’s what I read too.
I’m going to assume the sensor is faulty and keep using it.
If something nasty was going to happen I would have assumed it would have by now!