Passenger side cabin rattle/noise

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
dash09
New
Drives: 2021 AW GTI

Passenger side cabin rattle/noise

Post by dash09 »

So not exactly a rattle, difficult to describe but sort of the sound from lifting your finger off a sticky surface or 2 leather pieces rubbing together. This is what I'm hearing while driving. Its coming from somewhere on the front passenger side. This occurs when car shifts sideways as opposed to up and down on a bumpy road, and also its not constantly making the noise like a regular rattle would.
Things that I can rule out:
- handbrake rattle
- passenger visor
- glove box
- all knobs in the centre console
- loose items in storage areas
- sunroof
- seats (I have the semi leather/alcantara and cannot find anything rubbing on them, no luggage in the car, no passengers)

Do you guys know of any possible culprits? Definitely passenger side
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Passenger side cabin rattle/noise

Post by SRGTD »

The source of unwanted noises in the interior of a car can often be very difficult to find, as they can sound as if they’re coming from a specific location but they’re actually coming from somewhere completely different.

If you’ve not already done so, I’d suggest taking a passenger out in your car with you to try and locate the noise source while you’re driving. They can be that extra pair of ears and they can also move around to different areas of the car interior and listen up close to areas where you think the noise might be coming from while you concentrate on driving. They can also potential apply pressure to various interior trim pieces around the cabin that might be the cause. Alternatively, if your car insurance allows other people to drive your car, you could get someone else to drive while you do the listening and apply pressure to the interior trim.

Good luck; I hope you find it - those unwanted noises can be really irritating, and spoil the car ownership experience.
PO10ASH
Getting There!
Drives: POLO GTI+

Post by PO10ASH »

Oh don't, I've been searching a rattle for the last month that I thought was behind the dash, turns out it was the plastic between the windowscreen and mirror.
I would definately recommend getting a friend to drive your car (insured) and poking things, or get a friend to poke things while you drive.
AndiO
New
Drives: GRI

Post by AndiO »

Hi, Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? As my GTI is making the same the noise. :(
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

Probably not the same as the issue you are having but i had what i thought was either a speaker or metalic rattle from passanger side door card.

Took the doorcard off today and kid you not it appears the noise was a sticker round some wiring that was not fully stuck to itself. But some extra duty tape round it and no more noise.

Time will tell if it remains quiet.
beetle274
New
Drives: 2021 R Line

Post by beetle274 »

Had the same problem with my Up GTi....turned out to be the sunroof....I lubricated the seals and surroundings (at least as much as I could reach!) with a product called 'Gummi Pflege Stift'...worked a treat!!
Polo72
New
Drives: Polo Life 1.0 Tsi

Post by Polo72 »

My new polo also has this same noise. I didn’t have then all of a sudden it’s appeared. I’ve whacked and picked all sorts I can’t work it out. It’s driving my insane.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Polo72 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:20 am My new polo also has this same noise. I didn’t have then all of a sudden it’s appeared. I’ve whacked and picked all sorts I can’t work it out. It’s driving my insane.
Unwanted interior cabin noises can be notoriously difficult to track down - the often originate from a somewhere completely different to where you think the noise is coming from.

Always best to take a passenger out in the car as they can be a second pair of ears. They can also poke and apply pressure to any pieces of trim you suspect might be the cause of the noise while you concentrate on the driving.
Polo72
New

Post by Polo72 »

Definitely I think it’s going to take some finding. I wasn’t sure weather to ask the dealer to sort it but I kinda of think they won’t be interested as it’s not causing a use issue really
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Polo72 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:55 pm Definitely I think it’s going to take some finding. I wasn’t sure weather to ask the dealer to sort it but I kinda of think they won’t be interested as it’s not causing a use issue really
I’d be extremely reluctant to let a dealer attempt to find and fix an unwanted cabin noise. The prospect of dealership techs ripping out pieces of interior trim (and the potential damage they may case in the process) isn’t something I’d want to subject my car to.

In addition to risk of them not curing the original cabin rattle / noise, there’s a good chance they’ll create new ones! 😮.
Polo72
New

Post by Polo72 »

Yeah I kinda agree with you on that. It’s something id rather find my self of live with. I don’t rate much to dealer mechanics I’m not saying they are all bad because some will be very good but from past experiences I question some of them.