Basic Setting of electromechanical power steering impossible

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Basic Setting of electromechanical power steering impossible

Post by iichel »

Is your steering wheel centered when driving? What is the coding or the AJ power steering module? Mine is 001F00
Paulpelz
New
Drives: Polo 6R 2012 Style 1.2

Post by Paulpelz »

Yes, the steering wheel is relatively centered. There may be a small deviation but since the slip ring isn't the sender anymore this shouldn't be the problem I guess. Also as far as I know my car never was in a significant accident so there shouldn't be a deformation in the steering rack.
I don't think so, but may it be a problem that I still have the original rack installed rather than the proper one without the hydraulics?

My coding at the moment is 000300, maybe I need to fiddle around with this...
Paulpelz
New

Post by Paulpelz »

I tried resetting all the adaption values of the steering column to completely "rebuild" them without some maybe existing weird values from the donor car. This yielded no result so far. I only got a fault code C10AC F0 end stops not learned. I didn't yet try to fix it but this is definitely the problem that prevents another basic setting to apply.

Earlier the only point where it said basic settings would be possible was at more than a full turn to the left. I suspect this to be the problem why the ABS unit freaks out after a few meters. But why? It was neither the raw data zero point nor the point where the car was straight nor anything else that would make any sense.
iichel

Post by iichel »

How do you perform a basic setting?
Paulpelz
New

Post by Paulpelz »

First I do little bit of driving. Slow and careful, as straight as possible but also some corners. When I am back at my parking spot I turn my steering wheel fully to the left and hold it for about 2 seconds, then the same for the right. Then I go into 44 and look into the adv. meas. list. There I search for "winkel" ("angle" in english) und take the one about if it is possible or not possible to do a basic setting. I turn the wheel until the value says "möglich" ("possible"). Then, still holding the steering wheel in exactly this position (which is nowhere near straight by the way), I exit 44, go to 03, type in the login code 40168, go to basic settings and chose "Geber für Lenkwinkel: Nullabgleich durchführen" (what I think should be "steering angle sender: do zero adjustment" in english). I press start and after not even a second it says "Abgeschlossen" ("Done").
After that all the faults in 03 and 44 disappear but come back after a few meters of driving.

Please don't tell me I'm an idiot and did it wrong the whole time :lol:
Paulpelz
New

Post by Paulpelz »

I am happy to report that the EMPS it is now finally working flawlessly. :D :D
"All" i did was to reset the steering assist control unit to its factory state. After that I had faults about no basic settings and no end stops learned. First I relearned the end stops by turning the steering wheel fully to one side and holding it there until the instrument cluster beeps three times. Than I turned the steering wheel to the other side and again waiting to hear the three ear-shattering beeps. After that back to the center position. Looking into the adv. meas. list I looked for the measurement that tells me if the basic settings is possible or not. Now that my steering column knew where it was centered, the area where it was possible was, as intended, right in the center.
After that the same procedure as every time: Go to 03, type in the 40168 login code, do basic setting of the steering angle sender.

As a side note: My problem of the steering column hitting the clutch pedal when it was pressed was resolved by just swapping the two screws that hold the coupling piece between column and rack.
iichel

Post by iichel »

Good to hear it was solved. You indeed followed the correct procedure.