Engine hesitation after service and cam belt change.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Shirespeed
New
Drives: Polo 1.2 TSI

Engine hesitation after service and cam belt change.

Post by Shirespeed »

I had my Polo 1.2 tsi 2015 model serviced (major) at a VW main dealer on Monday, and the cam belt and tensioner changed. Since then the car is hesitating slightly when the throttle is gently opened.

If you are driving down a gentle incline on overrun at around 1800rpm and gently press the accelerator pedal, the engine ‘stumbles’ or hesitates before picking up. Also if you drive along a flat road at say 35mph in 4th gear, and just feather the throttle to keep a constant speed, the engine runs rough and jerks through the transmission as it alternately hesitates and picks up. It was fine before the dealer had it.

I called today and they are going to have a look tomorrow, but the woman on the phone had a word with the technician and told me that they may have over tightened the cam belt tensioner. I can’t see how that would cause a hesitation or misfire on applying a touch of throttle; the problem feels more like a fuel problem, a bit like a car with a carburettor and choke hesitating when it’s not warmed up properly, and the choke has been pushed in too early.

Would anyone have any ideas, comments to make, please?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Engine hesitation after service and cam belt change.

Post by RUM4MO »

I've read about this sort of thing happening when getting the cambelt replaced on that engine type, not good and makes me worry about when I eventually get the belt changed on my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS - these belts don't need changing this early unless they have become damaged for some other reason, but that is cold comfort for you!

The comments made would just be something said in way of an excuse, so when they open it up I'd hope that they find that the timing is slightly out, or some other connected to this belt change task, that is reversible.

Good luck, let us know what the outcome is.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

maybe they update software on the ecu ?
Shirespeed
New

Post by Shirespeed »

Well I took the car back to the dealer, and before they even looked at the car, they said the ‘timing’ my might be out. I had to press them as to what timing they were referring to (valve, ignition, or fuel injection), and they said they meant the cam belt timing.

They had a look, road tested it, checked for fault codes and although they could find nothing wrong, they slackened the cam belt tensioner slightly, and confirmed that the timing was ‘spot on’.

The car is better, although not perfect, there is still a slight hesitation when feathering the throttle, and I’m sure it wasn’t there before they had it. I can’t help but wonder if they have left a sensor disconnected, or an air pressure reading pipe off somewhere, but I can’t see anything wrong, and if that were the case, I’d have thought it would put an engine management light in and have generated a fault code for them to read.
Shirespeed
New

Post by Shirespeed »

Well I took the car back to the dealer, and before they even looked at the car, they said the ‘timing’ my might be out. I had to press them as to what timing they were referring to (valve, ignition, or fuel injection), and they said they meant the cam belt timing.

They had a look, road tested it, checked for fault codes and although they could find nothing wrong, they slackened the cam belt tensioner slightly, and confirmed that the timing was ‘spot on’.

The car is better, although not perfect, there is still a slight hesitation when feathering the throttle, and I’m sure it wasn’t there before they had it. I can’t help but wonder if they have left a sensor disconnected, or an air pressure reading pipe off somewhere, but I can’t see anything wrong, and if that were the case, I’d have thought it would put an engine management light on and have generated a fault code for them to read.
2fast4ya
Getting There!
Drives: polo 1.8 tsi gti bluetec

Post by 2fast4ya »

Its possible that there is air in the cooling system !
They might not have purged it properly !?
I had a similar problem on my golf gti so i undone the expansion cap put the heating on full heat then turned the engine on & let the car coolant get to temp , once it was at temp i put the cap back on & it seemed to sort the issue .
But ive noticed that on the newer vw’s a code will come up on the diagnostic saying about coolant issue but its only coz the cap was off whilst the engine was running so not a problem .
Shirespeed
New

Post by Shirespeed »

Update:
The car went back to the dealer yet again, and on the way there, the hesitation / misfire manifested itself, so I held the throttle in the ‘just open, feathered position’ so that the shunting became worse and worse and eventually the engine warning light came on.

The dealer was able to read the fault codes which diagnosed faulty coil packs on cylinders 1&4. They swapped those coil packs with those on cylinders 2&3, and now the car is fine.

I’m still unsure as to how that could have made a difference, unless the coil packs are breaking down and moving them around has hidden the faults in some way, or improved the electrical connections, which were less than ideal.

Of course another possibility is that they had made an error with the service of some kind, which they have discovered but are unwilling to admit to, and the coil packs story is a cover story.
Retali
New

Post by Retali »

From what i understand,regarding the hesitation. It sounds like coil pack/coils/cables.
I have the same common sense, regarding the swapping. I do not understand aswell how swapping could fix a problem , the only thing it could do is identifying the problem.
But the problem will be moved to the other cylinders.

Also common sense says that they should have the error codes the first time you sent it to recheck it unless you didnt have any lights pop up then.

Dont you have any obd yourself like obd11 etc. I have one and it helps in the sense that they cant really s**t me when i go to a garage. I can see the codes , google them etc.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Retali wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:06 am From what i understand,regarding the hesitation. It sounds like coil pack/coils/cables.
I have the same common sense, regarding the swapping. I do not understand aswell how swapping could fix a problem , the only thing it could do is identifying the problem.
But the problem will be moved to the other cylinders.

Also common sense says that they should have the error codes the first time you sent it to recheck it unless you didnt have any lights pop up then.

Dont you have any obd yourself like obd11 etc. I have one and it helps in the sense that they cant really s**t me when i go to a garage. I can see the codes , google them etc.
Yes, same here, to really make best use of that cover story, they should have sold and fitted new coils on cylinders 1 and 4 - just telling that silly story makes them look a bit silly.

Also, last thing that I always do/did when getting dealerships to service cars that are under warranty, is/was to read the fault codes and save a copy of them and leave them still logged in memory, and same after getting home with the car.
Mariusbotha_01
New
Drives: Polo 1.2 tsi

Post by Mariusbotha_01 »

Hi there everyone. Anyone knows what the problem here was? I had taken my 2015 polo tsi in for timing belt service and now sitting with the exact same problem! A bit of a back story, after the belt was replaced, I experienced missfires on idle but no fault codes! Engin would idle smoothly and suddenly surge, you could feel the whole car shaking and then this would happen every 14 seconds or so... The mechanic redid the timing which resulted in an improvement bit the car was still idling rough! After returning the car for a 2nd time, the mechanic insisted that the timing was correct and suggested new coil plugs and injector testing which car came back clear , a bit dirty but had them cleaned and surge continued! Next was coil packs, now a smoother idle but the car missfired on low exeleration in high gear, such as keeping a steady speed and refs @ 2000.
Returned the car a 3rd time,threw a fault code running rich and this time the owner of the RMI registered workshop did the timing himself and informed me that the car is running smoothly now, but timing was spot on and no changes was made. Did compression test , came back clear.
After driving the car for 2 days the same rough idle continued but the car was driving smoothly now, at this stage ,I replaced the fuel filter myself over the weekend which has never been changed, 79000kmh on clock and the petrol inside was black brown with noticeable granuals of dirt! Car went back again as the new filter made no difference and apparently they found that the spark plug gaps were set to 0.3mm ,adjusted these to 0.7mm and the idling has improved with 90% ,runs mostly smooth, or not rough enough for a workshop to see fault except now i have this same hesitation when driving ! From my personal knowledge, I believe the car ran much smoother before all these new parts were installed and thousands spend on repairs. I'm at a lost financially and can't pay to have VW redo the timing a 3rd time..any help would be appreciated.

Also full service was done.
Waterpump replaced
Coil packs.
Injector tested and cleaned
Leak down test came back clear.
Compression test came back clear.
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Here we were reflecting on the change of the timing belt in the EA211 engines. :arrow: viewtopic.php?p=600330#p600330
I wrote my final conclusion in blue. :arrow: viewtopic.php?p=600340#p600340

In the most current 'Evo' engines, the opening and closing angles of the valves/cams are even coded during the camshaft manufacturing process, that is, two identical engines are not the same and cannot share these parts. :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wavP8h1rKg8