Petrol in diesel engine :(

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Jody Gibbons
New
Drives: 2009 VW Polo 1.4Tdi Match 5d 9n3

Petrol in diesel engine :(

Post by Jody Gibbons »

Hi,

So this evening I accidentally put petrol in my diesel engined VW polo :oops:

It was nearly empty, so started to fill up, wasn't much before I realised (under 5L) I was putting in petrol. Then I topped up the rest with diesel thinking I could 'get away' with it as it would be heavily diluted (added 50L diesel). Worked out approximately 8% petrol went in - I drove home the 20 miles without issue. But I'm thinking I really should take it to the garage to get drained and the contaminated diesel removed.

I understand a little bit of diesel in a petrol car is not as big of a deal. But diesel in petrol is worse even if its not that much :(

Many Thanks
Jody
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Petrol in diesel engine :(

Post by iichel »

I wouldn't worry too much about 8%
Jody Gibbons
New

Post by Jody Gibbons »

Thanks iichel, I have since read online if you keep topping it up with diesel regularly (every 50-75 miles or so) it will keep further diluting the little bit of petrol that is in there which will limit its damage.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Yeah diluting is never a bad idea.
With your 9N3 engine not being a common rail engine, that should be ok-ish. It's not ideal but for a common rail engine, I'd be a bit more precautious.

Back in the days, diesel was regularly mixed in the winter times to prevent it from flaking with petrol or petroleum.
Jody Gibbons
New

Post by Jody Gibbons »

Interesting, I didn't realise they used to mix the two back in the day in the winter.

Good to hear its not a common rail engine, hopefully that'll work out abit better.

Anyway recalculating the petrol percentage - I had it wrong, it was slightly higher than I first thought (15%) nearly double :(