Washer reservoir leak

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Washer reservoir leak

Post by littlepolo »

I have the dreaded leak and guess its the seal where the pump motor attaches to the reservoir. I can retain a part fill and everything works but when I fill 100% it leaks down.

Can the seal be swapped out through the front n/a wheel arch liner or is it a bumper off job?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Washer reservoir leak

Post by RUM4MO »

From long time ago memory, yes, it is possible through the wheel arch liner, never needed to do it, but I did remove the wheel arch liners.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Thanks RUM4MO. I do plan to take the front bumper off later to spray paint it and don't want to repeat the job of removing and replacing it. Will have a fish around under the wheel arch. I'm guessing that the motor to reservoir grommet needs replacing (will see if a good silicone compound might help!)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think that fitting a new grommet should work better at a first time fix.

I did take the front bumper cover off my wife's 2002 Polo because I wanted to remove a headlight assembly and epoxy glue maybe the/a bulb frame support as I needed to get it into the correct orientation so that it was in the correct position while the epoxy hardened - no big issues getting the bumper off, which was handy!
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

It's not the grommet! New pump ordered to save time on repairing existing and risk of future failure.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

There was a leak from the pump itself nearby the pipe union and one of the pipes also had a slight weep at the union. Replaced pump and bonded pipe to union with adhesive.