Which 5W30?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Which 5W30?

Post by littlepolo »

I reverted back to 5W30 from 5W40 after rebuilding my engine the other year. I have been using Shell Helix Professional which I change every 6 months, or thereabouts, with 3-5k miles max on the clock at that time. What would be a good option for a cheaper oil? I did use Fuchs before (though need to check carefully for VW spec) but that is not much cheaper. I'm seeing Mannol at a good price. Any suggestions pls?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Which 5W30?

Post by RUM4MO »

I tend to only ever, nowadays, use Mobil One 5W-30 ESP which is not a cheap oil, but I only ever buy it online via ebay traders who tend to be SEAT and Honda dealership!

I used to buy it from Opie Oils, which was okay as I was servicing 2 cars so was always buying 2 X 5litre containers, so the carriage/postage was free, but I feel that like many places, once they have acquired a large number of buyers, they seem to have eased the price up relative to some other online sellers.

I always think that the plan should be to buy a good oil at a really good price, rather than buy an average oil at a jacked up price, I gave up on Castrol many many years ago as they really did know how to get big money for average oils.

There are some people who say that even Asda's own brand VW compliant to 504 spec is easily good enough for these engines as they were designed with poorer quality poorer performing oils, ie to VW spec 502, and synthetic oils have moved on in leaps and bounds over the past 20 years - or so we are lead to believe.