Non Start possible timing chain issue

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
gerinemo
New
Drives: Polo 9n3

Non Start possible timing chain issue

Post by gerinemo »

Hi Folks
Haven't been on in a while
I have a 2008 VW Polo 9N3 1.2 70 BHP, engine code BZG
Yesterday I went to visit a relative and their driveway is very very steep
After parking I got out and the car rolled back a few inches and made a couple of funny noises I always leave the car in gear as my own drive way is also a bit steep

I decided to move the car out on to the road as I thought it may roll back further
Anyway after starting it up it sounded like a bag of spanners and cut out and it did restart for a few seconds but sounded like a diesel and cut out again

I managed to push the car down the hill to my own place in neutral but it will not start now

I suspect the timing chain may have snapped or jumped so might try doing a compression test today

Anyone here know if this in an interference engine ? will there be valve damage the engine has 235.000KM on it and always sounded noisy for a few seconds on start up so I suspect the chain was worn

Many thanks
J
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Non Start possible timing chain issue

Post by RUM4MO »

Like most modern engines, I'm 90% sure that this one will be an interference engine, I think that your guessing is correct in as much as, if you left that car in a forward gear on a backwards sloping steep driveway, then the engine has been forced to rotate against the weak, slack and opposite direction of rotation, so something will have given, like initially slipped a tooth or more and now probably valve damage.

Sorry!
gerinemo
New
Drives: Polo 9n3

Re: Non Start possible timing chain issue

Post by gerinemo »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:37 am Like most modern engines, I'm 90% sure that this one will be an interference engine, I think that your guessing is correct in as much as, if you left that car in a forward gear on a backwards sloping steep driveway, then the engine has been forced to rotate against the weak, slack and opposite direction of rotation, so something will have given, like initially slipped a tooth or more and now probably valve damage.

Sorry!
Hi RUM4MO
Yep did a compression test on Sat as I suspect the valves to be damaged
No compression on 1&2 and about 5 bar on 3
Sadly it will be going to the breakers :-(
Thanks for your input
J