My experiences with Racingline Stage 1 tune

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
GTI_Guy
New
Drives: 2016 1.8ltr GTI Manual

My experiences with Racingline Stage 1 tune

Post by GTI_Guy »

So i went all in and got a stage 1 tune from Racingline put on my 2016 VW Polo Gti 1.8l MANUAL.

I had it on there for a month and then got it taken off and put back to factory. The reason i did so was because of fluctuating RPM's at around 2k on slow acceleration. It did this weird thing where the throttle flicks on and off and apparently Racingline are aware of this problem on that specific engine and are unable to do anything about it. From what I gathered Its something to do with the atmospheric pressure (that cannot be changed) and the fact that my GTI is a manual and a DGS would shift before/ after that flutter in throttle response.

I also noticed a considerable leap in torque which was causing some clutch slip even high up in 5/6th gears which kinda put me off keeping the tune on there.

The added power was fun but actually pretty unusable for a daily driver in london.

Has anyone else experienced this? Also are there any other tunes out there that are worth giving a shot? APR? Celtic? etc...
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Re: My experiences with Racingline Stage 1 tune

Post by Dink »

people say the clutches are weak in these but the gear box is only rated for 350Nm so the clutch has to hold around that much before it slips to save the gearbox. (in reality the gearbox can take a lot more than that)

the load of a trying to accelerate in high gears will cause the slip to be a lot worse.

any sort of tuning from stock will require an upgraded clutch due to the big increase in torque from these engines.

APR is a good choice if you only want a stage 1 tune as that is all they offer now.

mine is tuned by MRC and is pretty quick now so can recommend them also ecotune are supposed to be fairly decent too.
GTI_Guy
New
Drives: 2016 1.8ltr GTI Manual

Post by GTI_Guy »

Cheers for the info Dink mate.

What clutch kit have you got with your MRC tune? The TT RS that you mentioned on my other post????

Have you got a 6 speed manual GTI too or DSG?

MRC look great, was it mad expensive doing the rolling road bespoke tune?

Also looked into ecotune but theyre a bit far away from me (london based)
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

i'm using a sachs organic clutch kit with a single mass flywheel. i'd highly not recommend this lol

yeah i have the 6 speed manual wouldn't touch the DSG with a barge pole.

yeah it was pretty expensive for the tune but that was for a bigger turbo, injectors and HP fuel pump.

there's probably a few other tuners around that area that can do a decent tune on the car
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

The stiffness of the pressure plate will highly dictate the stiffness of the cluch pedal feel.
Stiffer/ stronger the pressure plate it will be able to hold more Nm/ ft/lbs