Convert UK headlight format to German beam format permanently?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
bastifantasti
New
Drives: Mk5 Match Edition 2014 (6R) Flash Red

Convert UK headlight format to German beam format permanently?

Post by bastifantasti »

Hello all,

I am moving to Germany and taking my VW Polo with me. It is 2014 registration, manufactured in 2013 - it is a Red 1.4 Litre Petrol, 6R (i think, need to double check that it is 6R and not 6C).

From what I understand in the UK, the front headlights have their beam deflected slightly to the left, whereas in Germany the beam must be deflected slightly to the right. I have contacted my local VW garage to ask them to carry out the work for me, and they were basically not interested in helping me other than offering me headlight deflector stickers (which if I want to register my car in germany are not acceptable, only acceptable for short trips there).

I was wondering if any of you knew what I could do. Could I simply buy some polo headlights that match the model of my car, but designed for a european polo? Can i simply replace them myself, or is it not so simple?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Convert UK headlight format to German beam format permanently?

Post by iichel »

Yes, buy some used or new LHD headlights, put them in and and get them set up properly.
The rear fog light being on the right had side might also be a small issue, you probably need to get that one moved to the other side.
bastifantasti
New
Drives: Mk5 Match Edition 2014 (6R) Flash Red

Post by bastifantasti »

Thanks iichel - currently on German ebay buying a pair - i was hoping you wouldn't mention the fog light - i checked and that seems a bit more tricky to switch over as cabling will need re-routing :shock:
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Yes you need to swap over two wires but that should not be too difficult. I could probably even make you a plug-and-play adapter if you don't feel like making it yourself.