Service intervals

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Service intervals

Post by Steve_2019 »

Now my Polo is coming out of it warranty stage im looking too service it when it goes in for it's MOT. That for me is every 11k-12k. The car ask for a service every 95000 miles what seem bit short for me. What's other peoples thought on the service schedule. The oil still looks clean at 9k.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Service intervals

Post by SRGTD »

If it’s on time and distance servicing, the ‘distance’ figure is 9,300.

I think in countries that measure distance in kilometres, servicing is due at the sooner of 12 months or 15k kilometres and converting 15k kilometres to miles is near enough 9,300 miles, hence why your car is triggering a ‘service due’ reminder at around that mileage (assume 95,000 in your post is a typo and you meant 9,500).

Cars on VW’s longlife / flexible service regime can travel for up to 18,600 miles / two years before needing an oil change; I think VW’s long life / flexible service regime was originally introduced to help operators of vehicle fleets manage their servicing costs, but I personally wouldn’t want my car on VW’s to run my car up to 18,600 miles or two years before its oil was changed. However, if you’re covering 11,000 - 12,000 miles in 12 months but plan on servicing your car at annually, you could consider using longlife oil to VW’s approved spec, which should be fine for 12,000 if VW have said it’s OK for 18,600 miles / two years. I’ve read on some forums that VW dealers actually use long life oil for all servicing, irrespective of whether a car is on time and distance or longlife/ flexible servicing, but I don’t know if they do.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

VW dealers do indeed use the same long life oil on all services,all oils are the same irrespective of the type of service.
This makes sense as a dealer to only use / stock the higher spec oil as this is ordered in bulk and having multiple tanks is a cost and space problem.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member

Post by Steve_2019 »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:46 pm If it’s on time and distance servicing, the ‘distance’ figure is 9,300.

I think in countries that measure distance in kilometres, servicing is due at the sooner of 12 months or 15k kilometres and converting 15k kilometres to miles is near enough 9,300 miles, hence why your car is triggering a ‘service due’ reminder at around that mileage (assume 95,000 in your post is a typo and you meant 9,500).

Cars on VW’s longlife / flexible service regime can travel for up to 18,600 miles / two years before needing an oil change; I think VW’s long life / flexible service regime was originally introduced to help operators of vehicle fleets manage their servicing costs, but I personally wouldn’t want my car on VW’s to run my car up to 18,600 miles or two years before its oil was changed. However, if you’re covering 11,000 - 12,000 miles in 12 months but plan on servicing your car at annually, you could consider using longlife oil to VW’s approved spec, which should be fine for 12,000 if VW have said it’s OK for 18,600 miles / two years. I’ve read on some forums that VW dealers actually use long life oil for all servicing, irrespective of whether a car is on time and distance or longlife/ flexible servicing, but I don’t know if they do.
Thanks for the reply SRGTD. You are right my car was giving longlife oil on its last service at VW (Total Quartz 5W30) what I understand is classed as long life oil. Reading the invoice from its last service.

Yes I meant 9,500 miles in my post.

Like you say on the latest Polo they say that you can do upto 18.600 miles on there service intervals. So im sure our Polo's could do the same mileage if you wanted to between service's. But how that effect's the long life of the engine I dont know. Maybe should have more faith in modern oils.

But for me 12.000 miles fits in for when it goes for it's MOT.
PO10ASH
Getting There!
Drives: POLO GTI+

Post by PO10ASH »

I had my first service on around 10k miles and then second service on around 22k miles, wouldn't worry too much but around the 10k mark is a sweet spot according to the money makers.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

I'm the opposite..

I have the service notice come up.. 30 days left.. and have only done 1500 miles this year.. oil is obviously clean as a whistle.

It baulks a bit to have it serviced in a month's time. i have a service payment plan (seemed good idea at the time and is necessary to keep the warranty valid) so have to follow it regardless.

No doubt the cam belt will need changing at some point. presume that is time related and not mileage?
sirwolfie
New
Drives: A45

Post by sirwolfie »

Hi All,

My daughter picked up her new GTi last week and is loving it. However, when I was looking it over at the weekend I noticed that the service indicator was showing next service at 2 years. Is this right, I thought servicing was required every 12 months? the VW on-line service option was showing £384 for two services.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

sirwolfie wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:50 pm Hi All,

My daughter picked up her new GTi last week and is loving it. However, when I was looking it over at the weekend I noticed that the service indicator was showing next service at 2 years. Is this right, I thought servicing was required every 12 months? the VW on-line service option was showing £384 for two services.
I think the factory sets the service indicator for flexible / long life servicing as the default position. Under the flexible / long life service regime servicing is the sooner of 18,600 or 24 months which is why your daughter’s car is showing two years until it’s first service. Servicing for cars set to the time and distance service regime is every 9,300 or 12 months whichever is sooner.

The service indicator can be changed from long life to time and distance; with my last three cars, I asked the dealer to set mine to time and distance before I’ve collected the car.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... dules.html
sirwolfie
New
Drives: A45

Post by sirwolfie »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:27 pm
sirwolfie wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:50 pm Hi All,

I think the factory sets the service indicator for flexible / long life servicing as the default position. Under the flexible / long life service regime servicing is the sooner of 18,600 or 24 months which is why your daughter’s car is showing two years until it’s first service. Servicing for cars set to the time and distance service regime is every 9,300 or 12 months whichever is sooner.

The service indicator can be changed from long life to time and distance; with my last three cars, I asked the dealer to set mine to time and distance before I’ve collected the car.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... dules.html

SRGTD, many thanks for this. I prefer the oil is changed annually on all my cars. I will get her to pop into the dealers to get this changed to time and distance.
Andy D
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTi + in Flash Red

Post by Andy D »

We only cover around 3,000 miles per year. Our GTi + comes out of warranty at the end of January, do I really need to service it annually. I was thinking bi-annually would be sufficient.

Mind you the VW is a lot cheaper than my Mercedes C200, the last service including transmission oil change was over £1,100 !! last April. :shock:
Steve_2019
Bronze Member

Post by Steve_2019 »

Andy D wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:46 pm We only cover around 3,000 miles per year. Our GTi + comes out of warranty at the end of January, do I really need to service it annually. I was thinking bi-annually would be sufficient.

Mind you the VW is a lot cheaper than my Mercedes C200, the last service including transmission oil change was over £1,100 !! last April. :shock:

I would change the oil and filter once a year.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Andy D wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:46 pm We only cover around 3,000 miles per year. Our GTi + comes out of warranty at the end of January, do I really need to service it annually. I was thinking bi-annually would be sufficient.

@Andy D; If you were planning to use VW dealerships for servicing, you could consider VW’s ‘All In’ product which gives you;
- two services
- two years warranty
- two years MOT cover
- two years roadside assistance

The cost is (currently) £29.99 a month, spread over two years or a one off payment of £719.76.

Link to All In information on VW’s website below;
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... gLvLvD_BwE
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

I've booked our Polo in to the nearest VW dealer in December for it's 1st MOT plus an "Annual Service".

The dash currently displays the usual confusing double message -

"Inspection in 15400 mi or 46 days"
+
"Oil change service in 4700 mi or 46 days"

When will they learn?

Both the previous annual services were carried out by the "man round the corner" near home with VW parts plus oil purchased by me.
Each service less than 1 hour of labour.

The cost of the first 2 services together was less than the dealer will take for the third service - no surprise there.

What will be done at the third annual service is unclear. I quote from their confirmation eMail.

1. Carry out EVHC including video (cringe)
2. Price Quoted £261.53 + £54.85 MOT
3. If the car has a dashcam please turn it off before starting work
4. Carry out MOT test
5. Carry out 3rd year service as required

Clear as mud.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member

Post by Steve_2019 »

Boxerboy wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:39 pm I've booked our Polo in to the nearest VW dealer in December for it's 1st MOT plus an "Annual Service".

The dash currently displays the usual confusing double message -

"Inspection in 15400 mi or 46 days"
+
"Oil change service in 4700 mi or 46 days"

When will they learn?

Both the previous annual services were carried out by the "man round the corner" near home with VW parts plus oil purchased by me.
Each service less than 1 hour of labour.

The cost of the first 2 services together was less than the dealer will take for the third service - no surprise there.

What will be done at the third annual service is unclear. I quote from their confirmation eMail.

1. Carry out EVHC including video (cringe)
2. Price Quoted £261.53 + £54.85 MOT
3. If the car has a dashcam please turn it off before starting work
4. Carry out MOT test
5. Carry out 3rd year service as required

Clear as mud.
My Polo has just had its 3rd service with 32k miles on the clock and they done:

Changed oil/ filter
Air filter
Spark plugs
Brake fluid what I had pay extra for.

Now the car is out of warranty I most likely tackle the annual service myself in the future to save on costs.