Airbag Removal

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
SimonPoole
Getting There!

Airbag Removal

Post by SimonPoole »

I've been trying to get the airbag of the steering wheel in my son's 62 plate Polo Match and it doesn't seem to want to come out.

I've seen the videos online about removing the trim on top of the steering column and then using a mirror to view the clips holding it in. I have used a screwdriver to push each clip out of the way but when I've pushed it across the airbag doesn't spring forwards and cannot be pulled out either.

The steering wheel is the three spoke leather trimmed version with the steering wheel controls on one side only.

Anyone got any ideas please?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Airbag Removal

Post by iichel »

Yeah you got the nastier of the two airbags. The key is to get a really really thin flat headed screwdriver. Wedge it inbetween, like properly inbetween. And pull really hard on the airbag. It's a bit-ch and the airbag I hate most when doing retrofits.
SimonPoole
Getting There!

Post by SimonPoole »

iichel wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:47 pm Yeah you got the nastier of the two airbags. The key is to get a really really thin flat headed screwdriver. Wedge it inbetween, like properly inbetween. And pull really hard on the airbag. It's a bit-ch and the airbag I hate most when doing retrofits.
Just my luck!
Thanks for the advice. I'll have another go later on.
VAG-Abound
New
Drives: MY12 Match (plus tinkering...)

Post by VAG-Abound »

Tips here boosted my confidence that it would come out eventually! I found that a strong but slim table knife (ie not very sharp edge or point) worked for pushing the clip out of the way and then going into the little gap created while pulling it off.