Fuel leak

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
polomadness
New
Drives: 65 plate

Fuel leak

Post by polomadness »

65 plate polo, leaking fuel when engine is running on the drivers side appears near the rear tire - I think there’s two leaks close to each other. I would assume it’s somewhere near the fuel filter. But don’t know for sure.

Any ideas what else could it be? No garage anywhere near open on the weekend so will have to be looked at on Monday.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Fuel leak

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes that is where the petrol fuel filter "lives", I've never heard about any issues around the petrol filter area over the past 20 years and there has not been much if anything altered in a major way around that.

You can buy, or used to be able to buy repair kits for the push-on couplers, I bought a couple of sets of repair kits for when I replaced that filter on a 2002 Polo - but over the 13 years and 105K miles we owned it from new, I never ever got round to replacing the filter.

So either something has ended "getting up into that space" and done some damage, or you are just unlucky and a push-on coupler has failed - maybe try pushing them "in" again to see if that locks them back up again, no harm in trying that.

The petrol filter is located just in front of the right side rear wheel, the fuel lift pump will be located nearer the tank - I think.
polomadness
New
Drives: 65 plate

Post by polomadness »

I think there was a recall on Polos due to fuel filter failure, but tbh could be just my great luck. Don’t think I fancy messing around with flammables. Thanks regardless. Hopefully it won’t be too expensive to fix as moving house atm and this is a nasty unexpected cost.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Oh, I have not heard about any petrol filter leaking recalls - there is, for your age of Polo with that engine, a potential for HP fuel bolts head(s) snapping - but there again, no recall in Europe, it is only high pressure petrol that sprayed around!