WeConnect issue

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

WeConnect issue

Post by lancslad1985 »

Just a little warning for anyone with a new polo. I picked mine up and everytime I click privacy or make me primary user I just get a loading screen and nothing happens. After a week of emails with Vw WeConnect help desk, my car has to go back to the dealership to sort.

This may not sound like a big issue, but the car won’t update the software over the air without it. So this is my third polo of my own and all three have had issues. The various other Vw cars I’ve had in between them have had zero….. at least I can get the service time in the car reset as some bright spark set it to 20k miles…..
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: WeConnect issue

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve seen a similar (or might’ve been the same) issue mentioned a few times on mk8 Golf forums; same with Seat Connect on a Seat forum.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

After reading about issues like this, I made sure the dealer sat with me in the car and set it up for me.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Only thing I've ever connected is my phone to the car for music.
I don't use half the kit, don't know why I keep buying them. :lol:
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Well my car has been in all day and they’re stumped. Nothing like buying a brand new car with an issue and has soured my experience already. They’ve literally no idea what to do as they’ve never seen it before. Hopefully I’ll see my car again at some point and not have to reject it!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:28 pm Well my car has been in all day and they’re stumped. Nothing like buying a brand new car with an issue and has soured my experience already. They’ve literally no idea what to do as they’ve never seen it before. Hopefully I’ll see my car again at some point and not have to reject it!
Probably worth doing a trawl of some of the other VW forums. I can recall some mk8 Golf owners having similar issues; sorry, can’t remember which forum(s) but you could try doing a search of the mk8 forum boards on vwroc.com, golfgtiforum.co.uk and golfmk8.com

Hope you get it sorted 🤞. Glad my GTI+ is old tech and I don’t have these issues to contend with.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Thing is SRGTD it isn’t that old. I’ve used WeConnect on previous cars and it works fine on my wife’s car and worked on my Tiguan. But my car won’t connect to the server unless it’s plugged in at VW. So I’m waiting on Germany now to come up with a solution and a new head unit has already been mentioned. Can see me being without my new car for a while now.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Well I’ve decided that if it’s just the WeConnect that’s impacted and everything else is fine then I’ll collect the car. I can’t be bothered waiting for something I rarely use and I’ll just chase weekly to see if it can be booked back in. This taigo is terrible and worse than my gti on fuel consumption despite doing roughly 50mpg.

Might be a mistake, but I rarely used the app on my previous cars bar to send things to my sat nav. Car play works fine.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:33 am Well I’ve decided that if it’s just the WeConnect that’s impacted and everything else is fine then I’ll collect the car. I can’t be bothered waiting for something I rarely use and I’ll just chase weekly to see if it can be booked back in. This taigo is terrible and worse than my gti on fuel consumption despite doing roughly 50mpg.

Might be a mistake, but I rarely used the app on my previous cars bar to send things to my sat nav. Car play works fine.
I think you’ve made the right decision. I’ve never used the app since first loading it onto my phone two years ago after checking the driving data and discovering that it was incorrect. I don’t need an app to do such things as tell me where I’ve parked my car (I’m not that forgetful 🤣), remind me when my car needs to be serviced (I know when it needs servicing) or to analyse my driving style to give me ‘useful’ driving tips to help me save fuel (I can manage to get 50+ mpg on a journey if I want to with my current driving style).

From what I’ve read on other (VW and Seat) forums, it’s also not unknown for WeConnect to give false notifications such as warning of a door being unlocked when it’s not or the alarm has been triggered when it hasn’t. That could be quite worrying for owners if they’re not in a position to physically check their car e.g. if their car is parked at an airport and they’re out of the country.

Thanks VW, but I’ll ‘struggle’ on without the benefit of WeConnect……..🤔

I’m not a fan of the Tiago either. IMHO it’s another of those pointless vehicles dreamt up by a marketing department and it doesn’t offer any benefit over the T-Cross.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Well I’ve been told the factory are now involved so they’re keeping the car on site as they get phone calls where they want information and data immediately. So turns out I’m not getting my own car back. Three weeks of ownership and I haven’t seen it for a week.

Guess I have to make a decision at some point about whether I reject the car or just accept it.
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

Post by LEEA123 »

Had so many issues with this on my current golf 8, I just gave up, in the end, they can sort it when it goes in for the part exchange. The service screen where shows you the next service and all that never worked. Constant disconnects from online service, logging me out. Telling me some services are not available and my privacy setting needs changing and of course, it's fully open. Many many more, just can't be bothered to list.

So I just gave up on it all, add to that the voice recognition is useless and so is the satnav as far as I am concerned. So just use the apple car play and forget about the rest of it nowadays :)
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

That’s interesting Leea. Still no update on my car sadly and they don’t seem keen to let me have it with just the WeConnect not working.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

So there’s been three other cars with the same issue back to Inchcape in the last week. Another polo and a troc. Some sort of software issue that stops the car updating completely and they can’t release my car back to me.

I’ve rejected the car and asked for a replacement. Gone with kings red as it’s here next month and I’ve had too many white cars and won’t have black. Grey is December but my wife has a grey r line and after the issues with my blue bluegt and my blue gti I won’t wait six months for blue. They’ve said same deal as now with free servicing. Can’t recommend Inchcape in Bolton enough, sales team has been great and really looked after me.

Anyone getting a new polo, make sure you check WeConnect works BEFORE driving away. There’s currently no fix for this issue and no timeframe as to when there will be one.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:18 pm So there’s been three other cars with the same issue back to Inchcape in the last week. Another polo and a troc. Some sort of software issue that stops the car updating completely and they can’t release my car back to me.

I’ve rejected the car and asked for a replacement. Gone with kings red as it’s here next month and I’ve had too many white cars and won’t have black. Grey is December but my wife has a grey r line and after the issues with my blue bluegt and my blue gti I won’t wait six months for blue. They’ve said same deal as now with free servicing. Can’t recommend Inchcape in Bolton enough, sales team has been great and really looked after me.

Anyone getting a new polo, make sure you check WeConnect works BEFORE driving away. There’s currently no fix for this issue and no timeframe as to when there will be one.
So if it’s a known issue with no timeframe to fix it, won’t the Kings Red replacement also have the same issue as presumably it’s already been built (with the same software as your rejected car?) and in transit if it’ll be at the dealers ready for collection next month.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

@srgtd it’s now a known issue on a small number of cars. They’ve had three cars from 155 sold in the last month and they’ll check it before I collect it.

I’ve nothing to lose as I want a polo gti anyway and my blue one could be months before being fixed. My wife’s r line was built same time as my gti and is fine as are other new VWs I know of. Plus my current car, ie the Guinea pig, will be being worked on in that month so they should find a fix.