GTI - Aircon, Heated Seat & Lambda issues!

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Ojs26
New
Drives: 6c gti

GTI - Aircon, Heated Seat & Lambda issues!

Post by Ojs26 »

Hi All,

Recently bought a 66 plate GTI 6C.

When I bought the car I knew about 3 issues:

1 - Drivers heated seat not working
2 - Aircon not working
3 - lambda sensor lean EML

I'm hoping to get some help on these 3 issues!

1 - when you turn the drivers heated seat on, the button illuminates for a short time then goes off, it will not illuminate again until the car is turned off and then back on. I can confirm the drivers backrest element failed a continuity check, and the resistance is infinite. I bought a used element, but measuring the resistance of the used element it's is 24 ohms! The base is only 1.9 ohms. Based on this I'm assuming the system will still not function? Can I replace just the back rest with a new alternative part (ref the retrofit posts) or do I need to replace both base and backrest with similar resistance? Other points - seat elements are getting 12v WITHOUT being switched on via the dash, with the ignition on. The passenger seat is the same, but the heated seat functions, so I assume this is correct?

2 - Pressing the Aircon button lights it up, but there is no cold air. The fans do not kick in. An auto electrician identified they can command the fans to come on with Odis, so they assume the air con controller (centre console controls) are defective and need to be replaced - I have since removed and refitted the original incase it was a connector issue, but now do not getting a light when pressing the Aircon button. Would any of the 6c Aircon controllers be suitable? As the part number label has been removed from the current fitted one (says to me someone's been here before!) Would a new one need to be coded to the car? With my OBD11 I get two codes - P069100 & B109EF0.

3 - The car provides fault code P227000, o2 sensor signal stuck lean, bank 1 sensor 2. I have a new lambda to fit, but the auto electrician from point 2 identified the lambda performing as expected, so either the car is lean or there's an exhaust leak. But to add more - the car was previously stage 2 and de-catted and had the lambda mapped out, when the owner returned the car to standard, he refitted the original car and had the lambda mapped back in - apparently. I can't identify an exhaust leak, I can't believe the car is running lean, so am I looking at a defective lambda sensor or a mapped sensor that is expecting more oxygen?

Any help would be much appreciated, as I'm in love with this car, but pulling all my hair out!

Many thanks,
Owen
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: GTI - Aircon, Heated Seat & Lambda issues!

Post by RUM4MO »

For the front seat heating pads resistance, if I were you, I'd check the resistances of the still working passenger side so that you can work out if any of the driver's side heating pads are still okay - I'm saying that as I'm guessing that you are worried that the 1.9ohm seems to be a bit low. I've never measured the resistance of these seat heaters. The issue with +12V being present at all times when the ignition is on might be okay, as maybe it is the 0V that is used to control the heaters - that is only a guess.

AC, first of all, I'd be getting the fridge gas charge checked, ie recovered and weighed and then re-charged, other possible failures could be the system pressure sensor, if the fan has been activated using Odis then at least the fan controller, controller to fan wiring and fan motor are still okay.

I'll not guess at all with respect to the Lambda sensor issues.
Ojs26
New
Drives: 6c gti

Re: GTI - Aircon, Heated Seat & Lambda issues!

Post by Ojs26 »

Thanks RUM4MO!

Regarding the heated seats, I managed to get my hands on a used back rest element, I tried plugging it in and the car didn't like it (heated switch went straight off) turns up the replacement was 26.2 ohms! The base reads 1.6 ohms, having stolen the passenger backrest element that measures 1.8 ohms, it now all works. So I'm hoping I can source another backrest element, but making sure I get a resistance reading before I buy it!

Good point with the Aircon gas - I've found a controller for 30 on eBay, so that's on its way, if I have anymore issues I'll try your suggestions!

Thanks!