Remote buttons on key fob not working.

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Allegedly
New
Drives: VW Polo Sport 1.4 TDI 2004

Remote buttons on key fob not working.

Post by Allegedly »

Hi all,
Rob here, new to the car and site so please bear with me if questions seem a bit basic.
I''ve just bought a 2004 1.4 Polo Sport for my son and am running through any faults evident.
Sorted the rear wiper issue (remains of last wiper arm seized on to the shaft)...had to resort to careful hack-sawing. New arm and blade ordered and a rummage through the shed produced a suitable retaining nut as that was missing too.

Intend to do basic sevice, oil and filters etc and fit new pads and paint the calipers while I'm at it.

However, the next thing I need to tackle is the remote central locking.

The key fob has three buttons, lock, unlock and boot lock. However, none work. The immobiliser lights flashing next to the recessed button on the drivers door top and it unlocks fine using the key in the door barrel.
BTW, I've learnt the hard way that if you don't then put the key into the ignition within about 10 secs, the alarm goes off. New one to me!

The key is the type where you carefully split the blade end away from the 'body' part then ease open the body, exposing the PCB and battery. I've just changed the battery (cr 2032) but still no joy.

Having read various posts on here before posting, the question raised seems to be....does this model actually have remote central locking? A quick google hasn't given the answer so I'm asking the more knowledgeable on here!

If it does, what's the next obvious step? I don't have a second key to try and sync the key fob (if that's the answer!) and don't have a 'reader' to check faults registered.

I drive Land Rover Discoverys' (so obviously I'm used to having to work on my own cars!) so I've never come across this issue. I did once have to change out a remote module on a Disco but not sure about next step on the little Polo.

Any help or advice gratefully received and looking forward to it.

One last thing....it's come with very basic alloys and the finish on them is pretty shot. Does anyone have a 'sharper looking' set of wheels they're selling? Condition isn't too important as I can paint them myself but physically sound ones please with minimum 'dings' and no twists!
Thanks in advance, Cheers Rob