How do you extend alarm time before starting car?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Allegedly
New
Drives: VW Polo Sport 1.4 TDI 2004

How do you extend alarm time before starting car?

Post by Allegedly »

Hi all,

Just bought a 2004 Polo Sport 1.4 Tdi (9n) for my son and among a few other issues I want to sort is the very short period between opening the car using the key in the drivers door (apparently this model does not have remote locking, despite the key fob having buttons for it) and the alarm sounding.
Appears to be less than 10 seconds which, to be fair, is ridiculously short.
Does anyone know how to extend the time before it goes off?
I'm up on the West Coast of the Scottish Highlands so if anyone is near (Fort William/Lochaber area) and knows how to do it, help would be much appreciated.
I do know a guy with a generic 'reader' who may be able to help if he knows what he's looking for/at.
A good site with some knowledgeable people and I think I'm going to have a few more questions as time goes on so thanks for reading and look forward to any guidance.
Cheers
Rob
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Re: How do you extend alarm time before starting car?

Post by CarbonChaos »

Hi Rob,
A few questions first, when you open the drivers door does this turn the interior light on ?
To check this sit in the car unlocked wait for the light to extinguish then open the door.
If this is not working then basically the car is not seeing the door open signal and the alarm may be triggered by the interior sensor before you turn on ignition which will deactivate the alarm.
As far as I’m aware there is no way to extend the time as you requested which would indicate something is not right with the car.
Can you post pictures of the key fob ? There are two types first one has one central button which is basically a light,the second has 3 buttons,lock,unlock and boot opening.
Allegedly
New
Drives: VW Polo Sport 1.4 TDI 2004

Post by Allegedly »

Hi Carbonchaos,

Thanks for the reply.
It's been pishing down here all day (for three weeks) so I've done nothing with the car...I live on the side of a mountain next to Ben Nevis and don't have a garage so I'm a bit dependant on the weather for outside 'stuff'.
Not sure about the interior light but I can confirm the key fob is the three button type, locked, open and boot open. It has a wee red light about mid way on the same side as the buttons that lights when a button is depressed. (This has no effect anyway as it seems car has no remote locking anyway!). New battery installed as well.
I'm at work tomorrow and then driving to Glasvagas for a gig in the afternoon so unlikely to be able to check interior light but I'll try and remember to do it.
The alarm seems to have a weird life of it's own....yesterday, I was trying to reset/synch the key, thinking it would restore the remote locking side of things and tried this process......pressed 'unlock' on the fob, put key in the door lock, then into the ignition quickly.
This obviously didn't restore the non existant remote locking but it did set off the alarm within 10 secs.
Trying again, maybe a bit quicker this time, turned the key and the alarm sounded very, very briefly ( a short blast, maybe half a second ) then stopped and car started.
Went out today to look for paint code and didn't bother with pressing 'unlock', just keyed the door, jumped it and key into ignition and turn. Shortest 'chirp' and dash lit up on first key position.
Seems a real 'drag' if you've got to do this when, say, loading shopping at a supermarket or whathaveyou....
Is this need to put key into ignition immediately after opening, normal for the model before the alarm starts screeching?
Sorry to type an avalanche of questions in reply but it's a learning curve and am genuinely interested in understanding this little runabout.......odd, I appreciate, coming from a Land Rover Discovery driver....for over 20 years on same marque. Courtesy of Landy, I'm now a fair mechanic!!

Regards
Rob
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

So if it’s a 3 button key that would suggest it has remote central locking from factory ( unless someone has coded the wrong type of key?) so just needs to be resynced,this may have to be done with VCDS or similar.

There are plenty of how To’s online give any of them a try