This week driving my Polo (this happened)…..

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

This week driving my Polo (this happened)…..

Post by AndyGTi »

Wasn’t sure quite what to call this topic, so went for above as everyone else can add anything that happens in their own Polo (phantom) Zone.

So, I’m stationary at lights on Nearby town’s ring road….waiting patiently.
Ping…ESC Error pops up. so while I’m looking at that trying to workout why a stationary car would get ESC error…..
Ping Front Assist Unavailable (I also think it was at this point the Exhaust System Fault light came on in bottom right of dash).
Also the car cut out. Well I hope it cut out and wasn’t just Stop/start kicking at most unopportunr moment. Because what follows was a catalogue of disasters….
So stationary car on dual carriageway and the lights had just turned green… I switched off ignition, foot on brake, switched on..nothing
Switched off…foot on brake…switched on…nothing. Tried about another 4/5 times before I thought I had better read the warning message which was flashing up each time I turned key from off to on…
“Engage P before starting vehicle”…..Doh Damn you you DSG gearboxes. Engaged P, switched on… Engine Alive, so slammed it back into D and roared off with angry motorists behind fuming..(sorry if you were there)
I should know that but in heat of moment, thought foot on brake was enough.

Anyway, all the way home the Exhaust System Fault light was on, despite another successful, switch off and switch on (with lever in P)
I left car on drive for a few hours, but when I put it away light still stayed on as I put car in garage. I should also add, no error messages showed on the Car Status Screen, it continued to show green tick “Have a good Journey”
Thursday was going to get car booked in, but never managed it. Took car out last night and started car……light went out. No further light showing during journey and when I returned home. So very pleased and back to happy Polo motoring.

Thought I would share in care anyone has a similar experience.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: This week driving my Polo (this happened)…..

Post by SRGTD »

Never had that happen to me Andy. Like you, I’ve also tried to start my car when the selector level wasn’t in the ‘P’ position. I’d intended to switch off stop / start and pressed the start button in error, so turned off the engine! 😳 🤣. Tried to start it with the selector in the ‘D’ position and it wasn’t having any of that! Operator error on my part and no fault of the car.

The only software-related gremlin I’ve experienced in 26 months of ownership was the clock changing to some random time and the trip recorder zeroing at the same time; only ever happened once and not experienced any other software-related issues.

Hopefully your issue was a one off and your car will behave itself from now on 🤞.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Re: This week driving my Polo (this happened)…..

Post by AndyGTi »

Thanks @SRGTD at least I'm not the only one. Had a few trouble free trips since my Wednesday experience, so all looking good.

Glad your random time reset issue was resolved. Hopefully the cars will all behave themselves now