Polo GTI Facelift - replace dash inserts

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
nicster
New

Polo GTI Facelift - replace dash inserts

Post by nicster »

Hi,

I seem to have just bought a new Facelift GTI. Started off the day thinking I was buying a 3 year old model, and somehow ended up buying new :mrgreen:

I had to select one from current stock and the one I preferred (white with black roof) had the new red gloss dash, which I *really* dislike. The salesperson throughout there may be a possibility of replacing it with the much better grey alternative and is going to confirm tomorrow if that's possible, and what the cost would be.

Would anyone have any insight as to whether it's possible and not crazy expensive?

They did have another one in stock with the grey insert but it was reef blue and I preferred the spec of the white one. Really hoping they'll be able to change it!

TIA : )
Last edited by nicster on Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: Polo GTI Facelift - replace dash inserts

Post by lancslad1985 »

Ah the irony, my current one is reef blue with the red dash and I love the interior. My replacement has the grey dash which I find meh. If you find a way to replace it I’d be interested as I’d like to swap mine.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@nicster; you’d also need to have the gloss red trim around the front door handles and around the centre console changed as well.

Forum member @david.stark looked into changing those parts in their Polo SE back in 2019 and was quoted a crazy high price…….they were quoted a price of around £1,500 😲. Link to the discussion topic below; the sixth post in the discussion topic includes the £1,500 cost (that was the 2019 price). It could the dealer didn’t really want to do the job so they quoted a very high price to deter the customer (and that tactic worked!).

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?t=72839

Would be interesting to hear what price your dealer comes up with. Maybe they’ll do it for free as you’re buying a new car.

Please update this discussion topic when your dealer gets back to you.
nicster
New

Post by nicster »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:21 pm Ah the irony, my current one is reef blue with the red dash and I love the interior. My replacement has the grey dash which I find meh. If you find a way to replace it I’d be interested as I’d like to swap mine.
I'll report back. If it's crazy expensive, maybe we can just swapsies!
nicster
New

Post by nicster »

I'm researching vinyl wraps now as an alternative - might be the best and most reasonably priced solution! Any reason not to do?
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

We all have different likes. Find the grey dull dull dull . Love my red dash, it lifts what is the usual dour VW interior.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

johnpolo2 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:53 am We all have different likes. Find the grey dull dull dull . Love my red dash, it lifts what is the usual dour VW interior.
Indeed we do. I find the gloss red far too ‘in your face’. Maybe I’d have preferred it when I was younger, but not now.

‘Dull’ grey for me.
nicster
New

Post by nicster »

johnpolo2 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:53 am We all have different likes. Find the grey dull dull dull . Love my red dash, it lifts what is the usual dour VW interior.
I actually didn't mind the matt pinky red colour in the pre facelift version but I'm having an allergic reaction to the tone and shiny'ness of the facelift gloss red. Perhaps it didn't help that the test car had the sunroof open so maybe it made it seem worse :?
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

Wrap, then you can have any colour.

Can’t be that hard to take a few trim pieces off?

The whole door card was on and off in 20mins for me yesterday and I have no idea what i was doing.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

nicster wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:56 am
I actually didn't mind the matt pinky red colour in the pre facelift version but I'm having an allergic reaction to the tone and shiny'ness of the facelift gloss red. Perhaps it didn't help that the test car had the sunroof open so maybe it made it seem worse :?
Yes it's all quite marmite.
I had the matt finish in the previous model but now I'm ready for a bit of shine. :lol:
nicster
New

Post by nicster »

By way of update, VW quoted just over £1000 for replacement panels :?

For getting it wrapped somewhere locally, I think it's going to be around the £300 mark. Which still sounds pretty expensive but not something I'm sure I'd feel confident doing myself!