Clock and trip reset itself?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Relay
New
Drives: GTi+

Clock and trip reset itself?

Post by Relay »

Hi All,
Signed up to this forum when I bought a 20 plate GTi+ last month.
Already found a lot of useful stuff in the threads.
Yesterday, I got in the car having not been in it for a day and the clock had reet to 0:00 and the trip had reset to zero.
Date was still spot on.
Anyone else had this issue and is there anything to worry about?

Apart from that, really enjoying the car, it's an auto box, my first auto and previous car was a BMW 320d Efficient Dynamics Sport.

It has got the little binding noise in reverse which I can definitive live with and just put some winter tyres on the front for a bit better traction.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Clock and trip reset itself?

Post by SRGTD »

Had the same happen to me; also a 2020 GTI+. It only once though (I think it was about a couple of years ago), and has never happened again since.
Relay
New

Post by Relay »

Do you think it could have been something like a software update or similar?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

In my case, I don’t think so. I think my car was still running the original software at the time it happened.
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by TheRacingRat »

I used to have this problem continually, after an update in the summer it has been fine.
Relay
New

Post by Relay »

Thanks. I will keep an eye on it.
You know these software updates, how do you manage them? Does it need taking in to a VW garage or something?
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

Welcome to the forum.

I could not help but notice your comment "just put some winter tyres on the front for a bit better traction".
Is that only on the front? As that can be pretty dangerous due to different levels of grip front to back!
Plus if you were unlucky enough to have an accident... I suspect your insurers could well refuse to pay out.

PS. Software updates can be done over the air. You can check on your infotainment system to see if there is anything waiting to install.
I'm assuming this is also the case for the pre face list model.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

MikeDO wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:00 pm PS. Software updates can be done over the air. You can check on your infotainment system to see if there is anything waiting to install.
I'm assuming this is also the case for the pre face list model.
No, no OTA software updates for the pre-facelift model. If there are any software updates, they’re applied the next time the car is at the VW dealership (I think the dealer is meant to check for o/s software updates when a car’s in for servicing).
Relay
New

Post by Relay »

MikeDO wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:00 pm Welcome to the forum.

I could not help but notice your comment "just put some winter tyres on the front for a bit better traction".
Is that only on the front? As that can be pretty dangerous due to different levels of grip front to back!
Plus if you were unlucky enough to have an accident... I suspect your insurers could well refuse to pay out.
Thanks for the welcome.
Yes, only on the front to get drive. Why would it potentially void insurance? It is the same size and type on that axle and same tyre size all round.
Doubt very much there would be any insurance issues as it is a case of having better grip through the front on a FWD rather than the normal tyres.
What if you have different manufacturers tyres on the front that have different ratings for performance than on the rear, there would be no difference.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

Relay wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:31 pm
MikeDO wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:00 pm Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome.
Yes, only on the front to get drive. Why would it potentially void insurance? It is the same size and type on that axle and same tyre size all round.
Doubt very much there would be any insurance issues as it is a case of having better grip through the front on a FWD rather than the normal tyres.
What if you have different manufacturers tyres on the front that have different ratings for performance than on the rear, there would be no difference.
No disrespect intended.

But there is a substantial difference in grip levels between summer and winter tyres.
I certainly would not do it myself.

To quote Michelin:

"You should know that installing snow tyres only on the front 2 wheels of your car can be dangerous. If you are driving on snow or ice, the back half of your vehicle is at risk of drifting. As you accelerate, the back wheels will exacerbate this drift.".

GOOGLE something like "fitting winter tyres just to the front".

As to the Insurance.
Having worked for several myself over the years... I know that they will use pretty much any excuse to dodge a claim.

If you were unlucky enough to have an accident and they deemed that Ill matched tryres were a contributing factor, then that could be your claim down the toilet.

Not trying to funny or anything. Just not something I would personally recommend.

PS. A good example of why not to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5aMnmekA38
Relay
New

Post by Relay »

No offence taken but the guidance is provided by tyre manufacturers or distributors who have a vested interest in fitting all 4 instead of 2.
It is more for local roads and to get up the incline for my street when I get caught out by snow, I don't intend on driving in snow if I can help it and I would always drive according to the conditions.
I think my insurance company is signed up to a scheme where I do not have to declare if I fit winter tyres as they deem them as being safer.
I have emailed them asking if I need to change all 4 or can just change the front 2 so will wait and see. If it's all four, I might just take the winter tyres off because I don't really have enough storage for 4 spare tyres at a time.
Mike222
Getting There!
Drives: Polo gti 2023 face lift Reefblue /black

Post by Mike222 »

Hi , I have had this issue for three years ( since new , car out of warranty now ) . 2020 model gti +
I got the impression that my dealership didn’t believe me when I mentioned it , and they always told me that my car had no outstanding software updates. It has always seemed to happen more when ambient temperature is quite high ( summertime. )
I have got used to it and it no longer bothers me . My car has factory sat nav so the time clock resets itself.
I have tried hard reset of the infotainment system, to no avail .
Relay
New

Post by Relay »

Thanks, yeah it is easy to change back but more annoying than anything. I will see if it happens again.
I don't have the factory sat nav as I just use the android link to use my phone sat nav.
Relay
New

Post by Relay »

Thanks, yeah it is easy to change back but more annoying than anything. I will see if it happens again.
I don't have the factory sat nav as I just use the android link to use my phone sat nav.
Alan_p71
New
Drives: 2019 Gti+

Post by Alan_p71 »

My Polo Gti+ reset the clock and driving data since I picked it up in 2020, I did reply to other people’s post a while back who had the same issue.There is a TPI for this problem that VW know about. The software update was applied to my car this time last year and the problem has never returned.

If the dealers plead ignorance keep annoying them to sort it out. My dealer kept the TPI number close to his chest but he did show me the document so it does exist.
Other than this glitch my car has been perfectly well behaved for nearly 3 years now (touch wood)

Hope you get this annoying problem sorted