Polo GTI 2022 has a shark fin instead of aerial?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
JH96
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Polo GTI 2022 has a shark fin instead of aerial?

Post by JH96 »

:D Hello!
Very new here. My new Polo GTI facelift has been delivered, paperwork to sign and I’m assuming handover for month end. But I’m very curious. I’ve seen the car today, and looking at photos all over the Internet, the GTI Should have an aerial and not a shark fin? But I can confirm mine does indeed have a shark fin? Obviously this is preferred, but I wondered if anyone else has seen one? Pictures will follow once I’ve figured out how to navigate this!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: Polo GTI 2022 has a shark fin instead of aerial?

Post by lancslad1985 »

My car arrived start of last week and has a normal aerial. Like you said, pictures on VW UK show a normal aerial, so not sure why yours has a shark fin unless it’s on during transport to prevent any damage?
JH96
New

Post by JH96 »

It is an odd one. Will check again today to see if I’m going mad and there’s packaging still on it or something. But I had my previous Polo GTI parked next to it side by side and the aerial was something that stood out
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Hi @JH96

I’ve just done a quick Autotrader search and I think perhaps you saw the car before fully prepared and they are still to screw on an aerial to your car.

Andy
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

AndyGTi wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:33 am Hi @JH96

I’ve just done a quick Autotrader search and I think perhaps you saw the car before fully prepared and they are still to screw on an aerial to your car.

Andy
Agree. The aerial base does look a little like a small shark fin before the actual aerial is screwed into it.

I suspect the aerial is fitted to the base either during the PDI or after it’s been carried out.
JH96
New

Post by JH96 »

Hello!
Well yes, didn’t help seeing the car in the dark and it being a black car. But you are correct, it just didn’t have one. Had to get it ordered after… but purchased a 3.5cm aerial as it just looks a lot smarter.
Thank you!
GTIMICK
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by GTIMICK »

Mines a 2022 facelift with an ordinary aerial.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

This is an amusing thread for me..

When I picked test drove my 2019 (used) Polo 1.0 TSi, I too thought it had a shark fin for the aerial.. The radio reception worked fine along with everything else I could try out.

When it came to exchanging my old Polo, a day or two later, I noticed the washed new one ready for pick up. On closer inspection I noticed a thread in the base - (ready to take an aerial?) I mentioned it to the salesman; he promptly went out and nicked one off another car in the compound and installed on mine. Job done! :D

If only life was as simple... 8)