Control-arm bushing

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Re: Control-arm bushing

Post by Bepis »

The Ibiza Cupra LCAs finally arrived and look identical to the polo arms just with the solid rubber rear bush instead of the voided bush that comes from factory.

In the end, I couldn't get the arm back in due to lack of space under the car and not wanting to damage anything I'll be getting them fitted by my mechanic.

Will update on how they feel once fitted.

Quick tip for those looking to do this themselves, get the rear bush aligned and the bolt through before trying to put the bolt in for the front bush, makes installation much easier and stops you stripping the threads on your bolt.

The solid rubber bush is also significantly harder to manipulate in order to get the bolt through so bear that in mind.

The original bush with 57K on it didn't look too great :shock:

Part numbers:
Ibiza cupra LCA
Lemforder 42651 01 (Right)
Lemforder 42650 01 (Left)

LCA bolt front x2: N 106 405 01
LCA bolt rear x2: N 105 524 02
LCA nut rear x2: N 015 081 6
Ball joint nuts x6: N 103 320 02
Attachments
CUPRA LCA.jpg
CUPRA LCA.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1431 times
LCA bush.jpg
LCA bush.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1431 times
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

put the jack under the brake disc. and jack up. This will allow.you to slide the control arm in the subframe easily.
Then but the nut with bolt, then slide in the small bushing into the subframe.

Idk just follow my post and it will be easy. If i did it on a parking lot with stock car jack and jack stand you can too
Bobupndown
New
Drives: None

Post by Bobupndown »

Did these bushes today. Used the solid Audi TT type.
Old ones were in bad state, especially drivers side on which the rubber was almost totally detached from the metal ring. With the arm out of the car I was able to remove the rubber by hand!. :shock:
Didn't have a bush removal or fitting tool but made one with flat steel, threaded rod and an old bearing outer race with help of the mig welder. Hopefully that will have cured the suspension clunk from the drivers side.
20230122_145048.jpg
20230122_145048.jpg (3.34 MiB) Viewed 1355 times
20230122_113834.jpg
20230122_113834.jpg (3.83 MiB) Viewed 1355 times
20230122_143742.jpg
20230122_143742.jpg (3.13 MiB) Viewed 1355 times
Last edited by Bobupndown on Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

Bobupndown wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:12 pm Did these bushes today. Used the solid Audi TT type.
Old ones were in bad state, especially drivers side on which the rubber was almost totally detached from the metal ring. With the arm out of the car I was able to remove the rubber by hand!. :shock:
Didn't have a bush removal or fitting tool but made one with flat steel, threaded rod and an old bearing outer race with help of the mig welder. Hopefully that will have cured the suspension clunk from the drivers side. (If I could figure out how to add photos I'd share some).
Any difference in feel with the solid bushes?

Also, you add pictures via the attachment tab just under the text box :)
Attachments
Attachment.JPG
Attachment.JPG (64.13 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
Bobupndown
New

Post by Bobupndown »

Thanks. Images added.
Didn't actually drive it after I finished but its gonna be a big improvement given the state of the old ones.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

Love the tool, thumbs up
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

+1

...although I also think it's worth installing the completely new control arms.
Bobupndown
New

Post by Bobupndown »

ciclo wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:10 am +1

I considered new arms but the front bush is fine on both of them, as is the ball joint. The arms aren't rusty or in need of physical replacement.
The 2 Febi bushes were only £13. New arms would be £80+. I think this was the sensible option on this occasion. If need done again in a few years time I'll put new arms on to refresh the front bush and ball joint.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

Why? its tick steel. I wouldn't trash them if they arent bent/ damaged in collision. Rust? just give them a lick of paint.

The small bushes are Easley replaced.
Once you aqquire the tool, or make it next time its faster and easier to do.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I've always worried that if I bought in Cupra etc lower arms, they might be slightly different to the lower powered car's ones, and that would be due to the Cupra etc having lower springs and so needing a slightly different length of lower arms to keep the camber correct.

That was the very reason that I just got Cupra bushes fitted to the original arms on my wife's 2002 Polo 1.4 16V 75PS back in 2004/2005,okay a slightly different design of lower track control arm, but I'm sure that at that time, the performance versions of Polo/Fabia/Ibiza did get a slightly maybe shorter lower arm, which would mean, if used with normal springs, that the camber was out of spec, though correct if shortened spring were fitted along with these "other" lower arms.

Good DIYer tool though, good to see somewhere to use up the Copper Grease! I must have the original VW Group assembly grease that was provided to assist in pressing aluminium sheathed/skinned bushes into aluminium consoles - so that should work okay for helping to press these Audi Mk TT bushes into the steel lower arms - if and when the time comes on my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Bobupndown wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:54 am
ciclo wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:10 am +1

I considered new arms but the front bush is fine on both of them, as is the ball joint. The arms aren't rusty or in need of physical replacement.
The 2 Febi bushes were only £13. New arms would be £80+. I think this was the sensible option on this occasion. If need done again in a few years time I'll put new arms on to refresh the front bush and ball joint.
I'd expect that these solid bushes would last for many years, the solid Cupra bushes that I got fitted to my wife's 2002 Polo 1.4 16v 75PS, in 2005/2006 were still in "as new" condition when that car was traded in in 2015 - okay a different lower arm design, but a design more prone to ending up destroying its rear bush.

I'd be interested to hear what you now think about the general feel of the front end after fitting these solid rear bushes, doing that job made a big improvement to that 2002 Polo, even if you forget about just fixing a torn bush. Turn in became extremely accurate for the first time and remained like that for "ever".
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

Gotta love ebay purchases...

Ordered set of these bushes off eBay from Poland.
Got a tracking number.
Watched for a month as the tracking did not update. Turns out seller logged the parcel with the post office, then never sent.

At least I got a refund. Purchasing another set from somewhere will have to wait a few weeks.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

2226 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:02 pm Gotta love ebay purchases...

Ordered set of these bushes off eBay from Poland.
Got a tracking number.
Watched for a month as the tracking did not update. Turns out seller logged the parcel with the post office, then never sent.

At least I got a refund. Purchasing another set from somewhere will have to wait a few weeks.
If you dont mind the a little bit of extra road noise get the psb polyurethane ones like me. 18 gpb+ shipping.
- more precise on turn in
-less wheel hop
-little bit more stable under breaking
- bit less body roll
-feels more planted in corner and the weels feel like more connected to the car

negatives:
- bit firmer ride like 5-10%
a bit harsher over the bumps ( like dull sound comes into the cabin over larger potholes)

If you dont mind spending like 10£/ 10 EUR change the anti roll bar bushes. Its easy.
Like i did control arm bushings, and anti roll bar and it behaves like a completely new car. Much more precise, and confidence inspiring in the corners ( maybe even too much, hahahah understeer caution 😂).

+ Guys shipped the order the same day i ordered! They were super nice, I asked for the sticker but they didn't have any on their hands and hand wrote a note and added it in the package. Really nice touch.

https://psbushings.co.uk/
ForumsSurgery23 promo code
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Might be an option. Can get similar here. Although those 2-piece bushings seem like they'd be less harsh than the local ones.

Just not sure I'd like to go poly again.
Had poly mounts on my mk1.

I'll try and order a set of the solid rubber ones again. Just the year is starting a little bad here.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

I just found this:

https://psbushings.co.za/polo/

This looks to be the same company as PSB UK.
Logo, etc, all the same.

But they show very different bushings:

UK: https://psbushings.co.uk/wp-content/upl ... -v2-01.jpg
ZA: https://psbushings.co.za/wp-content/upl ... /734-1.jpg
and
https://psbushings.co.za/wp-content/upl ... shings.jpg

The PSB734 is very different.
That PSB701 on the ZA site is the same as shown for the PSB734 on the UK site.
Very confusing.

@amer6R what did your bushings look like?

I'd be more keen on the 2-piece design which would allow more travel. I've ripped poly before in my mk1.

Edit: looking at PSB UK they have the PSB701 listed for the TT mk3, but wouldn't that actually mean they'd fit the 6C as well? I mean, we're swapping the split rubber mounts on the 6C for those from the TT anyway.