Control-arm bushing

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Control-arm bushing

Post by RUM4MO »

No, the early Audi TT used this type of bonded mounting, later ones, at least the 2009 model that I checked just, has moved onto something that looks a bit like the 9N type of "bush in a console", which is same for same age Golf etc.
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:18 pm No, the early Audi TT used this type of bonded mounting, later ones, at least the 2009 model that I checked just, has moved onto something that looks a bit like the 9N type of "bush in a console", which is same for same age Golf etc.
The TT 8J (mk2) had that rear mount block for the bushing. From what I can tell the mk1 (8N) and mk3 (8S) seem to have similar bushing to these Polo ones.

I'm waiting for PSB to let me know what the deal is with the part numbering between sites.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

yes, iichel confirmed to me way back that mk1 tt uses a full rubber control arm bushing. These are made by Lemforder, but I haven't read great user experience in term of longevity. That's why I recommended to you meyle hd.

Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

amer6R wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:25 pm yes, iichel confirmed to me way back that mk1 tt uses a full rubber control arm bushing. These are made by Lemforder, but I haven't read great user experience in term of longevity. That's why I recommended to you meyle hd.

I'm interested in which PSB bushing model you purchased.
Do you recall the part number?
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

[
IMG_ 20221212_085427_2.jpg
IMG_ 20221212_085427_2.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 1121 times
PSB 734K

Total for me was 25.62£ with shipping
https://psbushings.co.uk/product/2-x-vw ... 0-to-2014/

It comes with 2x grease packs. In each of them there is more than enough grease ( its silicone paste/ grease)

The Lemforder were the two small bushings - Cost 11 Eur

Ps: I see you are from same place of origin where they are made maybe you could source them even cheaper or with free shipping...
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Thank you.

Yes, they're from South Africa, but their local site shows a very different mount for part PSB734. I like the idea of the 2-piece mount for movement as I've found other solid poly mounts start to crack, but then again those were probably cheaply made.

Have sent them a message. Replies are done on Africa Time so might be a while. But I also have this thing called "a phone" and you speak to people with it. Such a rare thing to do these days. :D
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

2226 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:30 am Thank you.

Yes, they're from South Africa, but their local site shows a very different mount for part PSB734. I like the idea of the 2-piece mount for movement as I've found other solid poly mounts start to crack, but then again those were probably cheaply made.

Have sent them a message. Replies are done on Africa Time so might be a while. But I also have this thing called "a phone" and you speak to people with it. Such a rare thing to do these days. :D
Mine is this one
https://psbushings.co.za/audi-a1/
Audi A1- (10-18) Front arm rear mount

https://psbushings.co.za/ibiza/
Front lower arm rear bush – PSB 734

Same as for MK4 ibiza

The one for the 6r polo on their site is yellow and solid. ( they the same part number)

They state "Lifetime Warranty"
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

Ibiza Cupra LCA's fitted (solid rubber rear bush) and so far so good.

Only managed to put around 60 miles on them today so will update if anything changes with time.

Cons:
Bumps in general feel more severe but not harsh.
Shock loads like cat's eyes, potholes, sunken manholes and short sharp speed bumps are much more noticeable
Maybe a tiny increase in general NVH will have to give it some time

Pros:
Much quicker steering response
Less time taken to "load up" in high-speed corners
Car feels more surefooted in corners, especially when pushing on
Hard braking feels overall improved with less fishtailing at "motorway speeds" :wink:
It feels as though less steering input is needed to get the same amount of turning compared to before

These are all subjective so take them as you wish.
morbid80
New
Drives: polo gti

Post by morbid80 »

I am planning to diy this on my own too.for installing the large bush,can i know exactly the size of the socket needed to press the bush?from what i read the socket has to be exactly align to the metal ring of the bush to avoid damage to rubber
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Time is approaching for me to put into practice what I've "collected" by reading up on this, okay maybe I'll need to refresh my memory as it is so long since I thought that I'd end up needing to do this job.

My wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS 6MT, it started making suspension noises when it was just under 3 years old, while I was checking this car over prior to booking it in for warranty repair, I noticed that when checking the lower visible part of the rear mounting bush rubber on the Left hand side of the car, the voided rubber was tearing - so I included that fact when I booked the car in for that "suspension noise" repair - though I'm sure that that was nothing to do with the noises that I was reporting, anyway that mounting bush got replaced at lets say 3 years and 25,000miles.
That car has started to make new suspension clunking noises again - from the front right hand side, so I drove it up onto my wooden ramps and checked things over, nothing obviously wrong as far as I could see. So I prepared for needing to replace the right hand side top mounting and top bearing, or probably hit this area once and replace the top mounting and bearing on both sides to avoid revisiting this area - though I'm sure, going by my luck, one of the road springs will break soon, as the car is just 8 years old and has run 45,000miles!
So, that changed my plan to holding off on going straight onto replacing the top mountings and top bearing, and onto trying replacing the ARB drop links first as I had a pair of new droplinks that I didn't need to use when repairing my older daughter's SEAT Ibiza 5 years ago. So, I lifted the car up onto my 4 jack stands and removed the front wheels prior to replacing the ARB droplinks - but gave the under side of the car a good looking over while it was up in the air - ah, the top of the right hand side rear mounting has separated from the bonded rubber insert!
So now it is time to work out which way to deal with this problem, years ago I bought a kit of bits for replacing this rear mounting, so the obvious and cheapest thing to do is to buy a pair of Lemforder standard rear mounting bushes, and replace just them, as opposed to buy new lower arms (without balljoints) - well as long as things go to plan!

GSF have an "amazing sale" on right now, 65% off lower arms, if I weakened and bought from them I'd be buying the Delphi branded ones, are Delphi a "good enough" brand for these lower arms?

Edit:- I think for me, as this right hand side rear mounting lasted 8 years and 45,000miles, replacing with the standard rear mounting bush is the way to go as the "feel" of this car is good when compared with the old 2002 VW Polo, fear of harshness being introduced is also concerning me if I stuck with my original plan to only ever replace these rear mounts with solid ones. I can see that fitting the solid version is a no brainer for lucky people that have GTIs though.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

A whole arm seems a waste. I'd just get the bushing replaced.
But if the price is right then probably much less pain to do the whole arm.
Can't comment on whether Delphi arms would be good. Don't get those here.

I've never really paid attention to the droplink bushings. What signs do you have that they might need replacing? I can see little clean spot next my droplink bushings, but I assume those to be normal.

And regarding bushing, what a nightmare I'm having getting a pair of solid ones!
Decided to not get the poly ones.
Last December, made first order off ebay from Poland ... never got shipped. Got a refund.
Back in June, made second order off ebay from UK ... no idea where it went. Untracked parcel, but seller has some history of not sending. Now I have a parcel number all of a sudden, but not showing up in the system. To make matters my local post office branch has shut down (I think they didn't pay their rent :? ).

ebay has really become a pit.

Just trying to get my money back and I'll order from ECS in the USA instead and use my aramex forwarding address.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

If ur going to do it without an impact tool, get a piece of pipe as an extension. Also you can rest the wrench on the chassis leg just wrap it i towel so it doesn't mar the anti gravel.

You can get the mk1 tt solid ones oem if you want to go that route.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

amer6R wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm If ur going to do it without an impact tool, get a piece of pipe as an extension. Also you can rest the wrench on the chassis leg just wrap it i towel so it doesn't mar the anti gravel.

You can get the mk1 tt solid ones oem if you want to go that route.
One question, did you need to raise the engine up slightly so that you could get the long bolt out of the right hand side?

I read online that you need to do that and just release the nut on the top of the bonded engine mounting - then I checked up on the parts listing, just in case I should need to replace that nut - it is not listed, the complete bonded engine mounting and alloy engine carrier are sold as a single part - so maybe removing that nut is a bad idea and either removing and fitting, new bolts either at the alloy engine carrier end or the bonded engine mounting end - where it connects to the car's frame is a better plan.

I agree about just getting the solid VW Group version either from one of the MK1 Audi TTs or a same age Golf R32, the part number is 8N0 407 181B .

I've only had 2 problems with ebay recently, the first was when I ordered Haldex fluid being sold very cheaply for my older daughter's SEAT Leon Cupra - from a seller in UK to me in UK, they used one of these really cheap parcel carriers, I've forgotten the name, after a month and using tracking, nothing turned up, it seemed to get "stuck" at a logistics hub, the seller showed no interest in doing anything, so I contacted the carrier and unusually, as I was not the sender, they replied and said that they would start a search and report back, after a few days they did report back and said that it was lost and my supplier should apply for compensation for that lose, I informed my supplier and they did nothing except refund my money. After another month, I found another seller selling that fluid at a good price so bought it and it was quickly delivered. After another month, that first seller told me that the parcel had been found and that it would be delivered within a few days, I also had been checking back on it as it seemed like it was moving around the UK very slowly again, it did stop moving again for 2 weeks then got delivered to me. Okay I was annoyed, but I felt slightly guilty about "getting something for nothing" - even although I really didn't have any use for it now as that fluid has a short shelf life as well as short service life, such is life on ebay!

In UK we can complain all we want about about things getting lost but, my preferred parcel carrier is Royal Mail allows for tracking but most of the time it is not updated, I think that Royal Mail needs to update itself, it can be trusted to deliver, but modern ways of keeping the customer happy has not yet got through to how they operate, just stupid really!
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

I have a 1.6 TDI, no i didnt have to raise the engine nor the transmision to pull the bolt out. I think older polos had this issue and mk7 golf. But not polo 6R/6C all good.

Id recommend if the dealer isnt close to get a set of bolts and nuts for the control arms.
Mine one side had damaged thread and i had to go to the dealer to get one... pain in ass and loosing time. the set for two sides ~ 12 -15 Euros if i remember.

other than that they were in good condition/ thread didnt strech.

I put some grease when I tighten everything ( outside) to help with corrosion for the nex guy down the road.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, I'll be buying in a set of new bolts, as I usually do - as you say, to avoid needing to stop and get to a dealer for parts, also, in case some are "torque to yield".

In the "garage trade" pages that I read about needing to raise the engine slightly, the picture of the engine was one that had a deep steel sump, so maybe as my wife's Polo has an alloy sump, that engine installation was planned to avoid the need to raise the engine slightly. So maybe only older engines like the 1.4 86PS petrol engine need to be raised slightly.

If I had known about this yesterday, I could have checked while that car was up on stands, but I didn't until late last night, so I had to ask the question.