sounds like rattle high revs gti, but not in normal sound mode

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

sounds like rattle high revs gti, but not in normal sound mode

Post by LEEA123 »

Hi all, a question. I have got some miles on the car now, so have done some spirited driving, keeping in the speed limit. Have been getting a kind of rattling noise when revs go above 4k and accelerating in a spirited way. I have the sport sound on when it does this. If I change the sound to normal I do not really get it at all.

I thought it was a kind of dash rattle or something at first, but changing from sport sound mode to normal sound mode basically makes the sound go away. As far as I know, the sound it produces in these modes comes through the speakers, and it makes fake noise in a way. So could you think it could be a defective speaker just giving this noise at a certain rev range? As I can not explain, any other reason why it goes from changing from sport sound to normal?
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: sounds like rattle high revs gti, but not in normal sound mode

Post by OomStu_ZA »

HI LEEA123

I had the same issue with my vehicle so the VW techs disabled the sound actuator installed behind the dash. Problem solved.
LEEA123
Getting There!

Post by LEEA123 »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:38 pm HI LEEA123

I had the same issue with my vehicle so the VW techs disabled the sound actuator installed behind the dash. Problem solved.
Thank you very much for the reply , appreciate it
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

A common issue with the soundaktor - not just in the Polo GTI but lots of Golf GTI and R owners have also had the issue you describe.

You’ve found a solution by not having the engine sound in Sport. I personally really dislike the fake engine sound so I set it to whatever the lowest setting is (Eco?) on the first day I owned my car and my be never had an issue with it rattling or vibrating.
LEEA123
Getting There!

Post by LEEA123 »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:45 pm A common issue with the soundaktor - not just in the Polo GTI but lots of Golf GTI and R owners have also had the issue you describe.

You’ve found a solution by not having the engine sound in Sport. I personally really dislike the fake engine sound so I set it to whatever the lowest setting is (Eco?) on the first day I owned my car and my be never had an issue with it rattling or vibrating.
thanks will set it too eco and try, appreciate the time
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

The way I get round this is I set everything in individual mode to sport and then turn engine noise to eco, as SRGTD says. Then you get the benefit of sport mode without the stupid rattling.