Alarm goes off in high winds / rain

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Alarm goes off in high winds / rain

Post by MikeDO »

I've had the car alarm go off a couple of times now in high winds / heavy rain. And get the following message from we Connect:

We wish to inform you that your online Anti-Theft Alarm detected activity in the interior of your vehicle ....

Both times I've gone back to the car and can see noting inside the car that could have set it off!

Anyone else experienced this?
If so, is there a way to lower the sensitivity of the interior alarm?

PS. The car is usually garaged over night and never had an issue when its under cover.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: Alarm goes off in high winds / rain

Post by lancslad1985 »

My wife’s had the last few polo generations and this has been an issue for a while. I set it off scraping the ice off her windscreen the other week.
Metman888
New
Drives: 2022 Polo GTi

Post by Metman888 »

I've had exactly the same thing happen at least twice, always in heavy rain. I've just put it down to the alarm being a bit sensitive.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

For anyone with this issue it’d be worth mentioning this to your dealer(s). There was a software fix for the same / similar issue with the mk8 Golf (see posts at link below). If VW are aware and if it’s considered to be a software issue, they may develop a similar fix. However, they won’t be able to do this if they’ve not been told about it.

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.ph ... msg2652395
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

Thanks guys.

Nice to hear its not just me.
The car is only ever left outside if going somewhere (retired ... sort of), otherwise it's always garaged and never been a problem then. I'll just disable it via the infotainment system in similar weather conditions if parked outside.
I have read (don't know how true this is) but the dealer is supposed to be able to adjust the sensitivity of the interior motion detector/s.
I'd speak to the dealer but its a 120+ mile round trip. Unless it gets worse (hopefully not) then I'll just mention it when it gets its first service next September.

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone.
Polo72
New
Drives: Polo Life 1.0 Tsi

Post by Polo72 »

I had this exact same thing 1am this morning it was blowing and raining and I got rudely woken to my phone going mad saying my car has activity inside so I did the usual lock and unlock and went back to bed. Checked camera no activity. Glad to hear I’m not the only one. I might mention it to the dealer when I next pass see if there interested.
CLIFFORD2K1
New
Drives: 1.0 115 sel dsg

Post by CLIFFORD2K1 »

I’ve had this last few wks too. Anyone been to dealership?
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

It’s been an issue on ever polo we’ve had. My wife has had every gen of polo since 2014 and they’ve all done it, so just put it down to oversensitive alarms.
arkay
New
Drives: Polo Life DSG (95 PS) in Stormy Grey

Post by arkay »

Just a point of info on this: if you do a quick double press of the lock button on your remote it disables the internal monitoring of the car. This is really useful on ferry trips to save the alarm going off as the ship bobs about. Sorry, lots of you will know that but in case you don’t it is helpful to know - it saves a lot of faffing about switching internal monitoring off via the infotainment.
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

arkay wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:01 pm Just a point of info on this: if you do a quick double press of the lock button on your remote it disables the internal monitoring of the car. This is really useful on ferry trips to save the alarm going off as the ship bobs about. Sorry, lots of you will know that but in case you don’t it is helpful to know - it saves a lot of faffing about switching internal monitoring off via the infotainment.
Was not aware of this myself. So thanks for sharing :)
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

MikeDO wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:20 pm
arkay wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:01 pm Just a point of info on this: if you do a quick double press of the lock button on your remote it disables the internal monitoring of the car. This is really useful on ferry trips to save the alarm going off as the ship bobs about. Sorry, lots of you will know that but in case you don’t it is helpful to know - it saves a lot of faffing about switching internal monitoring off via the infotainment.
Was not aware of this myself. So thanks for sharing :)
The quick double press of the lock button on the key fob also disables the deadlocking (Safelock), so be aware that deadlocking won’t be activated if you switch off internal monitoring using this method (deadlocking the car may be important to you, depending on where your car is parked).

From the owners manual;

The SAFELOCK can be deactivated in one of the following ways:
  • Press the button on the vehicle key again within 2 seconds.
  • In vehicles with keyless locking and starting system: touch the sensor surface on the outside of the door handle again within 2 seconds.
  • Switch on the ignition.
  • OR: deactivate the interior monitor and the anti-tow alarm.

Depending on the equipment level, temporarily deactivate the interior monitoring and the anti-tow alarm in the Vehicle Settings menu in the Infotainment system before locking the vehicle Interior monitoring system and anti-tow alarm.

There may be an indication of the activated SAFELOCK in the display of the instrument cluster.
The following applies when SAFELOCK is deactivated:
  • The vehicle can be unlocked and opened from the inside using the door release lever.
  • The anti-theft alarm is active Anti-theft alarm.
  • The interior monitoring and anti-tow alarm are deactivated Interior monitoring system and anti-tow alarm.