ABS sensor ring

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
keiko909
New
Drives: Polo TSI

ABS sensor ring

Post by keiko909 »

Hi all

On the polo 6R, the ABS sensor is located on the front wheel bearing.
Is there a way to remove the ABS ring or does the entire wheel bearing have to be replaced?

Thanks
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: ABS sensor ring

Post by iichel »

You'll need to replace the entire bearing.
keiko909
New

Post by keiko909 »

iichel wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:55 pm You'll need to replace the entire bearing.
Thanks iichel. I'm curious. that being the case, why do vendors sell the sensor ring by itself?
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I don't know. On the Polo 6R the ring is a magnetic part that's integrated into the hub. Perhaps it's a separate part on other cars though.
keiko909
New

Post by keiko909 »

iichel wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:30 pm I don't know. On the Polo 6R the ring is a magnetic part that's integrated into the hub. Perhaps it's a separate part on other cars though.
i'll take a look. if i do have to replace the entire bearing, would it be the 72mm bearing puller that I would need?
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

keiko909 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:47 am
iichel wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:30 pm I don't know. On the Polo 6R the ring is a magnetic part that's integrated into the hub. Perhaps it's a separate part on other cars though.
i'll take a look. if i do have to replace the entire bearing, would it be the 72mm bearing puller that I would need?
Yes it is the 72mm Gen2 bearing puller kit that you need to replace a front wheel bearing - due to the retaining ring being destroyed when you remove it, you can not reuse a fitted Gen2 front wheel bearing assembly.

I deepened and widened the slot or cut out on the removal and fitting rear plate, doing that should improve your chances of not wrecking the ABS sensor, I did end up wrecking the ABS sensor on one side. I seem to remember that VW Group tend to imply that the front ABS sensors will always get wrecked/broken when replacing a front wheel bearing assembly.
For some stupid maybe reason, I aimed at buying a Bosch replacement from ECP, I thought that the original ABS sensor would be Bosch as the ABS system controller/block is Bosch, I was wrong, the original ABS sensor was ATE but that car had ATE front brakes.

Edit:- one of the problems with the ABS sensors is, they are plastic and their body is "waisted" along its length, so rust builds up to fill all the waisted areas, and that makes it tricky to remove them before removing the bearing assembly.

Can I ask why you were planning to replace the ABS ring on the hub? As said it does not exist it is part of the bearing. Also, has this car still got its original front wheel bearing assemblies on it, some people/workshops, make a mess of replacing these front wheel bearing assemblies, and when the car is used after this bearing change, the incorrectly bearing tends to "walk out" of its location in the hub carrier and the first that you might known about this is you start to get ABS errors due to the magnetic ring now being too far away from the ABS sensor?
keiko909
New

Post by keiko909 »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:24 pm
keiko909 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:47 am
Yes it is the 72mm Gen2 bearing puller kit that you need to replace a front wheel bearing - due to the retaining ring being destroyed when you remove it, you can not reuse a fitted Gen2 front wheel bearing assembly.

I deepened and widened the slot or cut out on the removal and fitting rear plate, doing that should improve your chances of not wrecking the ABS sensor, I did end up wrecking the ABS sensor on one side. I seem to remember that VW Group tend to imply that the front ABS sensors will always get wrecked/broken when replacing a front wheel bearing assembly.
For some stupid maybe reason, I aimed at buying a Bosch replacement from ECP, I thought that the original ABS sensor would be Bosch as the ABS system controller/block is Bosch, I was wrong, the original ABS sensor was ATE but that car had ATE front brakes.

Edit:- one of the problems with the ABS sensors is, they are plastic and their body is "waisted" along its length, so rust builds up to fill all the waisted areas, and that makes it tricky to remove them before removing the bearing assembly.

Can I ask why you were planning to replace the ABS ring on the hub? As said it does not exist it is part of the bearing. Also, has this car still got its original front wheel bearing assemblies on it, some people/workshops, make a mess of replacing these front wheel bearing assemblies, and when the car is used after this bearing change, the incorrectly bearing tends to "walk out" of its location in the hub carrier and the first that you might known about this is you start to get ABS errors due to the magnetic ring now being too far away from the ABS sensor?
i'm planning to replace the entire bearing, hence asking what kind of puller i needed (the ring is part of the bearing, like you and iichel said).
i am getting an ABS error. i have already replaced the sensor (it was a fun job), and reset the error code VCDS. but the error has come back.
on researching the error i got, it points to the magnetic ring for the sensor, hence me wanting to change the bearing.
out of curiosity, how do people manage to mess up a bearing replacement?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

keiko909 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:20 pm
i'm planning to replace the entire bearing, hence asking what kind of puller i needed (the ring is part of the bearing, like you and iichel said).
i am getting an ABS error. i have already replaced the sensor (it was a fun job), and reset the error code VCDS. but the error has come back.
on researching the error i got, it points to the magnetic ring for the sensor, hence me wanting to change the bearing.
Well, it seems that some workshops originally thought that this "Gen2 needs suitable tools" was a load of nonsense, and just used "traditional" method for getting the bearing assemblies out and new ones in, and that could lead to the bearing not been pushed into a cleaned out hub carrier and so the bearing might end up moving back out of the hub carrier.

I'm hoping that you have checked that this is not the issue in your case, ie the hub is still sitting in the correct position in the hub carrier on both sides - but in reality, none of that matters if you are going to replace the front bearing assembly, though it does if the problem exists elsewhere on the car!

I bought a cheap China made copy kit, but to make sure that I was not left in trouble if the "pegs" broke/bent when drawing the bearings out, I bought a set of 5 replacement pegs made for the Sealey equivalent kit - so I can't comment about the quality of these pegs on the China made copy kit.

I think that the issue with the righthand side wheel bearing on my wife's August 2015 Polo 6C at 35K miles, was moisture getting into the bearing assembly, and degrading the bearing to the point that it was becoming slightly noisy - I did replace the lefthand side as well and it seems to be okay, but initially I had no idea which side was making that noise. The inner area of the hub carrier on the righthand side, ie offside in UK, was a lot more corroded than the nearside was, I had to clean that area out with a small pick/chisel before the removal rear plate could be correctly located against the inner face of the bearing assembly.
keiko909
New

Post by keiko909 »

RUM4MO wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:20 pm
keiko909 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:20 pm
Well, it seems that some workshops originally thought that this "Gen2 needs suitable tools" was a load of nonsense, and just used "traditional" method for getting the bearing assemblies out and new ones in, and that could lead to the bearing not been pushed into a cleaned out hub carrier and so the bearing might end up moving back out of the hub carrier.

I'm hoping that you have checked that this is not the issue in your case, ie the hub is still sitting in the correct position in the hub carrier on both sides - but in reality, none of that matters if you are going to replace the front bearing assembly, though it does if the problem exists elsewhere on the car!

I bought a cheap China made copy kit, but to make sure that I was not left in trouble if the "pegs" broke/bent when drawing the bearings out, I bought a set of 5 replacement pegs made for the Sealey equivalent kit - so I can't comment about the quality of these pegs on the China made copy kit.

I think that the issue with the righthand side wheel bearing on my wife's August 2015 Polo 6C at 35K miles, was moisture getting into the bearing assembly, and degrading the bearing to the point that it was becoming slightly noisy - I did replace the lefthand side as well and it seems to be okay, but initially I had no idea which side was making that noise. The inner area of the hub carrier on the righthand side, ie offside in UK, was a lot more corroded than the nearside was, I had to clean that area out with a small pick/chisel before the removal rear plate could be correctly located against the inner face of the bearing assembly.
do you mean "traditional methods" as in hammering the bearing out? seems like a silly thing to do as the bearing is jammed in pretty firm.
i am also unsure how the bearing could move out of position as at the bottom of the race, there is a hook ring which holds the bearing in place. there is also a nut at the end of the bearing.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Fair enough, but I don't think that you have worked out just how the nut holding the drive shaft into the hub is going to stop the bearing escaping from the hub carrier, the brake calliper mounting bracket will be what will stop things leaving the car completely.

Edit:- I think that the latest evolution of at least the SKF version, has no locking ring, one reason why I avoided buying that version and went for F A G version, though I'm sure SKF will have their reasons for doing it that way.
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Interesting and educational conversation.👌

I just wanted to illustrate it with this nice video.
VAG - Volkswagen Polo - Front Wheelbearing / Wheelhub replacement
Sorry for my intrusion.🙏
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, I watched maybe 4 or 5 of these videos a few times before ordering anything.

I was put off slightly by the fact that this proper mechanic was using a 78mm size of kit, that and along with most of the cheaper made in China kits saying that they were for use on earlier cars from VW Group and not for 6R and 6C. Along with, at the time that I was checking for common use of the bearing assemblies, that the UK based sellers like GFS and ECP did not list a bearing assembly kit for this age of car, initially a bit confusing!

Once I had checked up on the online VW Group part listings, I found that the bearing was used on all ages of Polo from late 2001, so that gave me hope that I was buying the correct bearing removal kit.

One other thing with at least the 6C Polo with the 288mm front discs is, access to one of the disc back plate securing screws is partially blocked by the hub face, and that bolt was a bit tricky to break free, so I replaced that one on both sides as the Torx head was damaged.
Carnmiester
New
Drives: 1.2 6n

Post by Carnmiester »

Hey guys,

Just replaced both front bearings (2007 1.2 polo) and abs fault no Speedo, just seeing that it’s compulsory to change the wheel speed sensor??? Is that right?
Carnmiester
New
Drives: 1.2 6n

Post by Carnmiester »

Hey guys,

Just replaced both front bearings (2007 1.2 polo) and abs fault no Speedo, just seeing that it’s compulsory to change the wheel speed sensor??? Is that right?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, I'm afraid so, I managed to get away without damaging the LHS ABS sensor, but the Gen2 bearing removal tool rear part caught the RHS ABS sensor and tilted it over cracking the casing - so while the bearing was out, I removed that and fitted a new one.

Edit:- I used a 10mm drill bit to clean the hole the ABS sensor fits down into, I'm guessing that you might need to remove the drive shafts from the hubs to get all of the ABS sensor bits out, and so another couple of drive shaft nuts if the locking tangs break off during removal.

Another Edit:- I'm guessing that you did buy bearings that had built in magnetic rings for the ABS sensor?

Edited again as I spotted that I wrote "Anorger Edit" instead of "Another Edit" !!
Last edited by RUM4MO on Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.