polo 6r goes left

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
atopman
New
Drives: polo 6r

polo 6r goes left

Post by atopman »

Hi, had a recent MOT, there was actually nothing wrong with the car it was driving perfect and straight, but the garage said the front right inner tie rod end needed changing as he claimed there was excesssive play. I disagreed as the car drive perfect, and the 'play' was not visible to me. It was the bit that joins the steering rack like this
inner tie rod end.jpg
inner tie rod end.jpg (12.55 KiB) Viewed 925 times

Right after the MOT the car now had a fault, was now worse than before MOT, and drove to the left, and i got front wheel alignment. But the car still drove to the left, and i paid twice to get it tracked, but it still did it, and was never resolved.
I was busy and let it slide. Now the driver front tyre which was quite good before, is now worn on the inside.
I had also noticed some type of creaking and clunking especially on bumps, so i checked and couldnt see anything wrong. I suspected that something hadnt been tightened ?

The only thing i did was adjust the right track rod half a turn towards toe out. It seemed to improve slightly.
Sometimes usually on motorway, it seems? to drive straight for a very short time, im not sure but it seems after i wiggled the steering a bit.
I feel the mechanic didnt tightem the tie rod ball end properly, or didnt put something else back properly.

Any ideas please?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: polo 6r goes left

Post by iichel »

So did they change the tie rod?
atopman
New

Post by atopman »

iichel wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:53 pm So did they change the tie rod?
yes, the garage had changed the inner tie rod end for the mot.
iichel

Post by iichel »

do you have a report for the alignment?
atopman
New

Post by atopman »

iichel wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:09 am do you have a report for the alignment?
yes, i have the second one, copy below, where he said it was in spec. after this, a few months ago i gave the right wheel half a turn.toe out.
Attachments
tracking kwik fit may 2022.jpg
tracking kwik fit may 2022.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 860 times
iichel

Post by iichel »

All I can see is you have about half a degree too much camber, that might cause such issues but half a degree is not much. Hard to say.
atopman
New

Post by atopman »

appreciate your response iichel, the drivers inside tyre wear might point to something being off, when the slight excess camber you mention is on the other sides tyre (passenger), i think i might try swapping over the wheels, see what that does
iichel

Post by iichel »

yes i'm suspecting something might be off, have the suspension checked if you want. i think that's a good idea. some garages offer a geometry check for about half the price of alignment as well, perhaps that's something worth looking into. might save a tire or two in the future. or tyre, can't remember what's EN-UK and EN-US (simplified).
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

most of them dont even bother to check tire pressures before doing the alignment
Fat
New
Drives: 2017 1.2 TSI Match Edition

Post by Fat »

Had the same thing on my MOT before Christmas and what do you know my car veered left while on single track road and I crashed my motor into a tree lmao
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Eh?

That sounds a bit unfortunate - ice/snow/slush issue?
Bobupndown
New
Drives: None

Post by Bobupndown »

Fat wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:28 pm Had the same thing on my MOT before Christmas and what do you know my car veered left while on single track road and I crashed my motor into a tree lmao
Crashing my car into a tree would tend to gave the complete opposite effect of lmao, in fact I'd be absolutely f*****g raging 😤
5l9g0i.jpg
5l9g0i.jpg (49.74 KiB) Viewed 504 times