travel assist currently unavailable

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

travel assist currently unavailable

Post by MikeDO »

Yet another issue with my new car.

I've had a few of the orange messages flash up on the main dash screen "travel assist currently unavailable" with an orange warning triangle as well and the inevitable "bong" sound that scares the pants off you !!!
But over the last week or so, these have become more frequent.

I've checked the windscreen and it's clear. Is there anything else that I can check that may be causing an issue?

Very annoying to be honest.

PS. I do have a dash cam fitted on the left hand side of the windscreen front mirror. But it looks to be like the camera in the rear view mirror clears it OK. Plus this has been fitted since day one and not caused an issue.
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Re: travel assist currently unavailable

Post by Maarten »

Best start point is a VCDS scan, look in A5
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Based on discussions on VW Golf forums, Travel Assist and Emergency SOS issues have been some of the more common issues with the mk8 Golf. Also seem to be pretty common on the mk4 Seat Leon and Cupra Leon too, but not really a great surprise as the Leon is essentially a Golf wearing a different set of clothes.

As they’re known issues, albeit on the Golf / Leon, hopefully there’s a fix available that can be applied to the Polo.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

I had the travel assist problem for a time. Think I mentioned it on here before. The anomaly appears to have resolved itself for now.
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

johnpolo2 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:58 am I had the travel assist problem for a time. Think I mentioned it on here before. The anomaly appears to have resolved itself for now.
Interesting.

Did it only happen the odd time or two? or was it a bit persistent (like in my case), before it seemed to solve itself?

Even though I'm pretty sure my Dash cam was not interfering with the sensor on the back of the rear view mirror. I re-positioned it further up the windscreen and more to the passenger side. Not like it's made any difference (BONG, BONG, BONG....) :x

Unless it gets worse, or anything more happens, then I'll leave it a couple of weeks and see if it cures itself. Otherwise it's up to Ayr I go (IE. the nearest VW dealer).
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

Post by LEEA123 »

was a constant issue on my golf 8, glad I traded it in, I have had it once on the polo, during bad weather, think that was due to the camera in the windscreen being blocked a little. But golf 8 was terrible until they changed the steering wheel it improved after that a little
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I’ve had this in my gti, Tiguan, troc, etc. it’s usually when the car is going through heavy rain or wet roads where the dirt sprays up and covers a sensor for a minute. Never had it last long at all and nothing I’ve ever worried about.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Looking back, i think it was happening when there was a lot of salt on the roads. I had washed the car as I was aware of sensor issues. No issues in heavy rain.
Temperatures have been higher lately and no salt has been put down and I haven't had a problem since.
Driving in heavy snow the car actually put up a message to clean the sensors, which I did.
However on some forums having a new steering wheel has been mentioned as a fix.
Obviously I will monitor it.
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

The first couple of times it did it, I could have put it down to heavy rain etc.
But sadly at the moment, it does it all the time. Even when the windscreen is spotlessly clean! Damn annoying to be honest.

Replacing the steering wheel, I wonder if that's anything to do with the "clock spring" behind the steering wheel?
As it's something right behind the steering wheel I reckon that's making that God damn awful creaking noise!

FAR to many electronic "aids" (ha ha) in modern cars.

TBC

PS. Did it this morning before I had even backed the car out of the garage. And again, the screen was spotlessly clean.
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

Post by LEEA123 »

MikeDO wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:25 pm The first couple of times it did it, I could have put it down to heavy rain etc.
But sadly at the moment, it does it all the time. Even when the windscreen is spotlessly clean! Damn annoying to be honest.

Replacing the steering wheel, I wonder if that's anything to do with the "clock spring" behind the steering wheel?
As it's something right behind the steering wheel I reckon that's making that God damn awful creaking noise!

TBC

PS. Did it this morning before I had even backed the car out of the garage. And again, the screen was spotlessly clean.
it's very annoying, if like you say it is happening and no reasonable explanation why then it really needs booking in to be looked at,
I think the steering wheel replacement i had on the golf 8, was something to do with the wiring loom, tbh your issues sound exactly like my golf 8 issue was
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

MikeDO wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:25 pm The first couple of times it did it, I could have put it down to heavy rain etc.

TBC

Is your front Vw badge dirty? As one of the sensors is behind the badge from memory.
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:10 am

TBC

Is your front Vw badge dirty? As one of the sensors is behind the badge from memory.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll double check that tomorrow.
GTIgeek
New
Drives: GTI 2022

Post by GTIgeek »

Hello guys, same problem for me on a POLO GTI new from June 22 !

I've been visiting twice my dealer , no error detected in the system ... nothing they can do without a technical note on the model issued by VW.
This happen sometimes 10 times a day, especially in the car parks, winding roads, hairpins, and city driving, never on the highways or motorways.
I regret having traded in my 2020 GTI for this 22 model, too "german engineers" sophisticated with and advanced technique not yet fully mastered.
Who has found a durable solution without having the system fully disconnected by the dealer?

Faithfully yours

OA
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

My year model (thankfully) doesnt have travel assist (forward collision warning etc) installed and wanted to ask, if one disables the feature, is it like the stop/start that needs to be disabled on every start up? That would serisouly get my goat, so to speak.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Travel assist on the new model has to be activated but forward collision protection is on as standard. If you turn off this forward collision protection completely and then have an accident, it can void your warranty and insurance as you’ve turned off safety features.

Easiest thing to do is to switch from collision protection to minimum distance. I never use travel assist and switch off lane assist, can only guess that’s why I don’t find any issues with it.