travel assist currently unavailable

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Re: travel assist currently unavailable

Post by AndyGTi »

I went into the Assist systems and turned off the Travel Assist. I just have the "basic" Adaptive Cruise Control and I am much happier. Its not as easy as a single button and I think you press a road sign on the display and can then de-activate the travel Assist part of Cruise Control. (Its wonderful that you can drive over roundabouts with no brake or accelerator and it recognises bends in road), but it was too much and I prefer to use Adaptive Cruise and regulate speed with my input

Yes, as said above I would keep Front Assist activated and I certainly have reason to be thankful after I spent too long playing with Sat Nav. Warning came in and I got to brakes (in Town situation) to avoid bump/crash.

I would also say the error message count has dropped. Its still not perfect and keeping sensors clean also seems like a pre-requisite but there are times when it has objected and the sensor areas look as clean as any part of the car.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

Interesting....

After some two weeks plus of constant amber warning messages and Bong, Bong, Bong every damn journey. The car has been as quiet as a church mouse for the last three days. And the windscreen is just as clean as its been for the last several weeks etc.

I am starting to wonder about the time line of this issue. The start of the problem was pretty much when we had the SERIOUS flooding in the Dumfries area. A couple of the floods that I had to drive through (Dr.s appointment to go to) were of Biblical proportions! Just wondering if something got some damp in, as the bow wave driving through a couple of the flooded sections was pretty impressive. Though I would have thought that all the sensors were higher up (EG. the windscreen and inside the car).

I'll keep an eye on things. But if its sorted now, then I'm more than happy.

Just need to do something about the creaking steering, as its doing my head in.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

MikeDO wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:39 pm Interesting....

After some two weeks plus of constant amber warning messages and Bong, Bong, Bong every damn journey. The car has been as quiet as a church mouse for the last three days. And the windscreen is just as clean as its been for the last several weeks etc.

I am starting to wonder about the time line of this issue. The start of the problem was pretty much when we had the SERIOUS flooding in the Dumfries area. A couple of the floods that I had to drive through (Dr.s appointment to go to) were of Biblical proportions! Just wondering if something got some damp in, as the bow wave driving through a couple of the flooded sections was pretty impressive. Though I would have thought that all the sensors were higher up (EG. the windscreen and inside the car).

I'll keep an eye on things. But if its sorted now, then I'm more than happy.

Just need to do something about the creaking steering, as its doing my head in.
There’ve been some mk8 Golf owners who’ve found they’re getting more Bongs during the colder weather, so it’ll be interesting to see if the frequency reduces - or even stops completely - when the weather warms up.
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

Spoke to soon.... after several totally quiet days... went to reverse the car out of the garage and Bong, Bong, Bong.
Checked the windscreen, totally clean/clear.

It might actually help if the message was a bit more explicit!
Fair enough, I would hope it would throw up some sort of error code that VW can read. But that involves a trip to the Dealers.

I'll monitor the situation over the next couple of months and see how it goes.
Don't really want what could end up as several round trips to Ayr at this time of year.

TBC
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Post by Maarten »

Why not try to look for faults in VCDS?
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

Maarten wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:32 pm Why not try to look for faults in VCDS?
Don't have one myself (they look pretty expensive) and don't know anyone with one.
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Post by Maarten »

There are some people here on the forum that have VCDS or OBD11
Just ask for it, someone will probably help you.
With fault codes, looking for the problem is easier.
GTIgeek
New
Drives: GTI 2022

Post by GTIgeek »

I've just heard from VW consumer services in France that the factory is working on a Software update that should solve the issue... Problem is it is not ready yet and is supposed to be made available " in the course of the year 2023" pretty vague ! Do you have on your side more info about this potential update?
Good news is that they recognise the issue, Bad news they have not solved it yet :-)
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

GTIgeek wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:10 pm I've just heard from VW consumer services in France that the factory is working on a Software update that should solve the issue... Problem is it is not ready yet and is supposed to be made available " in the course of the year 2023" pretty vague ! Do you have on your side more info about this potential update?
Good news is that they recognise the issue, Bad news they have not solved it yet :-)
Good to hear. Wonder if and when it gets released, if it will be an over the air update? Time will tell I suppose.

Fingers crossed, my car has been quiet on the Travel Assist front for a few days now. Long may it last.
Sbal
New
Drives: '23 GTI

Post by Sbal »

My wife had the issue this morning on the school run, the car is caked in grime and road salt so I've cleaned the front VW badge where the sensor sits. The windscreen was clean. I know one post in this thread mentioned this issue happened when salt was being used on the roads. The other thing she said was that the car cut out at a junction and wouldn't restart the first time. She put it into park so should have restarted. It restarted on the second attempt after putting the ignition key on it's off position. It then showed the engine light for the rest of the trip to school, and on her way home. Once home, like I mentioned earlier I clean the sensor and locked the car for about ten minutes and restarted the car and the engine light has gone. I'll be doing the afternoon run and see if any of the issues reoccur. Yikes 😬😄
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

Far too much tech in modern cars if you ask me :(
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

MikeDO wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:10 pm Far too much tech in modern cars if you ask me :(
Totally agree.
Sbal
New
Drives: '23 GTI

Post by Sbal »

Sbal wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:01 am My wife had the issue this morning on the school run, the car is caked in grime and road salt so I've cleaned the front VW badge where the sensor sits. The windscreen was clean. I know one post in this thread mentioned this issue happened when salt was being used on the roads. The other thing she said was that the car cut out at a junction and wouldn't restart the first time. She put it into park so should have restarted. It restarted on the second attempt after putting the ignition key on it's off position. It then showed the engine light for the rest of the trip to school, and on her way home. Once home, like I mentioned earlier I clean the sensor and locked the car for about ten minutes and restarted the car and the engine light has gone. I'll be doing the afternoon run and see if any of the issues reoccur. Yikes 😬😄
No issues on the afternoon run but I noticed the virtual cockpit had updated 😮. Where distance to the car ahead is displayed and can be adjusted it usually displays the lane, and is occupied by an image of a polo if there is a vehicle ahead of you. It will now show a small speed sign with MPH noted on it between the lane edges when the car is adjusting maximum speed when driving through different speed restriction zones. This was not showing before. A change in speed zone was only shown on the main display. I have been keeping a close eye on all of the display areas and after 1800 miles it's the first time I have spotted it. The trips done are exactly the same so it was obvious this was something new. If there had been an over the air update, it was pretty unsettling that it rebooted itself on the road.
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

Damn... after several weeks of total silence.

BONG... it's back by popular demand (not)!

Decent day, all sensors clear. Doesn't seem any rhyme or reason to me?

If it carries on like this, then I think that I will pop into the dealer and have a word with them.

VERY annoying.

PS. GOOGLE shows many complaints about this issue.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

MikeDO wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:40 pm Damn... after several weeks of total silence.

BONG... it's back by popular demand (not)!

Decent day, all sensors clear. Doesn't seem any rhyme or reason to me?

If it carries on like this, then I think that I will pop into the dealer and have a word with them.

VERY annoying.

PS. GOOGLE shows many complaints about this issue.
@MikeDO; I understand your annoyance and you have my sympathies. Hope it’s something with a simple solution or the bongs stop of their own accord and silence is resumed soon 🤞.

Quite a few forum members over on golfgtiforum.co.uk with mk8 Golf GTI’s have experienced persistent bongs. Seems to be an ongoing issue and with some owners, their cars had been relatively bong-free until the latest OTA software update - has your car’s software been updated recently?

I’m quite pleased my car is ‘old’ (2020 pre-facelift Polo GTI+) and has previous generation software. Being bong-free is bliss.