travel assist currently unavailable

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Re: travel assist currently unavailable

Post by MikeDO »

Thanks for that :)

I've only had one OTA update and that was a few weeks back. And this issue has only re-appeared over the last couple of days.
I'm not even convinced that it does actually disable anything, even temporarily. As I've been using ACC when its happened and ACC seems to just carry on working fine.

It would not be so bad but for the VERY loud BONG noise that even when you are half expecting it, makes you jump out of your skin. Quite why they had to make the warning noise so loud is beyond me.
You could understand it if it was flagging up some sort of serious error :(
I would go so far as to say it's somewhat of a hazard. Should you be pulling out into fast moving traffic and Big Ben chooses that moment to go off!

Between this and waiting for a new steering column (to sort my creaking steering) it is somewhat taking the pleasure out of driving at the moment.

I REALLY wish they gave you the option in the Infotainment system to permanently disable a lot of these "so called" safety aids.

I'm pretty sure that I've read somewhere that soon you wont even be able to temporarily disable things like "lane assist", "stop/start" etc.
Makes you wonder how we ever managed to drive real cars back in the 80's etc. (God that makes me feel so old).

TBC
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

MikeDO wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:46 pm Thanks for that :)

I REALLY wish they gave you the option in the Infotainment system to permanently disable a lot of these "so called" safety aids.

I'm pretty sure that I've read somewhere that soon you wont even be able to temporarily disable things like "lane assist", "stop/start" etc.
Makes you wonder how we ever managed to drive real cars back in the 80's etc. (God that makes me feel so old).

TBC
That’s my understanding - it won’t be possible to switch off those nannying safety aids in future - no doubt to prepare us for when autonomous (driverless) cars hit the streets. With VW’s recent history of software development, an autonomous VW isn’t something I’d want to travel in any time soon 😲!

Yes, real cars (and, yes it makes me feel old too) …….and many apologies for digressing and going way, way off topic but I can remember those real cars where the ‘tech’ consisted of such things as manual window winders, vacuum push button windscreen washers, power steering was pure muscle power, ABS was perfecting the art of cadence braking, sat nav was an AA road map and if you needed to make a phone call, you’d find a phone box with a coin operated pay phone 🤣. Sunday morning tinkering under the bonnet was the norm for many, doing maintenance tasks such as changing spark plugs or resetting the plug gaps, and changing distributor contact points. From what I’ve read on some forums, there are owners who don’t even perform regular checks on under-bonnet fluid levels or check tyre pressures these days, choosing instead to rely on the car ‘telling’ them when something needs topping up.

It makes me smile when people on forums lament not having must-have ‘essentials’ such as multiple colour options for ambient lighting, or the ability to have dual map displays (on infotainment screen and instrument display) etc. in their cars. First world problems IMHO………🤔. However, given the choice of a modern car or one from the 1970’s / 1980’s, I’d always take the modern car with all the tech and safety equipment. I wouldn’t want to drive a car with 1970’s / 1980’s safety standards on todays roads; if the worst were to happen, the chances of survival might be slim to none. I’ll still do the regular fluid and tyre pressure checks in my modern high tech car though…………..
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Looks like I'm having a new steering wheel to solve this problem. Doesn't happen all the time but still annoying when it does. VW confirm today.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

johnpolo2 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:04 pm Looks like I'm having a new steering wheel to solve this problem. Doesn't happen all the time but still annoying when it does. VW confirm today.
From what I’ve read on some of the Golf forums, replacement steering wheels have on back order with no ETA for when they’ll be delivered to dealerships to fix this issue. With the number of vehicles waiting for new steering wheels, this must be costing VW a small fortune. I also read earlier this week that rather than replace the steering wheels, VW will in future just be replacing the faulty components within the steering wheel.

Based on discussions on some of the Golf forums and seatcupra.net forum, it seems that the replacement steering wheel doesn’t provide a permanent solution in all cases; some forum members who’ve had replacement steering wheels have reported the problem reoccurring - I can’t be certain but I think the reoccurrence was after a subsequent OTA software update.
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

johnpolo2 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:04 pm Looks like I'm having a new steering wheel to solve this problem. Doesn't happen all the time but still annoying when it does. VW confirm today.
Interesting.
My car goes in this coming Monday for this to be looked at. They want to keep it for a couple of days, FOC loan car until I get the Polo back.

I'll post an update when I get an update.

As you say "Doesn't happen all the time but still annoying when it does".

From GOOGLE it looks like this issue has been around for a couple of years now. More than a bit disappointing that they appear to have not yet got to the bottom of it!

The garage has mentioned the steering wheel issue to me previously and have commented that a "number" of people have been waiting several months for a replacement to turn up :(
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

Well it did not take them 2 days to diagnose my issue, got a phone call at mid-day .... Needless to say, I've joined the Queue for a New Steering wheel!
On back order, isn't everything these days :(

As this issue appears to have been around (most VAG based cars with this steering wheel) for over two years now, why have they not come up with a solution and implemented it?

The only silver lining (if you can call it that), is that the garage that I'm dealing with (Border Motor Dumfries, part of the Parks motor group now) seem pretty decent to deal with.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

For those forum members waiting for replacement steering wheels, the post below is from vwroc.com forum - posted earlier this morning by an Australian mk8 Golf R owner;

1 hour ago, mpv said:
My brother took his troc R in today for diagnosis due to non stop TA and SOS dinging. He is the one whose mk8 GTI had a new steering wheel earlier. This time they did the software update, and advised the first shipment of new steering wheels to Australia had not resolved the problem and are not being deployed or fitted anymore. And he is on a wait list like me for late June for a revised replacement wheel. The still advise the whole wheel, not just components, be changed.

So be aware the replacement steering wheel may not fix the Travel Assist problems 🤔.
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

SRGTD wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:28 am For those forum members waiting for replacement steering wheels, the post below is from vwroc.com forum - posted earlier this morning by an Australian mk8 Golf R owner;

1 hour ago, mpv said:
My brother took his troc R in today for diagnosis due to non stop TA and SOS dinging. He is the one whose mk8 GTI had a new steering wheel earlier. This time they did the software update, and advised the first shipment of new steering wheels to Australia had not resolved the problem and are not being deployed or fitted anymore. And he is on a wait list like me for late June for a revised replacement wheel. The still advise the whole wheel, not just components, be changed.

So be aware the replacement steering wheel may not fix the Travel Assist problems 🤔.
O'dear.... this does not fill me with enthusiasm here :cry:
PS. Still waiting for my replacement steering wheel. Though the car does go in next Monday (for 2/3 days) for it's new Steering column (noisy steering).
Life......................
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

Oh well.
As I said before I'm on the wait list for the steering wheel. However, the travel assist warning has completely disappeared since VW had the car, but the car keeps dropping the Bluetooth connection to my phone. Never did before. The dealership told me that no updates were applied to the car when they had it. Eyes roll.
There are times when I miss my 2015 GTI, less tech and less to go wrong.
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

johnpolo2 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:53 am Oh well.
As I said before I'm on the wait list for the steering wheel. However, the travel assist warning has completely disappeared since VW had the car, but the car keeps dropping the Bluetooth connection to my phone. Never did before. The dealership told me that no updates were applied to the car when they had it. Eyes roll.
There are times when I miss my 2015 GTI, less tech and less to go wrong.
" the travel assist warning has completely disappeared since VW had the car" ...

This is what keeps happening to me (IE. the warning message stops popping up for a while). Sometimes it will be fine for a couple of weeks. But it always comes back with a vengeance.
Now, rather than the message (+BONG) just flashing up quickly, sometimes several times for no apparent reason, it has started coming up and staying on for several seconds (easily long enough to get a picture of it).
Seems at times like its when you put on a fair bit of steering lock. Though at times it will come on straight away when you first switch the engine on and you are stationary!

It just annoys the hell out of me that this issue has been around for a couple of years now, with no "real" solution. Hey... lets just replace the steering wheel and hope for the best (says VW).

TBC

MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

And on the issues go.

After the failed attempt by the garage to sort my creaking steering. I asked about the replacement steering wheel to sort the Travel Assist "issue". And have been told "hopefully" should turn up late June (flying pigs spotted).
I wonder if this will be one of the "new" steering wheels as mentioned above?

Yet another issue TBC

PS. The garage / dealers continue to be as helpful as possible, which somewhat mitigates all the current outstanding issues with my car.
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

Post by LEEA123 »

MikeDO wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:13 pm And on the issues go.

After the failed attempt by the garage to sort my creaking steering. I asked about the replacement steering wheel to sort the Travel Assist "issue". And have been told "hopefully" should turn up late June (flying pigs spotted).
I wonder if this will be one of the "new" steering wheels as mentioned above?

Yet another issue TBC

PS. The garage / dealers continue to be as helpful as possible, which somewhat mitigates all the current outstanding issues with my car.
Had all this in the golf 8 , once replaced it all went away. So fingers crossed that the steering wheel replacement will sort it .
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

Just wondering if anyone that's waiting for a new steering wheel has heard anything yet?

Last I heard was "by the end of June". Might give the dealer a buzz next week and see what's going on (assuming they know of course :D ).
johnpolo2
Gold Member

Post by johnpolo2 »

MikeDO wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:36 pm Just wondering if anyone that's waiting for a new steering wheel has heard anything yet?

Last I heard was "by the end of June". Might give the dealer a buzz next week and see what's going on (assuming they know of course :D ).
No news on my steering wheel. Went in on the middle of April. May chase mine up now it's reminded me.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

johnpolo2 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:35 am
MikeDO wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:36 pm Just wondering if anyone that's waiting for a new steering wheel has heard anything yet?

No news on my steering wheel. Went in on the middle of April. May chase mine up now it's reminded me.
Lots of mk8 Golf owners waiting for new steering wheels and have been waiting many months. From what I’ve read on some of the Golf forums, a new steering wheel doesn’t always fix the issue either….🤔