New 2010 1.2 60bhp Engine

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
stevew30
New
Drives: 2010 Polo S 1.2

New 2010 1.2 60bhp Engine

Post by stevew30 »

I bought my son his first car - a 2010 1.2 60hp Polo S and it looks like I've bought a lemon! I did all the basic checks apart from the exhaust on start up. Long story short, after 300 miles he's burnt all the oil, which suggests piston rings rather than valve seals. I now need to get him a replacement / reconditioned engine. Hate using engine brokers or ebay as you just don't know what you're buying! I was thinking if getting his re-built, but it could be that the bores are worn which would mean I've wasted money on a strip down. Anyone off any advice on somewhere honest / reliable to get one?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: New 2010 1.2 60bhp Engine

Post by RUM4MO »

Sorry to hear this, I think that I've read that due to the way that this engine was designed, for many engine re-conditioners, a complete strip down down and re-build is not something that they want to be doing - I think that this covers the crankshaft and all its bearings, but I could be wrong there.
A lot of the problems are caused by the holes in the head where the valves pass through wearing, again, only from reading about this, I don't think that these engines were built with press in valve guides, so any proper re-conditioning would require accurately boring out these holes and pressing in specially made valve guides.

One way to find out more would be to contact an approved engine re-conditioner.

Any used cylinder head will probably be well on the way to having these valve hole issues I'd think.