Burnt rubber smell from exhaust

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Spen1981
New
Drives: Gti

Burnt rubber smell from exhaust

Post by Spen1981 »

Hi all, just a quick one i have a 2021 gti with 7k on the clock. I have just noticed in the last few days that there is a burnt rubber smell coming from the exhaust. Is this anything to be concerned about or has any else encountered this. I will try to get booked into the dealership in the next few weeks but i am just worried that its something serious like burning oil or coolant. I have had the heating in full with the cold snap, so i did think it may me connected but there is no smells inside the car. Sorry if im posting in the wrong section i am new to the forum. And thanks in advance for any input.
tyjc93
New
Drives: Mk10

Re: Burnt rubber smell from exhaust

Post by tyjc93 »

Might be PPF regen.

Look up the signs (theres topics about it on the forum).
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Burnt rubber smell from exhaust

Post by SRGTD »

Yes, it could well be a GPF regen.

@Spen1981; IMHO 7k miles is quite low for a 2021 car, and that could possibly suggest a high proportion of your driving is short journeys. If so, on those short journeys, the engine may not get up to optimum operating temperature and the temperature inside exhaust system and the GPF isn’t hot enough to passively burn off the soot deposits that have collected in the GPF. Under those conditions, if the soot accumulation in the GPF is at the level where a regeneration is required to burn off the soot, the car will perform an active / forced regeneration.

Alternatively, the smell could be something as simple as a plastic bag getting stuck to the hot exhaust system somewhere along it’s length under the car. I’ve read of quite a few instances of this happening over the years on various forums so worth checking under your car if you’ve not already done so.